You're Q and its time to replace the Walther. What do you choose?

Wingman

What because hitting a driver of a jeep with a .50 cal that is in the back doesn't blow him to pieces :P

Personally i can just see Walther, like Aston Martin, Lotus, Omega, Rolex, Armani, BMW and Bollinger pestering the film director and producer to put their new toy in just so they can sell more of them. Many companies do as they know it is good product placement, something the Bond franchise had a hand in with the Aston Martin DB5 and one of the first examples of major film product placement.

'FireKnife'

Walther have a LONG history of this with 007:

The famous Sean Connery publicity shots with him in a tux and a long barrelled pistol (Thunderball onwards) have him holding an old Walther air pistol, as when he turned up for the photoshoot Mr Connery had forgotten his PPK and the contract demanded he be pictured with a Walther.

Octopussy and the 'bootleg' Never Say Never Again feature 007 using a P5, rather than a PPK- and both films feature some dialogue about "Misplacing my PPK" to better focus on the P5 (which Walther were struggling to sell at the time)

Same in Tomorrow Never Dies, where Mr Brosnan conspicously swaps out the to the P99...It's ALL about product placement of the Walther range.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah the P5 was kind of obvious that Walther wanted it sold along with the P99.

However in some cases the Walther was substituted (like the Browning 1910 and 1911 firing in Dr No) or given to other characters (again in Dr No Leiter had one, a PP i believe) so really they seemed to want it to have just screen time.

Though the only exception is QoS in which the director claimed that he wanted the film to have a classic look to it, hence the traditional locations along with the fact Bond is sporting a PPK rather than his P99. Quite why Walther would ask for a PPK to be used is beyond me so this idea makes sense.

Personally i am suprised that, outside of the product placement, they would have gone with the P99 as really it is just another hi-capacity 9mm poly gun, could hve had any number of other guns fill that role.

'FireKnife'

Any weapon on set, is down to the armourer. When James Cameron wanted a an M41A pulse rifle for Aliens made, he specified certain things to the armourer (Simon Anderton, I might have got his surname wrong -simon anderton- , its late and my memory is kack these days) had to deliever the goods. He filmed many guns firing and showed it to Cameron, he basically said "that one".

We looked for guns that were the most reliable, with the best rate of fire, best flash, the most power I suppose

^^ from the 'The risk always lives' segment of the making of aliens documentary

Plus the Thompson fitted the inside shape of Camerons/Cobbs/Meads design for the pulse rifle, it could have been an mp5 in there, but the .45acp blanks had a huge and VERY visible flash so they went with that. Simon Atherton (you were close mate :)) had to build them.

Real life, i'd say a Glock 19. Practical, sensible, reliable, etc. Pretty much covers everything 007 needs to do.

Movies-wise, where accuracy, reliability, reloading etc are non-existent - I'd go with a PX4. Mainly because i have one, but also because it looks cool, Q himself could have invented the interchangeable backstraps and rotating barrel, and it's reasonably compact.

True, i plan on getting a Px4 after my birthday as then college will soon be over :P

Though i was going to suggest the Detonics Combat Master in 9mm as it is a reliable 1911 system and actually quite easy to conceal but it just isn't very modern, then again the PPK never was.

'FireKnife'

Careful, you might end up loving it more than the 1911

Now that will never happen, having fired one and tried one it is the best of the available double action airsoft autos out there and in airsoft i don't like striker fired guns like the Glock and 5-7 so Px4 it is.

But actually #goes away to look at book# Bond did make use of a 1911 hidden in his car. He took it out twice in the main series and fired it once in the short stories. Hmmmmm :P

'FireKnife'

what about a ruger lcr? the funky polymer revolver? spin something about an lcr tweaked by Q too be invisible on scanners?

Revolver, since when would 007 be a revolver man?

In fact the only time he used one properly in the books he stuck it to a guys temple, took half his face off then lost it in a swamp somewhere, i think.

