You're Q and its time to replace the Walther. What do you choose?

Wingman

Ok, the Walther P99 and PPK/S have run its course. Time for the service to upgrade and modernize. The pistol must be somewhat compact yet also capable to handle covert tactical missions. Caliber must be available worldwide. What do you propose?

As the first Bond novels started with the Beretta .25 (even shoots down a helicopter in one of the books-now thats some shooting), I'm thinking it's time to go back and I choose the PX4 Storm (doesnt hurt that I just bought one). I just find it sleeker than the Walther and was never a big fan of their de-cocking system.

G19 was sorta on the list, but its older and too often used in one form or another.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bond would not use a Glock or a PX4. They just have no class. Nothing wrong with the PPK IMO, but if you really had to replace it with something more modern, then I guess a Sig P-232.

Cold? It's a weapon for killing people it's MEANT TO BE COLD.

Bond is a killer ffs, have people forgotten that, he KILLS people. the best Bond's have always been the one's that have the look like they could kill you. Connery, for example. Or Brosnan a few times in The World Is Not Enough. He needs a weapon to match not some fancy glitzy cool gun.

Glock 19, if we're trying to be realistic. Or a SiG P225, P228, or P229, if we're being a bit more fantastical. And if we want to throw reality (nearly) right out the door, the H&K P30.

Reasons: The Glock is available globally. The Glock 17 is probably the third most commonly encountered pistol in third-world hot spots behind the Hi-Power and the CZ75, but is much more durable and reliable than either of those options (the Glock 19 will function with Glock 17 magazines). The Glock 19 strikes a fine balance between being small enough to easily conceal and large enough to easily shoot. When serious shooters reach for a pistol, more often than not it is a Glock 19. In this instance, we would probably opt for a set of night sights and a Bar-Sto stainless steel, extended and threaded barrel, possibly with a Salient Arms trigger. If we're continuing the realism, then either an AAC or SureFire (or Q Division) suppressor would be issued with the weapon and very possibly a SureFire X300 weapon light. Carry would be accomplished via an RCS or Comp-Tac IWB holster or similar.

The P225/228/229 are similar enough to the P226, allegedly used by the SAS, who Bond is a allegedly formerly of, that its manual of arms would be instantly familiar to him. It's also very popular with the fictitious Armani-wearing spy crowd of late (see: Burn Notice). For realism's sake, it would probably come with an extended, threaded barrel and night sights. As per the Glock, it would probably be accompanied by an AAC, SureFire, or Q-manufacture can. A set of mil-spec Crimson Trace Laser Grips modified with the laser to be IR visible only and CTG's Burlwood finish would complete the ensemble. Again, carry would be RCS or Comp-Tac IWB (or a similar holster made by Q).

The P30 is a fantastically accurate and reliable weapon. It's more reliable than the Glock when suppressed and lighter than the SiG. It is also significantly different from what cops and spies are carrying in other series. However, its use is rather limited, globally. Again, tritium night sights, threaded barrel, possibly an X300, can, quality IWB holster. Oddly, I think this would be the arm most likely issued by Q to Bond, despite the previous two options making more sense in the real world. However, I suspect that it wouldn't have tritium night sights, a weapon light, or a threaded barrel and instead would be issued with one of Hollywood's magical threaded-unthreaded suppressors. And it will probably just be tucked into Bond's trousers.

ETA: The .45 is a peculiarly American institution. To the best of my knowledge, the only two nations in Europe to make use of it were Norway (until they adopted the Walther P-01) and the UK (where it was issued in limited numbers to troops who needed handguns but weren't particularly likely to need to use them). And the only other nation to issue the cartridge en masse since WWII was Japan, where they got a screaming deal on them from Uncle Sam after cessation of hostilities. In any case, I think the cartridge is a poor choice for any fictional spy and an atrocious choice for one as British as James Bond. For someone like Felix Leiter, especially if he was a USN SEAL in another life, an H&K in .45 (probably an HK45C) would make a good deal of sense, although it still would not be ideal.

As you say 'in airsoft' then it kind of limits you.

Something compact, European and good caliber would probably put either the USPc in 9mm, Sig P228/9 or the Glock 26 at the top of the list.

However if we are talking real world what is wrong with the new Walther, the PPS. Looks Bond enough, comes in 9mm and works well.

Plus in the books not made by Fleming Bond has had a Colt 1903, a S&W ASP and a VP70. So really the restiction on Walther guns is something that was due to the films, not the novels or even Flemings idea.

And:

1. Cold, cold, have you not read the books that started it all, half the time Bond kills someone he is suffocating them or basically mashing their face in or putting a silent round in the back of their skull with no concern. Just because we had 7 Roger Moore films doesn't mean that Bond isn't cold, it just means Roger Moore sucks as James Bond.

