Spartan Imports Showcasing Magpul PTS ACR & FPG

uscmCorps

The visible portion of the mechbox is definitely V2. It may or may not be what will be in the production gun, but that is V2.

Quick change mechanism is visible and looks like all you have to do is pop off the stock and you'll have access to it. Looks like it's a big knurled screw.

Can't tell anything about the hopup from the pictures other than it looks like it would take a TM M4 inspired design in order to breach open; although it's possible to build the mechanism into the outer barrel design. And it definitely looks like they designed around that principle; gears and adjustments can be whatever.

Wednesday should be fun.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man some of you people are way way way to critical for what was it six pictures of a prototype . Come on, at least wait til SHOT where were get some real info of the production gun, before you start criticizing it, and say you'll just get an A&K because its the same ;) .

I cant wait until we get some info on the release cant wait.

Nice........but I smell "star?" all over it, its very mutch lika a star scar.

Same or very similar barrel/hopup connection, and its quite uniqe type.

Same or very similar GB with quickchange spring.

Wasnt the star up on the wall for making this gun.....in the start of all of this?

Not that any of this is bad..in any way.

PS... the A&K masada has alu upper to;)

All I'll say is that I think it's premature to conclude that the PTS ACR is in anyway related to the A&K Masada aside from being based off similar RS guns (Masada vs. ACR). Until the gun comes out and you have it in hand to compare to an A&K side by side and definitively conclude that one was originated from the other, anything else is pure conjecture. If it comes out and it is decided that PTS was feeding me a load of bull, then the rest of you can have at it. Until then, I respectfully ask for people to exercise a little more patience before making final judgments.

Honestly, when Spartan Imports and Magpul PTS asked me to release this info, I was hesitant about doing it (and told them so) because lacking decent finished product photos, anything else is way too open to criticism from the peanut gallery. IMO, I am of the opinion to tell Magpul PTS to stop releasing information entirely, and when a product is ready for release ... release it to the distributors and let the consumer decide for themselves. Trying to get feedback from this crowd is for the most part, counter productive.

I still stand by my earlier pre-review of the PTS ACR, in hand it is still by far the best AEG I have ever felt in my entire life. It felt light years ahead of the A&K. There have been a lot of products that have come through my hands over the years, the stuff that I liked, I reviewed. There was also a lot of stuff that I was offered to review (in some cases begged to review) and I couldn't in good conscience endorse something I didn't believe in. This ACR, I believe in.

TBH, I'm not all that impressed, especially after the hype generated earlier in the other thread by USCM. They got the flip-up front site wrong, and I think that is frankly ###### after waiting sooo long because they were making a "perfect copy of the official model." They then went on to use the V2 GB, which, whilst good, is nowhere near as good a platform(especially because I'd want to make a DMR out of it) as a V3. It really doesn't strike me as being miles better than my A&K Masada that I have sitting in front of me (But again, this is only looking at pre-production pictars). As someone else mentioned, the barrel change system isn't the ratchet like the real one, and the one they employed looks EXACTLY the same as the A&K, just machined from better metal by the looks of it. Yeah, the finish is better here and there, but it isn't anything as awesome as I was expecting, going on these pictures, FWIF.

'Course, as corps has said, this is still a fairly premature time to make conclusions, I am just sick and tired of airsoft companies promising everything and delivering a fraction of that (a la TSI).

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. The quality of the internals really will make or break it I suppose. I'm sure the externals will be great, and they look quite nice as is, but if the internals are made by star or something similar, that would be a major turnoff for me, anyway.

'Course, as corps has said, this is still a fairly premature time to make conclusions, I am just sick and tired of airsoft companies promising everything and delivering a fraction of that (a la TSI).

Welcome to real life.

V2 or V3... honestly, what's the difference? I think there are enough V2 based guns out there, performing well, that it really doesn't make or break anything. Internally, they're basically the same.

Much as I do like the V2, the V3 is just a much stronger design. As you live in sunny CA, you don't have as big a problem as we in the cold north eastern winters do with broken V2s. This goes across the board with nearly all V2 GBes, "reinforced" or not. The simple fact is if you wish to play in below freezing temp at a gun shooting 400 w/ .2-.25s you are likely to break your gearbox shell at some point during the winter. This doesn't really happen with V3s, as they are MUCH stronger in the front.

