Calling yourself out.

greg

I would always take a hit even if I wasnt sure.

Its not because im an honest guy, i lie about all sorts. The reason is I dont want some middle aged block with a chip on his shoulder calling me out in the middle of the game/safe room.

Its strange, it seems like everyone believes the guy that names and shames, not the guy that 'isnt calling his hits'.

Its also funny that its usually the people who say "god its just a game" that are the worst for it.....

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I prefer 'Maim, kill, burn!" myself....

In all seriousness, I prefer the surrender rule where you need to have a functioning gun and after all, you go into this game expecting to be shot, the most consideration I'd expect from another player is a single shot to somewhere padded, I actually find surrender kills things for people feeling a bit ballsy...I can't help hearing 'Humiliation!' due to a surrender kill often being the result of you lacking situational awareness.

One time of serious indecision was at a game this Sunday at the Asylum, moving out of the bungalows I felt like I took a hit to my arm, I couldn't see anyone and I thought I hear rounds bouncing off a wall that had hit someone further to my front and right. A little unsure and hanging back and slinging my gun without calling hit I started scrutinising the area to my front and it became evident that someone was crouching on the other side of the hedged fence. Now I'm not sure if they had hit me but earlier that day I had used a similar tactic of firing through the small gaps that weren't grown over by the hedge, so all indicators pointing towards this guy having done the same thing, I called myself out.

I also called myself out in a woodland game once for a hit on the head from a strange direction (straight up) which on returning to my friends turned out to be an acorn :P

The same exact thing happened to me. I was at Sequoia, and something hit me on the head. I went ahead and called it. When I looked up, I saw a squirrel scampering through the trees. It threw it at me (don't ask me why). I still took the hit from the ninja-squirrel. :D

I once used an empty gun to simulate firing to deliberately draw fire. I think I would have felt bad if the guy (who was maybe less than 5m away decided to call a hit. Same applies to bang kills, if your gun isn't working, technically you should not be allowed to "kill" someone with it. Thing is, how do we know if someone bang killing has a working gun? All comes down to integrity I think.

I'm going to get flamed for saying this, but I'm not entirely happy with the whole "their gun wasn't working but i'll take it anyway" thing.

Same here TBH.

I think a lot of people over-egg the whole "honour" thing.

If I get hit by a BB, or I think I have, I'll walk.

Until you hit me with a BB I'm gonna keep shooting.

As an example, what happens if you stumble over the top of a hill, only to find a sniper pointing his rifle at you from 10ft away?

Sorry but I'm gonna shoot him with my AEG cos I'm allowed to whereas he has a MED of 20m (or whatever).

He failed to field the correct equipment (in this case, a backup weapon) and paid the price.

For a similar reason, I'm not really keen on bang-kills.

I have seen a person run through a room and go "bangbangbangbang!!! got you all!"

Erm, no. We're not playing tag here.

In that situation, or anything similar, "honourable" is putting one BB in the persons chest rather than lighting them up like an xmas tree.

Standing 10ft away and saying "bang" is just a bit silly.

Let's face it, so far this thread has been full of a bunch of people relating accounts of times when they've walked even when they weren't actually hit.

With that in mind, why should anybody accept a bang-kill at all?

To be clear, I'm all for knife-kills (or touch-kills). If you can get close enough to tap me on the shoulder then I'm happy.

Anybody who knows me will tell you that I'm pretty honourable and light-hearted about airsoft but I just think it's unwise to apply convoluted concepts of honour.

All that happens is that you'll end up getting upset when others don't adhere to what you think of as "honourable".

In the case where the guy fired at me, missed, kept going...I know it would have probably caused an argument "I musta got you!" etc. I took the hit so the game remained cordial, and he didnt go round the rest of the day thinking I was a cheat.

Its easy to get a bad repuation, hard to get a good one.

reading through this thread i am pleased to see how many players are truthful and honorable.

however i have to disagree with a few points, which i have no doubt will raise a few eye brows!

i will avoid names, but there are those of you who will not shoot those wearing shooting glasses... in principle this is a very courtious action and your unwillingness to hurt people should be commended in general.

however, we all pay our money to shoot and get shot. at my site there is a big emphasis on face protection during the safety brief - to the point where i have seen ID checked to enforce the sites age restriction on full face/glasses only policy.

with such emphasis and education during the brief, those who wear eye protection only are as much a target as those in full face protection.

i think that your honourable attitude gives educated people an unfair advantage.

