Airsoft sites banning propane?

GuzziHero

Zero one in dubious business practice? Who would have thought? Remember when they bought up every available airsoft related web address they could and just put straight redirects to their website? A website which instantly filled your browser history so the back button wouldn't go any further back than their homepage... I note they have since changed this to clarify the situation. Wether or not this has anything to do with manufacturers getting grumpy and the phrase "passing off" would be pure speculation.

However, as for moderating their own forums. Well, retailer forum, fair enough. It's not like "community" ones haven't done the same in the past.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if anyone actually tested resistance of "green gas" can to bbs.

I remember seeing a picture of a pierced bottle of green gas at the local forums once. Used a rifle that does well over 700fps. My concern is more on how flimsy the nozzles on them are. Saw quite a few that leaked just from being used a few times (not dropped).

Just wait for it, the next step is "You can only use our approved Zero-One BB's as they have been tested to be More BBish than the competition. Btw our bottles cost 25 quid for 2000 .2's, and don't mind all those madbull empties you see in our trash cans."

My main concern with green gas comes from a pic I saw on here quite a few years back where a player from Texas IIRC had left a can on the seat in his truck while he went off to play only to come back and find a massive dent in his roof and his windscreen smashed from the can exploding.

Now I know we don't get those kinds of temps here in the UK but it has always made me wary of green gas.

From what I know, they're linked, but not the same company. Zero One provides tech support and gear sales at Ground Zero, and at least one of the GZ Marshals works at Zero One. However, the companies, and their respective owners are different. I suppose it's what you get when a site and a retailer are very close, both geographically and personnel-wise...

In fact, according to the Companies House Webcheck, Zero One Airsoft Ltd and Ground Zero Airsoft Ltd are recorded as two different companies, owned by different people, but both operating from the same address

So it's a case of Jim and Bob wanting to start an airsoft retail company and Jim registers it then later they decide that they want to start a skirmish site and Bob registers it. That way if Jim gets any problems with the retail company it doesn't affect the site and vice versa.

Just wait for it, the next step is "You can only use our approved Zero-One BB's as they have been tested to be More BBish than the competition. Btw our bottles cost 25 quid for 2000 .2's, and don't mind all those madbull empties you see in our trash cans."

If only they were madbull. I did a bulk buy (10 bags) of Z1 ammo as it was the cheapest ammo around at the time and I've found out why. It's a good thing I have a M249 to eat it all up.

I use "empty" cans of green gas as targets, put hundreds or even thousands into some of them and they have never been breached. All with sub 328 weapons at point blank to twenty yards.

But i'll aggree with everything said here so far, "propane" is safer than "green gas" due to the tank design.

There was also the one with a can of green gas left on a car dashboard that blew and smashed the windscreen. We CAN get temperatures high enough to blow pressurised tins in the UK, if its behind glass and the sun is intense enough. In 2003, a temperature of 38.8C was recorded in England.

My dad evaporated 2 paint tins by warming them too much in a heated water pan (funny story that!). He was spraying in cold weather, so in the garage he set up an oil cooker, with a pan on top, with water in, tins in the water with a lid on top.

He had to come in to answer a phone call, then some family friends arrived...he forgot about them. Shortly after... "B-BOOM!", loud enough that the police turned up.

The oil stove's legs had crushed with the force, the oil element reduced from about 3" high to about 2". The pan base was splayed out. The pan lid had flown up, hit the ceiling, bent at about 70 degrees and landed 10ft away. The garage walls and anything exposed was coated in a fine mist of water and white paint.

Of the paint cans themselves, nothing was ever found.

on the fragility of the cans, ive shot at green gas cans with a hot spring in my L96 (over 500 fps*), at 20 metres, and only got dents. nothing went through.

*i dont use it on sites. bought it, fitted it, chronoed it, took it out again :)

There was also the one with a can of green gas left on a car dashboard that blew and smashed the windscreen. We CAN get temperatures high enough to blow pressurised tins in the UK, if its behind glass and the sun is intense enough. In 2003, a temperature of 38.8C was recorded in England.

