Calling yourself out.

greg

Following a discussion in another thread, the motto, 'if in doubt, call yourself out' came up. I think it's time we had another thread, hi lighting the more honorable side of airsoft.

I recently stormed into a large area & found myself with about 10 guns pointing in my direction. I had absolutely no where to go & they were all firing at me.

Astonishingly, rounds were going everywhere but none were hitting me! It was like a scene out of a sci-fi, where I had a magic shield. Bb's were falling short, curling left, right & going high. Despite the fact that I was stationary, with no cover & no where to run, for that split second, they just couldn't seem to hit me.

So, I had a choice, return fire, or call myself out?

Targets were at about 50m & although I was out of range for them, they would have been easy meat for me.

Before I raised my gun, I called myself out. ;)

I did this in the spirit of the game. Yeah, no one had hit me but come on? If any of them had a sorted gun or could shoot, I'd have been bang to rights. A lucky shot would have got me within seconds, so really, what would returning fire have achieved?

Calling my self out seemed like the right thing to do.

Last Saturday I whitnessed a discussion, where a guy was convinced he hit another fellow, more or less point blank. The recipient, happy to call himself out, pointed out, that the gun was only firing gas & when tested, it was. The recipient still insisted he 'took it', explaining that being hit by gas at that range, was fair enough :D. Both plyers left for the safe zone, smiling. One 'out', the other to fix his gun. I quizzed the guy that called himself out &, like my example, he just felt it was the right thing to do. Great sportsmanship.

I have a list as long as my arm, I hope you ge the idea.

Tell me, when did you last do the honorable thing? Take one for the team or in the spirit of the game, just because it kind of made sense? :)

Greg.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do similar things myself on a regular basis; There are often times when i'm in a similar situation, in no kind of cover with BB's flying all around me - If i'm in open ground with BB's landing all around me, i'll usually call it a hit, for 2 reasons - From the shooter's point of view, it's bound to look like they're hitting me (I know, as i often think the same), and secondly, because if i was being fired on with actual bullets, they'd be guaranteed to hit me. I also tend to call myself out if someone fires a burst from 10 yards or less and fails to hit me, even though they've totally got the drop on me - Mainly to save myself being hosed, but also because again, were it a real firearm, i'd have been dropped.

Can i just say as much as i hate cheating in airsoft I think i hate accusations of cheating more, But its moments like this that I love

I once hit a guy running at about 80 yards with my G3 on semi, Couldnt see the BB hit but he called it,

I was in a trench and BBs were rolling over the top after rebounding, i called it just in case, I would feel very guilty if i hadnt,.

These are the sort of responses I was hoping for.

Well done lads, thank you for embracing the spirit of airsoft.

So, I'll add to the pile:

Sniping a target, standing next to a tree, at about 70m, I watch my bb bounce off his tac vest. He kind of looks down & a bit puzzled. Looking through my scope, I think, come on mate, take the hit.

Then, a guy comes out from behind the tree, looking equally puzzled. They scratch their heads & share a few words, then, both raise their hands, call hit & walk off to the safe zone.

Later, I bump into them & ask what had happened. They were confused, as they had been hit simultaneously, with no sign of a shooter. They decided to both take the hit, although they couldn't work out exactly what had happened. From what they described, my bb, had ricochet off the tac vest & hit the guy behind the tree. One shot, two kills! :D

Now, that is a pair of gentlemen. ;)

Greg.

Last game I played, I seemed to be the focus of all of the OpFor's attention (mainly because i'm one of those silly buggers that get's stuck in.) and the BBs were flying around me but I didn't feel or hear anything hit me but like you say, they would have had me bang to rights really so I just stuck my hand up, shouted 'HIT' and went back to regen.

I don't understand people who take ages to put their hand up when they have been hit. It's somewhat of an automatic reaction for me to stick my hand up and shout hit and I do it without even realising it sometimes.

As for the gas thing, I had a guy try and empty a mag into me whilst we were playing a Resident Evil game a couple of years back whilst I was playing a zombie. Nothing hit me and I got right up to throughout all this and he was kinda screaming "YOUR DEAD! DEAD!!!!" in a quite scared and worried sounding voice. I thought he was just a really rubbish shot, but when he drew his pistol, the mag was empty of bbs but for some strange reason the slide didn't lock back. In a normal game, I probably would have taken it but with it being a night time zombie game I kinda felt it would have added to the experience for him to realise he was dry firing just as he 'died'.

I and I think everyone i know does this - sometimes im crouched behind cover in a fire fight and ill get a feeling that i may have been hit - i wont have heard any hits land and definatly not felt anything but just kinda felt it in the sence that you can feel when someone very quiet is behind you ya know?

