Calling yourself out.

greg

Well said Stealthbomber.

Hit calling/claims of cheating said out loud are infectious. Soon everyone is doing it and people who were not cheating start cheating because they have been accused of cheating by people who are obviously cheating... ;)

Or to put it another way, if verbal accusations are allowed to go unpunished, then it all goes to rat bottom material. A couple of the sites I have visited recently actually punish a cheat caller far more harshly than a cheat. Its the marshals job to deal with cheats. Not players causing bad blood.

I have been in games where score points are deducted every time a marshal hears people call others 'cheats' out loud. Its a great idea. People just roll with it or think more carefully before deciding a 400 foot shot was well in range with a gun hop incorrectly set and a person who thinks bb's have magic powers!

The one thing I find consistant with players is no one other than those going for a sniping role seems to be able to estimate range to any real degree of accuracy. Its staggering really. I have seen people make claims that a gun was shooting a 2 inch group at 30m and in fact they were shooting at half that range. :rolleyes:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The one thing I find consistant with players is no one other than those going for a sniping role seems to be able to estimate range to any real degree of accuracy. Its staggering really. I have seen people make claims that a gun was shooting a 2 inch group at 30m and in fact they were shooting at half that range. :rolleyes:

There's always been a big element of "The emperors new clothes" with airsoft.

It used to be much worse but it's still around.

Whether it's discussing groupings at range, FPS consistency, battery life, ROF or whatever else, people will ALWAYS exaggerate because they feel like their results are inferior to everybody else.

Course, other people read this stuff and the cycle repeats.

People should go take a look at Justpistols.

Snowman has been testing pistols since the year dot and you have to assume he knows what he's doing.

At a range of 6m most of his results show the pistol peppering the target rather than cutting a neat hole in the middle.

The FPS he records often show 20fps or more variance from shot to shot.

So how come the internet is full of people claiming their pistols are significantly better than the results Snowman records?

Wow stealth, your previous post nailed it. And your right about not calling people out is on the money as well. People that call people out, be it in the game or sz, should be ejected in my opinion, absolutley does my nut in. Let a marshall have a discreet word. Its that simple.

Ps does anyone still play with armour and gun hit rules? Where im from a hit is a hit....

But I want to know, do hair hits count?. As in a bb going through the old fro'. Its happened to me twice.

This thread is all about good sportsmanship.

So in that spirit, I think you should check with the site operator & see what rules they have on this.

At the sites I have played, the 'everything including pouches & the brim of your hat' would indicate that 'hair', should be treated as a hit. :D

It amazes me, that we don't include gun hits.

Back in my paintball days, the gun hit counted & it surprised me that airsoft took a different stance.

It's a tough one for me. On the rare occasion a bb glances off my gun, I think that I should take it. I then remind myself of the rules & often shout 'gun hit' at the player responsible, so that he doesn't think I'm 'Cheating'.

On most of the gun hit occasions, I call myself out. Usually because, if the gun wasn't there, I figure the bb would have hit me. Accidentaly using the gun as a shield (even if you are shouldering & firing it) doesn't seem right to me.

Greg.

We have a rule in place at B.o.E

If you call someone out then you call your self out at the same time. So you best be sure you know your hitting the other person to say a word or else you are out the rest of the days events and then one of the two is going home. gotta have teeth to the rules.

we have had maybe 1 or 2 times in our 4 years that someone was callled out and I dont really ever have anyone call anyone out for hits.

It amazes me, that we don't include gun hits.

Back in my paintball days, the gun hit counted & it surprised me that airsoft took a different stance.

It's a tough one for me. On the rare occasion a bb glances off my gun, I think that I should take it. I then remind myself of the rules & often shout 'gun hit' at the player responsible, so that he doesn't think I'm 'Cheating'.

On most of the gun hit occasions, I call myself out. Usually because, if the gun wasn't there, I figure the bb would have hit me. Accidentaly using the gun as a shield (even if you are shouldering & firing it) doesn't seem right to me.

Greg.

Werkz rules are that gun hits count, but don't put you out if you got a backup. You will however, need to transition over to your backup weapon until you're dead. However, if I get close enough to touch/grab your gun, Werkz rules are that you ARE dead.

Damn, wish I'd come back to this thread sooner: Going back a bit, but Stealthie and Darthwhite said about taking hits from dry firers. I bang on about the honour thing, but they've had a weapon malfunction. I'm not gonna take that!

I'll take it, if for example, I'm in an impossible situation or if they've done something seriously cool and by pure fluke, not quite got me. If they've not the foresight to make sure they've got ammo when they try and shoot me, then more fool them!

My site plays, if gun is hit, go to secondary unless you WANT to take it as a full hit. If you don't have a secondary, it's a full hit.

the only people i have ever had cause to call out is peeps on my own team who haven't noticed hits on themselves. not loudly of flag waving OMGDOODYOUISCHEATZ but just to tell them they had been hit, it is up to them if they take it or not. If they decide not to take it or seem to just be ignoring it, i take my fire support elsewhere.

TBH, my main issue (and I mean personally) is that I'd probably never be sure enough of a weapon hit to try and call it as such.