2. Compact now this i don't get, why does Bond have to have a compact handgun? When Ian Fleming asked for a new gun to give Bond it was suggested that he have a full frame revolver of the S&W type. The compact gun is for when it is needed and when a larger gun is needed that is what he should take. By that logic either the USP or Sig P22X series would be good as they both come in 9mm, offer a system that is unchanged except size and are likely to be encountered the world over. The only reason i wouldn't say Beretta M9 series is the lack of a true compact that works and sells as well as the full size.

'FireKnife'

based in the films I would say elegant is a key feature of the weapon's appearance, something walther is very good at doing, and something most modern pistols are not. To the average joe a glock is not elegant, it's a Lego block that shoots bullets, H&K pistols feel too tactical and the H&K 45 and USP series are not exactly elegant either. XD and XDM are about as ugly as a pistol gets but remarkable shooters, and the SIG P22x are getting so much attention due to UBL that it wouldn't work for bond.

The only modern pistols out now that would work are the M&P, PX4, and SIG Pros. That said the PX4 shoots like ###### ( not that it matters) and there is absolutely nothing wrong with a P99. However if we were to have more silenced shooting you can't beat a P22 with a decent can perhaps a Silencero Osprey.

I think the XD/XDm and PX4 are terrible choices. The XD/XDm because it's not especially durable and the PX4 because, well, Berettas are pretty much an American thing in movies, now. I don't understand why, exactly, but they are. That and I'm not a fan of the rotary barrel locking system used by the Cougar and the PX4... they need full on grease to run well, not just good ole CLP or motoroil.

And if we're arguing for a system of weapons, doesn't that push the ball even more into Glock's court? Three different sized weapons, all capable of taking the same magazine. The Glock 19 can be carried normally with the 26 as a BUG and when the situation calls for it, he can trade up to an 18, 34, or 17L. The P22X series would be a poor(er) choice, I feel, because it lacks a sub-compact option.

I suspect that the reason for concealability being a big thing with Bond's guns is that those are what he has always used: The Beretta .25 and the Walther PPK are both pocket pistols. The P-99 (which isn't a bad choice, just a severely underrated and unpopular one) was the first decently sized automatic that Bond carried as a matter of course. Craig's Bond seems to have gone back to the PPK. In any case, the Glock 19 and similarly sized pistols (P228/229, P30, P-99, &c.) make the most sense for a general purpose pistol, with a pocket pistol (G26, J-frame, PPK, &c.) for use when shootability needs to take a back seat to concealability.

Also: I've generally heard not postitive things about the PPS and generally positive things about the PPQ. So I would go with the PPQ for a modern Walther pocket pistol.

imho a jerico would be just fine for james bond

However if we were to have more silenced shooting you can't beat a P22 with a decent can perhaps a Silencero Osprey.

im pretty sure that james bond woulnd't use a .22 (not enough stopping power, and not enough rounds in a magazine) and in hollywood al silenced guns sounds the same

im sure that a 9mm para is the caliber that suits him the best (enough power and most bullets in a mag)

im sure that a 9mm para is the caliber that suits him the best (enough power and most bullets in a mag)

Well he has been using 7.65mm for the most part (even though some of the screen used props were .380 and in TMWTGG he refers to having 'six bullets to your one' meaning .380 not 7.65mm) but as that is obsolete i think 9mm would be better, seeing as back in the day 7.65mm was a common cartridge and now 9mm is.

I would still say something like the PPS, it just feels more like a bridge between the PPK and P99 as it is 9mm but small and PPK like capacity.

'FireKnife'

Five-seveN USG. Making sure to always use ammo that was made in the USA so his actions can be pinned on the yanks. The need for a common calibre is moot, if he has to use more than the 60-80 rounds you can easily conceal about your person he should in most cases probably just shoot himself cos it'll be quicker than what M has done to him, and when its absolutely mission critical that he re-arm procuring a new gun won't be much more difficult for him than punching an armed goon in the back of the head.

Actually, he's half Scottish and half Swiss, to hell with pistols give him a pen knife...

imho a jerico would be just fine for james bond

im pretty sure that james bond woulnd't use a .22 (not enough stopping power, and not enough rounds in a magazine) and in hollywood al silenced guns sounds the same

It's a movie stopping power is moot, so is ammo capacity, looks are key.

Given that James Bond almost lost his life in one of the books because his .25 didn't have enough oomph....

In any case, I suspect we'll see Bond carrying a .22 as issue around the same time that scientists decide that pigs need to be able to fly.

Archived