I also called myself out in a woodland game once for a hit on the head from a strange direction (straight up) which on returning to my friends turned out to be an acorn :P

as for people shouting your hit - that really ###### me off. To me whether someone is hit or not is decided by them, if im firing at someone and sure they should be dead but they arnt calling it then ill assume im doing something wrong like missing or got a feed problem. Ofc if im close enough to see my rounds hitting them and tehy dont call it ill just hose them and then tell a marshal after - i never confront the player it just causes ill feeling for the rest of teh game

I also called myself out in a woodland game once for a hit on the head from a strange direction (straight up) which on returning to my friends turned out to be an acorn :P

:rofl:

Classic.

My all time longest range kill, was taken by a guy, who described thinking, a leaf or insect had landed on his arm. He looked down and saw a bb rolling along the floor. He put two & two together & declared out.

Again, champion chap, his actions gave me the pleasure of a 94m, in game kill! One, which he could have easily ignored. His dedication to fair play was a real gift to me, I'll never forget it.

Good man.

Greg.

When airsofting in the rain I am constantly thinking I have been hit when its rain drops. Yeah, I have called myself out a couple of times when I was sure afterwards it was rain drops.

This one time, me and a mate were defending a position and three guys were sweeping up my left side. Two would fire and one rush forward to cover. I was leading this guy and saw at least 3 bb's hit him at perhaps 30m. Then when they rolled up on me again I led him again and was almost certain he got hit again. I saw the next bound would bring him to what I consider danger close so I took a bead and fired a full auto burst and he literally ran right through the bb's taking several hits.

Now at this point I was getting incredibly annoyed! I figured in the heat of the moment with the blood up, he was not feeling the hits. However my Kalash AK is about 330-340 fps and at about 40-50 foot at the last shot, there was NO WAY he could not have felt or heard the hits.

Now he was at the most... 20 foot away and I saw his head start to bob up from the cover with his gun being brought up. He had shooting glasses on and was presenting nothing more than his face.

I held my gun up and called myself out without a shot being fired. I openly said I was not happy with the safety of this situation and he looked puzzled.

I was fuming and let my mate down who was quickly over run.

There was a marshal about 20 foot away but he did not have an angle to see what happened.

I said nothing and later on once I had calmed down and actually walked the location of the event and convinced myself I was not shooting low or high told him in detail what happened. I believe it was counted as points against the other team. He took my word for it without hesitation.

I did not want to full face someone with a 330-350 fps gun when they had nothing but open shooters glasses. I believe that person was a cheat, but that was not going to make me a dirty player.

Another time was when I was in a tyre fort and no more than 5 foot away from a guy that had just dived in. I looked at him and shouted bang and he replied he would not take that as my gun was not pointing directly at him. Essentially his head came up and I shouted bang with my gun pointing up for safety.

We both had AEG's only doing 300+ fps, I ducked as he did and thought about it for a couple of seconds and realised this was going to involve someone getting a point blank to the face if we were both unlucky. I called myself out. I said openly I was not feeling safe with the situation and several people laughed at me, site owners included.

That made me angry but its a game, I will not be forced to make a shot I am not happy with just because someone is a cheat or wants me to shoot them rather than take a bang kill. I will always call myself out.

I'm probably going to upset someone by voicing a dissenting opinion!

It really depends on the situation but, I've had a BB ruffle through my hair, with a number two cut that is a very near miss. I took that one and when someone asked what I was doing [this was mid firebase assault with me as a defender, sometimes easier to just keep in cover but make it obvious you aren't in game] I was then egged on by them to ignore it, which I didn't.

Again, had a situation where there was nothing but open ground and a lot of range between me, a team mate and a load of what looked to be a majority of newbies. So certain was I that we were out of range I started to give the odd cheeky wave/jig...and then a lone BB, I will assume puffing itself that last few feet of its arc landed on my arm. The walk of shame back to the safe zone indeed.

There have been countless 'I fire my AEG, they fire their's, the BBs cross paths in the 20m of air between us, two shouts of hit are heard' situations

Now here is where things get a bit dicey, walking up to a door way, out comes someone running while spray&pray...however I hear that he's dry firing as I bring my AEG up to aim, while tracking him by which point he's about 5 foot away and its slowly dawning on him that he's not actually firing anything...at which point I give him a 2 round burst to the chest and play on.

Where I make the distinction is that if realism is meant to be a core aspect of the game we are playing [realism on a sliding scale of open day to 600rnd only milsim type games], then surely it is to be expected that players keep track of their ammo, in that instance to quote a clichéd phrase 'had that been real' my opponent would have had a non functioning/unloaded gun. He could have tried getting me to surrender but again...the bluff would have backfired on him.

