China [s]Beach[/s] Lake

renegadecow

Two days and several buckets of sweat later:

IMG_2150.jpg

IMG_2149.jpg

IMG_2144.jpg

I've also started making the sawed-off grip, but not sure I'll be finishing it. It looks like some sort of abnormal growth sticking out of the gun with it being tiny in comparison. Thinking a grip more like an M1 carbine paratrooper or Iver Johnson Enforcer will look more manly. Will take pics of the current grip tomorrow for your scrutiny.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. I still have to make that round knob thing on the left side of the receiver (not sure what it does IRL), sling swivels, butt pad and I'm redoing the magazine cap as it's supposed to have a lip hanging over the edge against the flush design I've made. My throat is a little scratchy, not sure if I'm coming down with the flu or just inhaled too much sawdust, but all in all maybe another week of work before 100% done.

i love you

So it doesn't get weird I'll just imagine you're saying it like this:

iwubwoo.jpg

Can I live vicariously through you to feel successful?

Unfair! You need to feel the pain in your limbs from sanding all day too. Now that I think of it, why on earth didn't I use the power sander?!?

What wood did you use?

Thanks! Same species as the floorboards in the pic: Tanguille aka false mahogany. It's a local hardwood that dramatically changes its looks depending on what kind of abuse/weather the tree took when still alive. I picked this guy from the lumberyard because it looked a lot like straight grain walnut. As I understand it, if it had lived a more turbulent life, the grain would be shorter and burly. Wasn't always as pretty as this, if you look closely you'll notice it's still made with layers of planks that I always do:

IMG_2143.jpg

Careful wood selection and grain orientation will make it looking solid after finishing.

I have done the impossible and it makes me tired... and smelly. Speaking of which, I decided not to waste the day on minecraft or ponies or what have you. I've pretty much made the round knob thing, both sling swivels, decelerator pad, new magazine tube cap, and have already started staining the wood just now. A few minor alterations left then paint prep and it will be finished, say by Monday.

You and possibly a higher being. In a fit of divine intervention it hasn't stopped raining since I woke up and looks like it's going for the rest of the day. I swear, it was completely cloudless just yesterday. Now I can't go off to play so I just started doing prep. Stocks already done and varnished.

edit:

Didn't have brown foam rubber so I just made the decelerator pad in black. May have to make a new one later on as I sanded a little too much on the sides so it's about .5mm slimmer all around than the base of the stock.

IMG_2164.jpg

Archived