Nah, he needs an automatic, something that you can fool idiots into believing has a higher capacity than it does, not easy with a revolver when you can see the rounds :P

'FireKnife'

Revolver, since when would 007 be a revolver man?

In fact the only time he used one properly in the books he stuck it to a guys temple, took half his face off then lost it in a swamp somewhere, i think.

Nah, he needs an automatic, something that you can fool idiots into believing has a higher capacity than it does, not easy with a revolver when you can see the rounds :P

'FireKnife'

Dr No?

‘That’s settled then.’ M’s voice was final. ‘And what about something bigger?’

‘There’s only one gun for that, sir,’ said Major Boothroyd stolidly. ‘Smith & Wesson Centennial Airweight. Revolver. .38 calibre. Hammerless, so it won’t catch in clothing. Overall length of six and a half inches and it only weighs thirteen ounces. To keep down the weight, the cylinder holds only five cartridges. But by the time they’re gone,’ Major Boothroyd allowed himself a wintry smile, ‘somebody’s been killed. Fires the .38 S & W Special. Very accurate cartridge indeed. With standard loading it has a muzzle velocity of eight hundred and sixty feet per second and muzzle energy of two hundred and sixty foot-pountds. There are various barrel lengths, three-and-a-half-inch, five-inch…’

Dr No?

Yep got it in one.

But Bond in the Ian Fleming books has only been issued with a few guns, a PPK, Beretta 418, S&W Airweight, Colt 1911, some .38 Revolver in Moonraker at the start, a Savage 99F and an International Experimental Target Winchester rifle.

I don't even see why they gave him a Beretta but from what i know Fleming had one while working in Intelligence and used his experience to get to understand it.

'FireKnife'

^^ from the 'The risk always lives' segment of the making of aliens documentary

Plus the Thompson fitted the inside shape of Camerons/Cobbs/Meads design for the pulse rifle, it could have been an mp5 in there, but the .45acp blanks had a huge and VERY visible flash so they went with that. Simon Atherton (you were close mate :)) had to build them.

Oooohhh I actually was going to put Atherton, when I edited the post (It was even worse the first time I posted it - grammar etc).

I reckon that Px4 compact could be made to look used and less toy like. Though, a lot of pistols and weapons looks toyish when a film has its look changed (Messing with the rgb to get a moody blue look or harsh granny look). I thought the Px4 looked very toyish in Inception, it put me off buying it when Marui released it.

Dr No?

‘That’s settled then.’ M’s voice was final. ‘And what about something bigger?’

‘There’s only one gun for that, sir,’ said Major Boothroyd stolidly. ‘Smith & Wesson Centennial Airweight. Revolver. .38 calibre. Hammerless, so it won’t catch in clothing. Overall length of six and a half inches and it only weighs thirteen ounces. To keep down the weight, the cylinder holds only five cartridges. But by the time they’re gone,’ Major Boothroyd allowed himself a wintry smile, ‘somebody’s been killed. Fires the .38 S & W Special. Very accurate cartridge indeed. With standard loading it has a muzzle velocity of eight hundred and sixty feet per second and muzzle energy of two hundred and sixty foot-pountds. There are various barrel lengths, three-and-a-half-inch, five-inch…’

*cough* .357 magnum in live and let die (python iirc) *cough*

P38 = The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

Sig Pro = no idea :P

WA has some "chopped" S&W .40's and doesnt KSC have a shortened S&W 9mm? I'm not sure, but didnt Jessica Biel use the PX4 Compact in the A-Team? I think its the pistol shes holding when the A-Team "borrows" the C130.

The ASP would be a terrific airsoft pistol. That Steyr 9mm pistol was always a favorite of mine, too bad no one ever made one for airsoft.

Another pistol James Bond had (in one of the books done after Flemming passed on) was a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum that was hidden in the door of his souped up Saab. He also used the VP70z as his sidearm in the same book.

Archived