I AM NOT DISSING YOU FOR YOUR VIEWS, THE WORLD WOULD BE A NICER PLACE IF THAT ATTITUDE WAS DISPLAYED THROUGHOUT SOCIETY - but in a game i have payed to play....... i think they are all fair game!

rant over and bact to the thread.......

i have called myself out on several occasions without being hit. Generally my buddy and i are last ones in the CQB kill house, (due to it being a small wooden structure in a predominately wooded area, there is no CQB fps limit, just a semi only rule for inside the structure), when the whole enemy force has regenerated and coming after you it can be unnerving with full auto bursts coming through the windows (from outside) and an assault team entering from each of the doorways.

we just speed up the inevitable and try to save ourselves from the over zealous 1 mag = 1 kill nutters by calling ourselves out - unless the time limit is almost up, in which case we just cowboy the fudge up and get on with the job at hand!

I bounded up the side of a base as a guy was about to respawn back in, so I just buggered off to the side of the game and waited it out as it seemed a bit *suitcasey* to watch someone respawn just to brain them.

I figure I'm an honest guy but I'm not into the whole idea of taking hits that haven't happened. If my opponent panics and misses his shots from an easy distance then that's his problem, a straight line is a straight line so it doesn't matter if he's firing BBs, real 5.56 rounds or squirrels at me, if he missed with the BB then he missed with all of them so I shoot back. I've screwed it up myself and I didn't expect my opponent to take imaginary hits, I just had to learn to be better at the game. Same deal when people forget to load guns or run out of ammo.

Similarly I just don't give up when I realise I'm pumped. Maybe I can't get a shot in or easily get away but the deeper I dig myself into whatever hole in the ground I've found then the harder they have to work to get me out. That's time and ammo that isn't being spent on my team mates which hopefully gives them an opportunity to avenge me.

As for folks wearing shooting glasses, well that's their choice isn't it? They know what the game is about when they buy their kit and step onto the field, they chose not to wear full face protection so tough luck I guess. I wear glasses myself and I've never once seriously bitched about getting shot in the face; I just go "argh!" and crack on with it knowing it was my own choice.

Am I a bad player for this? I don't think I am, I've been doing this for a few years now and never once had anyone complain to me about anything, but hey.

I use glasses in woodland games and dont complain unless they are DELIBERATELY taking headshots (i.e. my entire bodies in full view but they aim for my face), anda mask in cqb.

Anyway back on topic.

If I'm not sure I was hit I take it, if I didn't feel anything but heard impacts (e.g. it hits my dump pouch but I dont feel it) I'll ask a nearby player I if was hit, and if I'm still in doubt I'll take it.

I'm going to get flamed for saying this, but I'm not entirely happy with the whole "their gun wasn't working but i'll take it anyway" thing.

I've had a few situations where someone has been dry-firing at me (or vice versa), and i've not taken the hit and shot them back. Deliberately. If your kit isn't working then you shouldn't be treated as if it is. If it were "real" it sure as hell wouldn't be would it?!

Obviously I expect the same treatment from other players: I've dry fired at people and told them not to take any "phantom" hits from my gun.

I see it in roughly the same way as i see "bang" kills. We don't invested all this time, energy and money into our hobby to play under the same rule set as a 5 year old do we? Frankly if you have time to "bang" kill someone surely you have time to aim properly and shoot their tac vest/armour/whatever, instead of flesh?

In agreement entirely. OpFor dry firing? To me that's the equivalent of a stoppage.

Lucky for me, unlucky for them.

I have seen the extreme of taking phantom hits also.

I was flanking the opfor and had an nice position where i was in active denial mode where nothing was entering my area for about 50mt without being shot at.

Two friendlies entered the area at my 9 about 30mt's out. Blissfully unaware of my presence they walked to within 5mts of my position when i broke a shot off to my 2 at an enemy coming out of the treeline 60some mtrs away.

My target called hit as did one of the friendlies to my left.

It turns out he heard the shot figured there was a sniper shooting at him and decided not to risk the second one contacting.

thats out team motto and site motto, if i think ive been hit then i will take the hit i shout out hit and pull a hi vis vest out of my trouser pocket and put it over me just so people dnt keep shooting me,

but as said if people are not hitting me or even getting near me i will keep playing until i think ive been hit then ill take it

I've always thought it depends on the situation for times like these. I've been in plenty of situations where either someone had gotten the jump on me, missed, and I called myself out, or I had just done something brash or stupid where I knew logically I should have been hit even if I didn't feel it, and called myself out. Stuff like this just keeps the game feeling fair and fun and makes it a little more balanced for the people who can't afford major upgrades.

thats out team motto and site motto, if i think ive been hit then i will take the hit i shout out hit and pull a hi vis vest out of my trouser pocket and put it over me just so people dnt keep shooting me,

but as said if people are not hitting me or even getting near me i will keep playing until i think ive been hit then ill take it

Didn't know you were on here buddy!