My dad evaporated 2 paint tins by warming them too much in a heated water pan (funny story that!). He was spraying in cold weather, so in the garage he set up an oil cooker, with a pan on top, with water in, tins in the water with a lid on top.

He had to come in to answer a phone call, then some family friends arrived...he forgot about them. Shortly after... "B-BOOM!", loud enough that the police turned up.

The oil stove's legs had crushed with the force, the oil element reduced from about 3" high to about 2". The pan base was splayed out. The pan lid had flown up, hit the ceiling, bent at about 70 degrees and landed 10ft away. The garage walls and anything exposed was coated in a fine mist of water and white paint.

Of the paint cans themselves, nothing was ever found.

Your dad was Mr Bean!

On topic I guess it could be worse, they could be re-selling Propane at green gas prices.

I dont think they mean green gas cans they mean the people who use the big blue bottles of propane from a hardware store and a adaptor, i have sent an e mail to the site manager but i think you will find that is all it is.

Also remember the soil at the GZ site is very much peat based and will burn very easily and will burn forever if not put out quickly.

curlyboy

I dont think they mean green gas cans they mean the people who use the big blue bottles of propane from a hardware store and a adaptor, i have sent an e mail to the site manager but i think you will find that is all it is.

Also remember the soil at the GZ site is very much peat based and will burn very easily and will burn forever if not put out quickly.

curlyboy

If that were the problem then if anything they'd only allow propane tanks like you describe as they meet more stringent safety regulations and aren't likely to explode and set fire to the peat.

I'm almost of a mind to complain to Advertising Standards as they have either a misinformed statement or flagrant money grabbing lie on their website.

curlyboy

Yes we know they are banning propane and not Green gas and we know why. Profit.

Green gas burns just as well as comercial propane, BECAUSE ITS THE SAME STUFF. this is not a legitimate argument.

Ground Zero is run by Zero One, from everything i know, and Zero One are profit hungry douchebags who aren't able to comprehend the words 'Customer Service'. Hopefully, they're desperately trying everything to grab some money because their business is failing.

A man can dream...

This is just blatent con for you to buy their green gas, rather than you saving money and getting the propane adaptor and propane can. tut tut tut

All this said its their regime, and you will do as they say no matter how ludicrous it is! They most likely know its the same thing but they will still likely enforce the rule

I wonder if anyone actually tested resistance of "green gas" can to bbs.

Bernzomatic propane can (and others as well) is so thick (thanks to safety regulations) it does not get damaged even after a point-blank shot. I was not brave enough to shoot "green gas" can though. Maybe an empty one later on, but it will be different than pressurized content.

DISCLAIMER: DO NOT TRY SHOOTING GAS CANS, IT IS DANGEROUS!

Now, when I started airsoft I was admittedly naive and wanted to slap some goggles on and shoot at anything and everything with my new toys. With this I wondered if BB's could puncture a green gas can so took aim at an empty can of green gas (I think the brand was called FIMO, bought from wolf armories) and it just dented it, even from just inches away with a 330fps chrono'ed spring shotgun.

Also, in responce to the 'danger' factor, even Abbey Ultra gas (Which I know is close to green pressure wise although I am not sure about chemical wise) is nice and flammable, and will turn a Mac 11 into a noisy flamethrower faster than you can say 'Zippo'.

I e mailed H the site manager at ground zero about this and this is what he says

'The way I see it is if a can of airsoft gas goes bang on site, people can pursue the company that made it. If a propane tank goes bang, or the mag filled with it does, then they will just say it was never meant to be used in that application and then the customer comes after me'

The tanks he means are the blue cans you can get from most DIY shops and use an adaptor with some silicone oil put in them.

curlyboy

Which won't go bang as they have a built in pressure release valve unlike airsoft gas. Major cop out seeing as it has been scientifically proven that green is better smelling propane with a small % of silcon so the mags are no more likely to go bang than the propane tank is.

At the end of the day, if you don't like the rules don't go to the site.

Archived