The only V2s that don't follow this trend are the KWAs (they are reinforced in the right places up front), Pro-wins, Haynes boxes(best V2 out there, period), and Modify Torus boxes(this is purely from looking at the design, they are the only ones to reinforce the front of the gearbox in a production, "standard" spec'ed ver. 2, but I haven't yet bought one to test). I work, sporadically, for the local airsmith, and this winter alone I have had to replace three ver. 3 GBes due to stress fracture at the front of the cylinder window, and it is NOT a fun or cheap thing to do. Tms go the fastest, but G&P and CA gearboxes often fracture in these spots, as do many ACM ones.

Wow. What a bunch of negative whining. The AEg has not even been released yet and already people on this board are complaining about the gun. Whinning about lack of press releases? Whinning about gear box versions? Whinning about magazines, pricing, finishes on a prototype? Come on, people. We have no details besides what has been kindly reported to us. Let's wait and see before we get our cammies in a bunch.

I for one am looking forward to learning more about this, after the actually product release. Until I have seen a decent review from someone who purchases one and is knowledgable about AEG internals, I will withhold any impulse to formulate opinions. The price tag may seem steep to some, but time will tell if the quality justifies it. If other Magpul products are any indication, I think it will. I am excited about the possible new developments and features of the PTS ACR and I hope they help drive further innovation among other AEG manufacturers.

We all need to wait and see what comes out from Shot Show 2010. Until we have confirmation on the details, whinning and complaining about how we are kept in the dark just really comes off as being a bit spoiled and self-important.

All I'll say is that I think it's premature to conclude that the PTS ACR is in anyway related to the A&K Masada aside from being based off similar RS guns (Masada vs. ACR). Until the gun comes out and you have it in hand to compare to an A&K side by side and definitively conclude that one was originated from the other, anything else is pure conjecture.
Indeed, but until we have one in our hands, it looks an awful lot like the way an A&K is laid out with a few improvements that seemingly came from STAR... dear god I never thought I'd use that phrase...

That's not necessarily a bad thing- the A&K is about 4 steps away from being a perfect AEG IMO: Quick change spring, A more robust hop to handle being bumped about in cases, A mosfet and some sort of self contained cold fusion battery. Since it has evidence of at least one of those visible one that evidence might be visible, one promised and one is currently non-existent outside the fallout games, its probably not going to suck.

There have been a lot of products that have come through my hands over the years, the stuff that I liked, I reviewed. There was also a lot of stuff that I was offered to review (in some cases begged to review) and I couldn't in good conscience endorse something I didn't believe in.

A review doesn't have to be positive y'know. ;) I know its difficult to pan something when you've been asked to review it by the folk making/selling it, but frankly it shows greater integrity on your part- and the folk asking for the review -to go ahead with an honest piece on a product rather than a sanitised "endorsement".

honestly I'm quite excited from this. I've been sitting on money waiting for this thing to come out so that I can pick up a foliage one ASAP. For an unfinished gun this looks simply excellent in my opinion. The plastic looks solid and the metal looks well machined, once a finish and color are put on it it should look awesome. Further shocking honesty, I'm glad they left the integrated front sight on, as well as going with this model. I like that sight better, and this model looks better to me than the final Remington version. I just still have a hard time taking serious advice from men who can't spell.

Thats some really hot stuff there. A v3 gearbox would be a godsend, but I'm ok with a v2. Judging from the pics, I really do think its a step up from an A&K. Although this isnt the perfect replica o_0 (ugghh front sight), it already looks more attractive than my masada's sitting behind me (if they've got a reinforced adjustable stock, I'm all in. Its impossible to use the slingmount b/c the stock extends with just a little bit of force). With the right price, I'll definitely jump on this piece of it.

I think most of us expected the gun to be somthing it isn't. Not to sound ignorant, as I have never had the gun in my hands, but there seemed to be a bit too much hype over it. Thinking it would be the perfect gun in other words. Nothings perfect I guess. I guess I'll wait before I draw further conclusions on the gun.

A review doesn't have to be positive y'know. ;) I know its difficult to pan something when you've been asked to review it by the folk making/selling it, but frankly it shows greater integrity on your part- and the folk asking for the review -to go ahead with an honest piece on a product rather than a sanitised "endorsement".