When I can be reasonably sure that a piece of plastic hitting me from whatever range is the result of an opponents actions, I call myself out, if a situation is 'impossible' I'll play on. Impossible being hit hard enough from a richochet to feel as if you've been hit, but from where you are positioned and who is around you and where you got hit there is no way it was aimed enemy fire [unless they can boomerang rounds through walls] or negligent friendly fire directed at you.

I must admit to doing this a few times being a sitting duck no way back or forward save myself a potentially painful head shot and as i only wear shooting glasses i would rather avoid this. However if i call myself out i usually take a little longer to respawn or go a different route to avoid attacking that position as its unfair to return to the same area but using a better route to avoid being hit for real.

Sometimes i might even take hits that dont occur just can be sure usually when im at range or occasionally I like mentioned will call myself out of a close quarters position to avoid being shot up not worth losing a tooth for the sake of a game.

At my local i spend a lot of time in engagements with the other sniper on site.

Last weekend we were both advancing on each others team down the same flank. with a large stand of rhododendrons between us we were unaware of each other untill we meet around the far side. face to face we ditch longarms and go for pistols, 10 rounds a piece through some thick undergrowth and not a single hit for either of us!

Time to shake hands and hit respawn.

Later in the day i managed a flying knife kill on a chap and failed to notice his buddy crouched in the bush next to him. i move up to pick up my knife and end up staring into an m14 muzzle, off to respawn i go.

I can add:

I was moving at night through some forested area, I knew there were assians in this op that used non blowback rugers and all they had were those pistols to accomplish the task. As i moved through the Bush I was whipped on the *albartroth* and i wasnt sure if it was a branch that had bent backwards and then flung me in the *albartroth* or a well deserved kill from an assasian. I proceeded to call it as a hit only to find out I wasnt close to their postions when the hit occured.. it was a tree branch that whipped back and smacked my butt..

intergity is what we all owe this hobby/sport/sprobby

Snow is also difficult to assertain. s it a snow flake ? is it a white inbound round? very confusing and its best just to call it if youthink it. give credit to those snipers who try for the longest shot. you are always being watched always..

Great thread.

rad

I remember one game when a mate and I got split off from our group as I noticed a flank move and rear attack sweeping round as we attacked the Op For's main base. I ducked and noticed a defalade about 3 foot deep so I dropped prone into that. My mate landed next to me and we heard voices around us. We were perfectly still looking at each other as the battle raged on around us and we could see people standing around and engaging our guys. There must have been no more than 10 foot between the two of us and several Op For. We looked at each other in disbelief for a good 30 seconds as we were in a slight dip and were otherwise totally in view. No bushes really, nothing. We both had head to toe Flecktarn though and that stuff is pretty darn good!

Now I had my TM M14 and he had his KWA G36 and as I turned slowly to look I heard my Hicap unwind... darn! :angry: You literally saw half a dozen heads turn and look at the two of us and pure astonishment was on everyones faces.

Now I knew I had no way to fire but I did not want to call myself out as my mate had a good close quarters gun with his G36c and a much better angle than me. So I put my head down and waited for the hail of fire. My concern was calling myself out would have caused confusion and been distracting thus allowing my mate to get an advantage. Equally if I called myself out I was concerned my mate would do the same even though he had no need to.

I got pelted in the head and put the gun in the air shouting hit hit hit hit hit hit. My mate was so astonished at the situation he froze and got lit up as well.

As we walked away grinning, the other guys were like " W T H... did those two come from!

So in a way, I did not call myself out before I was hit, in order to be a fair and good player. As weird as that seems.

I've called myself out for a number of odd reasons.

Raindrops. I hate playing in the rain at the best of times (cos it's wet), but the times I've called myself out because I've felt something tap me on the shoulder is beginning to annoy.

Springy twigs. Yup, I've called myself out when crawling through bushes, etc.

Bouncers. Being whacked in the back of the head, even though the only thing behind me is a wall (Mouth engaged before brain).

SWAT at the last urban game: Im the last man in my group, in the open, with 3 AEGers approaching. Nowhere really to go. I called myself out before I was hit...it was inevitable.

Same game, one lad paced round a corner, fired and burst at me, missed. I called it anyway, rather than go through a 'replay'.

Some folks at my regular take a few liberties with bang kills...I usually take them in good faith, knowing how upset folk there get if they think theyve hurt someone.

Dude did you not see me and Jonny on the first snow day game? i swear we were less than 5mt from each other both with aeg's and could we hit each other? eventualy we both stopped laughed and wandered off to respawn. Times like that the game is just a game. IRL we would have tried to strangle each other or resorted to knifes but having fun and enjoying the game we both appreciated the stupidity of tow pretty good players (sniper/spotter team) failing to hit each other face to face.

Same as my last post me and Nige prancing about with pistols and failing.

In some cases it's best to see whats coming or give other players the benefit of the doubt and call yourself out go respawn and hope you are the one to get the drop nextime.

Archived