Spartan Imports Showcasing Magpul PTS ACR & FPG

uscmCorps

When you talk about "modified V3" you completely alter what can or can't happen. Moving gears, removing mechanical fire control, short motor, custom spring guide, altering angles, etc... That's just what I've done, but it's really pointless and splitting hairs between what can be done and what makes sense to do.

Why go through all of that just to make a V3 do what a V2 already does?

And to what gain? The ability to run higher FPS when the V2 is clearly good enough for the vast majority of airsofters? You might as well license the PTW design because the cost would probably be lower.

Oooh. PTW ACR... that's like a combination of beef and pork ribs... mmm.... ribs....

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The benefits of the V3 are

Motor Cage

External Wiring

Strength of the cylinder head area(albeit this isnt a problem for me)

If they managed to slip a g36 type cage onto a v2 i would be happy despite the aggravation of internal wiring

You dont seem to be getting the point here,

People lapped up the PTS ACR on paper thanks to its spec, it was supposed to reinvent what has been done before it., now knowing that they have ditched the V3 in favour of a V2, what other downscales might have been put in place?

I understand the pics are of a prototype, but there's only a regular wiring set on there and no sign of any electronic fire control. It was stated that it will be the latest evolution of the weapon and it simply isn't. I do hope when pics from the shot show start to surface, they prove the gun has significantly developed since this set of pics from spartan imports, Because if its not, then its not offering much more than the much cheaper A&K Masada.

Yeah, they said V3, they show V2. Get passed it. Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy aren't real either; you're still alive. You'll live beyond this as well. If you want to say the same thing over and over again you might as well just put it in your signature.

Some people here are taking this way too personally.

Its a toy guys.

Im as disappointed as the next guy but if the gun turns out to be a decent AEG with a quick change barrel system ill probably bite provided the price isnt too bad.

If its ridiculously expensive and does nothing that my existing AEG's dont already do then ill be the first one to say no thanks.

Is the replica as good as i had hoped? No, not based off of the prototype pictures but we will have to wait and see what SHOT show holds. I dont think there is going to be much difference but only time will tell. V.2 Gearboxes are good enough for what most people do with them. Would a super duper V3 reinforced front end have been nice? Sure, it certainly would have been but again, for what MOST users need a modified V2/V3 will suit us just fine.

Again, i really think we need to wait and see whats showcased at SHOT. Those are pretty rough prototype photos and i would imagine those were taken back in October/November of 2009 which is a LONG time ago in the grand scheme of things. Look at how much the Masada/ACR has changed over just the past six months.

Also, the option of the actual railed handguard is another reason people want it. The A&K Masada dosent have one. (Big reason id rather go with the PTS)

I'll stay out of the discussion after this, but imo, you guys expected way to much. VFC guns are the same price and don't revolutionize anything, just look amazing. Which this ACR does.

But I guess I'm not a internals guy. So I dont understand the big deal. Get a G36 if you want a G36 gearbox.

Id personally rather my gun to be to scale then use a huge gearbox. Ever heard of the TSI TAVOR debacle?

I am glad USCM has enough sense to ignore you guys blaming him.

I'll just wait for shot show pics before I post in this thread again. :P

Isnt the shot show taking place now or tomorrow? So it shouldn't be long before we know, either way i cant wait as i trust USMC's statement on how good this is will blow every sceptical person out of the water.

But on a side note could we be waiting a while/not see many pics as you have to have a press ticket to be able to take pics if im correct?

going on right now! I'm going nuts lol. I want some pictures!

Some one there should be tweeting or facebooking the whole thing with an iphone or something similar.

Yeah I can't believe how there's no committed coverage on this. I know MilSpecMonkey will be all over Magpul's and Remington's booths but this is Spartan Imports... honestly I can't wait two more days to see fresh high res shots of that thing.

I am glad USCM has enough sense to ignore you guys blaming him.

Not really ignoring it. I just don't have anything to add until I see the piece tomorrow. I fully intend on asking for clarification on the specifics.

The prototype is still by far the nicest AEG I've ever held. I love my VFC SR15's which IMO are some of the nicest ARs out there and comparable in price, but they're still not as nice as the prototype ACR. I've spent a lot more for a LOT less.

Ok, here is what I was told by PTS at the show this morning.

They claim it is a modified ver.3 mechbox, that was made longer/thinner to fit the receiver correctly.

It does use a motor cage.

Looking at it, it looks just like a ver. 2 mechbox, and until it is proven otherwise, that's what I think it is.

(with the longer part being the area for the quick change spring)

It had a plastic hop up unit (unlike the metal one in the prototype photos).

The release date will be around march. Still around $450 for the base model.

The AK lower version is very cool.

Too much stuff to see in the 1st day, I'm going to sleep now.

They claim it is a modified ver.3 mechbox, that was made longer/thinner to fit the receiver correctly.

It does use a motor cage.

Looking at it, it looks just like a ver. 2 mechbox, and until it is proven otherwise, that's what I think it is.

(with the longer part being the area for the quick change spring)

It's possible (and likely) that the GB is a V2 based on what you said. At least the motor's caged. One of my buddies going with me has experience as a gun tech so I'll have him ask the more probing questions about the specifics to deduce if it is in fact a V2 or V3.

If you are allowed to take photos, would you make a few ones for us in Europe? :)

I have a press pass so I will do.

This is a bit OT, but can someone tell me why they painted the prototype silver? I'm not bashing or anything like that at all, just me being curious.

It's not silver. It's bare metal (machined aluminum/aluminium).

USCM are you alowed to give us a release date yet? or have they told you one at least?

I don't know yet but according to Fly'n Brian, you should expect sometime in March.

It's not silver. It's bare metal (machined aluminum/aluminium).

Is there any evidence to support this yet?

That looks like it has had a light undercoat or is just fresh casting, certainly doesn't look like at all like bare machined aluminium, infact I'm still suspecting its cast and machine finished in places at the very most if they're still looking at a $450 price for the whole gun, no signs of machining marks on there though so I'd guess the original claim of being machined from billet is out of the window as I expected.

Archived