Sorry, I should have been more clear. When a manufacturer gives me a product, I'll write up a quickie bullet point review and send them back a copy of it and give them the option of whether or not they want me to finish it and publish it. If prior to sending me anything the manufacturer gives me the go ahead to just post whatever review positive or negative, I'll do it. But that never happens. Most manufacturers are so invested in the product, that by the time a sample is in my hands, the molds are finished and the product is ready to hit the shelves. I will however give them honest feedback and just leave it at that. As important as you all feel reviews are, I also place personal importance on working with manufacturers to improve their products. So I'll review something honestly if they ask me to, but I'm more interested in making sure what they produce is a good product.

Now, any products I pay for out of my own pocket, those I post reviews of regardless of whether or not they're positive. Like my KA Lancer Midcap review, they're good mags ... but only after you fix them. That said, I have a job that typically has me working 13-16 hour days 5 to 7 day weeks depending on where we're at in the current movie I'm working on. If I had unlimited spare time and could make airsoft my job, I'd gladly spend all my time reviewing products good or bad. But that isn't possible so I generally only review the products I've bought that I feel strongly enough about and that I'm interested in reviewing. Sometimes if I know the manufacturer would be open to it, even having bought the product myself I'll work with them to improve the product before reviewing it because I can hopefully save them some grief down the road with consumers and distributors. I did that with TSI and their Galils (I personally bought their micro and their SAR Galils) as well as products from DYTac and a few other manufacturers. Sometimes they want to hear what I have to say, sometimes they don't. Just because I'm not posting about something or reviewing, doesn't mean I'm not doing whatever I can be it big or small to help the various manufacturers I have input with improve their products.

Regarding the "sanitized endorsement" comment ... the back story behind the ACR may have been sanitized by all the parties involved (I can only relay what I gather from all my sources, including those not affiliated with Magpul PTS), but my opinion on the pre-production ACR I saw first hand is in no way "sanitized". I stand firmly behind my opinion of what I saw and reported exactly that. I stand behind my "integrity" on that.

I don't feel like anything I said was premature in any sense. I haven't made a single comment questioning or even regarding the quality of the product. MagPul has always released fantastic, quality products, and like I said I will continue buying their products. But I don't believe I should be criticized for wanting more information on the internals. If an AEG doesn't have quality internals, then the replica is a just a pretty shell. And for the price tag this thing may carry, I don't see it as out-of-line to expect anything but top quality internal parts for this weapon. I don't live a life where $450 comes easily, and if I do decide to save up and spend that much for a quality weapon (which I have no problems doing if I feel this product deserves it), then I want to make sure that I'm getting what I pay for.

I agree completely that it is WAY too early to make judgements on the quality on the internals of this replica, thats why if you check my other post you'll see I haven't said a single thing regarding it. My only complaint is that I feel there has been a lack of information regarding this product considering the price it carries.

And most importantly, to USMC, all I have to say is THANK YOU! And I mean that sincerely. Anyone on here who says something ill towards you or holds you liable about anything regarding this is dead wrong. You're simply the messenger, and I completely understand the stress you probably feel by putting yourself in front of this information.

Fair play, I wasn't saying you had left out anything, and to be fair there's no evidence yet that would suggest anything of the sort has happened with the ACR, though if I wanted to play Sherlock I could extrapolate a fairly convincing maybe even partly true version of events surrounding the ACR and the Masada etc, but certain organisations who may be implicit in my extrapolations have more lawyers than me. Whilst its fun to tell people to "go away and procreate" some of these days they might actually go through with a libel case. :P

I believe in uscmCorps :P

However, going back over your impressions of the earlier version, it does seem too good to be true in places. I'm just worried that I've built this up in my mind to be the second coming of Jesus in airsoft form, and I might be dissapointed :(

I just want a gun that will potentially never break and be a good option for future upgrading, and if that's what this is, I'll be ok with that. Just got to wait for the info I guess.

Hmmm, Im not nearly as impressed as i thought i was going to be. the lack of V3 gearbox is a failure, call it what you like, those who say it doesnt matter V2 or V3 wise but it does. and magpul or at least USMCcorps did state, as one of its pluses over the A&K that it was going to have a V3,.,

claimed from the same scorce,

• Most up to date version of the ACR:

And thats not exactly accurate, Not a huge problem mind you, but it was claimed as a positive over the A&K "inaccurate" offering,., now they are both just out dated builds of a gun that evolved further before the release.

Unless the release model is significantly different to this "polished A&K Masada" then i would see this as a failure, its good, but offers nothing new.

Archived