Seems I've spawned a whole thread here... ;)

i like to think that if i"m awere i"ve been hit i"d call my self out , i work it if i think theres more than a chance its a hit and not a ricochet my hands up and i"m out , or if i don"t feel it and its pointed out to me again i"m straight out (and so begins the long trudge back to the safezone :P ) at the end of the day your only cheating your self realy

I have lost count of the number of times I have called myself out as a bb has hit the brim of my boonie or caught a pouch on my side or skimmed my boot.

Hits that in the real world would not harm you.

However, I am fairly sure there must be as many times that I have been hit from range or on a part of my clothing or webbing and not heard or felt it. So it balances out for the times I call myself out when I am not sure.

In short, I play safe and always try my best to be an honest player.

I like that ethos. I have called myself out for one hair miss, and carried on with the hair hit on the other. I think I may just stick in the future from calling my hair hits.

I would also like to say, I utterly dispise when people shout 'take your hit'. It totally degrades the game. It makes the game overly competitive. Airsoft is about honesty, and thats what I like. There are people who don't take hits, intentionally or unintentionally. These issues have to adressed. Either face to face. Or to a marshall. Its only a game. But a good one at that.

Its mentioned in our briefings that anywhere from the peak of your hat to the lace on your shoe counts as a hit.

And more recently since getting my current haircut he's added that ponytails and mohawks count too.

To be fair, it makes a lot of sense. Otherwise you have arguments between players regarding hit locations and possible damage if it were a real gun etc etc.

It would become something more like LARPing then I think with constant halts to discuss what just happened.

Then people could throw a die or dice to decide if the...

Forget that! Simple rules.

I can sympathise with the 'If I'm hit, I'll take it, otherwise play on' ethos to a certain extent, especially where faulty/non-firing guns are concerned (or those people who forget to insert magazines as they leave the safezone :rolleyes:), but then stemming from that you get the 'You're hit because I must have hit you' argument, and that's just bad sportsmanship in my book (much worse than the 'take your hits!' calls).

Unless you see a BB you've fired physically hit your target, have faith in the honour system and just fire another shot, otherwise it'll turn into paintball.

I do this with my sniper rifle, and most people with decent optics on their guns can make out a hit or a miss. Unfortunately, a surprising amount of those confirmed hits aren't declared, but another round normally sorts that out.

Ben.

I do this with my sniper rifle, and most people with decent optics on their guns can make out a hit or a miss. Unfortunately, a surprising amount of those confirmed hits aren't declared, but another round normally sorts that out.

I hate that. Why try to cheat against a sniper? We more often than not have honking great big scopes with uber zoom functions and what-not, we can see you. :P

Also, I'll put the follow-up shot somewhere squishy, tender or exposed. Just to be sure. ;)

Must admit, I wouldn't bother to argue any kind of "possible" hit.

Most of us can hear a "proper" hit regardless of whether it's on our hat, kit, boot, gun, holster or anywhere else.

If you're going to start debating whether a hit on your gun or holster counts then you might as well start arguing about whether a hit to the shoulder or hand or foot counts as well.

As far as I am concerned "you" are the thing that's out there wandering about in the forest.

ANY hit to "you" (that means your pack, gun, kit......) should be counted as a hit.

Worst thing that happens on my site is that they use a lot of oil drums as cover and there's been lots of times I'm cowering taking cover behind a bunch of oil drums and common sense dictates that it's impossible for a BB to hit me but, even so, ricochets will bounce between the drums and hit me and I'll walk.

Thing is, unless you're playing some uberleet milsim game where getting hit means spending an afternoon twiddling your thumbs, a walk back to the SP really isn't a big deal.

Hell, I actually LIKE getting shot cos I can usually find somebody at the SP to team up with and we can work together when we go back in.

One thing which I think counts for a lot is flinching.

If a BB pings off a tree (for example) and then hits you in the chin you're gonna flinch.

You might KNOW it's a rebound but I think you need to consider that the act of flinching might have been seen by the shooter and make them assume they scored a hit.

About the only time I WOULD consider walking when I wasn't hit is a time when a ricochet or a near miss has made me flinch because I'd be worried the shooter saw me flinch and assumed it meant he'd made the hit.

The main thing, as others have said, is to remain faithful to the system of honour the whole sport is based on.

That means for those taking hits AND those making the shots.

It's easy to demand that people take their hits but shooters need to understand THEY have a responsibility to let peoples honour dictate whether they've been hit or not.

In short, if you hose me from 20ft or snipe at me from 150ft and I carry on playing you MUST assume it's because you didn't hit me and carry on with that mindset.

Seriously, I've been paintballing/lazertagging/airsofting since the mid 1980s and I have NEVER, ever demanded anybody take a hit.

What's the point?

It just causes bad feeling.

Archived