Okay, maybe if I had my L96 up at aim and I saw a BB ping off the front of the receiver I'd know it was a weapon hit but most of the time a weapon hit is going to be ambiguous enough that I'll just take it as a solid hit.

It just doesn't seem worth the potential hassle of disputing the hit (especially when bearinging in mind what I said about flinching etc).

If anything hits me (or anything I'm carrying/wearing/shooting) then it's a hit and I'll walk.

I'm very big on the honor part of airsoft, but Im not going to call a hit because someones shooting close to me, or because theyre dry firing. If they can't hit me, I dont see a reason to say they are. I fully believe in the phrase "When in doubt, call yourself out.", but thats very different then calling hits when you KNOW you aren't getting hit. Also, Im not too keen on the idea of calling out just because you think getting hits inevitable. Sounds like some of you guys need a motivation speech. :D To the death! Oh, and I also think bang rules are VERY important for safety in game play. People aren't going to take the time to shoot in a safe space when their adrenaline's going.

Oh, and I also think bang rules are VERY important for safety in game play. People aren't going to take the time to shoot in a safe space when their adrenaline's going.

Not too sure about that.

I think people are more likely to take a shot reflexively before deciding to say "bang!".

If, for example, I come around a corner and find myself confronted by somebody on the opposite team it's much more reflexive for me to take a shot at his torso (even if that means lowering my point of aim slightly) rather than saying "bang!".

We are out there to shoot each other with toy guns. It's what we are expecting to happen.

I've been in situations where, for example, I've come around a corner only to find somebody with their back to me.

I'm not sure what team they're on so I aim my gun at them, the person looks over his shoulder and says "bang!".

Is that fair or honourable?

I don't think so.

Not too sure about that.

I think people are more likely to take a shot reflexively before deciding to say "bang!".

If, for example, I come around a corner and find myself confronted by somebody on the opposite team it's much more reflexive for me to take a shot at his torso (even if that means lowering my point of aim slightly) rather than saying "bang!".

We are out there to shoot each other with toy guns. It's what we are expecting to happen.

I've been in situations where, for example, I've come around a corner only to find somebody with their back to me.

I'm not sure what team they're on so I aim my gun at them, the person looks over his shoulder and says "bang!".

Is that fair or honourable?

I don't think so.

Its absolutely a reflex thing to shoot them. But people have to go against that reflex in order to stay safe. I dont know what your guys' bang rules are, but everywhere Ive played has said that you have to actually be able to shoot the person(gun loaded and aimed at them) in order to call a bang kill. Bangs kills are definitely safer and help avoid situations where people will just get ###### off at being shot to close.

The bang rule is always contentious. Which ever side of the bang rule you stand.

The great bang debate seems to rear it's ugly head in most threads at the moment.

Perhaps it should have it's own stickie?

I'm not going to bother repeating my stand on it. I think it's in 2 current threads, presently. & many before that.

More stories of honour & fair play any one?

Greg.

Having had situations where it has been better to shoot a player and call bang i see the good and bad of both sides.

In my opinion it is best to shoot only if you have no other choice, a player spinning to fire at you etc or the sound of you shouting them out is louder than a single round in a not so delicate place.

On the other side it is best to take a bang kill but always raise hands and try to find your opponent, that way you do have to put up with idiots on the other side of thin walls and those that are a distance away doing it.

'FireKnife'

In my opinion:

"Do you take your hits if you are not sure if you are hit"

Is the the same as "Do you ignore hits you think might not have actually hit you."

For me its clear - you walk.

If someone was dry firing at me I would shoot them back and yell "reload mate" or something.

----

Now bang kills. For me these are for when you are sneaky. I have been standing in rooms which no one has a clue I am I. I have put the muzzle to touch people and said bangbangbangbang - obviously they take the hit. I've even had an opponent yell thank you for NOT shooting him when he entered the room while on his way back to regen. Likewise when you sneak up behind someone and get within say the same room, sometimes I will yell bangbangbang (and yell so the opfor know theres shooting going on). If you catch people unaware, point your gun at them and yell bang they will turn. See your gun and take the hit. If you aren't going to fire theres no risk of pointing it at them - or its a lot reduced anyway.

I think your gun needs to be pointed to "kill" to make a bang kill. Take your finger off the trigger if you want to be safer.

If its over about 3m I will take the shot however.

If you both come upon one another at extreme close range suddenly I think you take the shot. This is why I wear full face (lost a tooth already don't want another). I don't think its fair to say bang since when you are both surprised anything could happen...

I'll say one thing though. There are also times when I am very sure that I've not been hit even at very close ranges. Some people underestimate the effect that a surprise move can have on their aiming, or how hard it can be for them to hit a target that is moving at a fair clip laterally relative to them.

So in a no-win situation I might call myself out after holding out for ages, but when I know I've excecuted a move to perfection I'm not going to call myself out just because someone couldn't hit me from 5m away.

• 2 weeks later...
The bang rule is always contentious. Which ever side of the bang rule you stand.

The great bang debate seems to rear it's ugly head in most threads at the moment.

Perhaps it should have it's own stickie?

I'm not going to bother repeating my stand on it. I think it's in 2 current threads, presently. & many before that.

More stories of honour & fair play any one?

Greg.

I agree with this, would be nice to have a sticky thread on the bang rule..

• 1 month later...

Archived