KA GBB Thompson Preview

The Insider

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you don't like Depp there's always Gary Oldman.

Good actor but a meh film (*suitcase*-a the Beef shouldn't act, ever).

I really liked Public Enemies....

I liked bits of it. However to me 1930s Collateral just didn't feel as amazing as I thought it would :P.

'FireKnife'

Have we any stats on the magazine? Given lenght (30*.45acp) it could easily hold 70 rounds, possibly more. A shorter mag (20*45acp) might still hold 50 rounds.

A drum mag? Who knows, depends on design and how much space is used for the gas.

I had a hold of this at IWA and it felt awesome . I didn't get to fire it though :(

The M1 etc are all gas blowback

Oh hell yes. GBB WW2 guns.

I have an elaborate idea for a drum mag.  4 CO2 capsules in a fan shape, special 4 valve system that releases the CO2 in a cycled sequence to reduce cool down.

Not necessary. Just connect all the CO2s at once for the same effect. Also that would be mechanically complicated as hell, basically a 4-round burst. Even better:

I'm going to keep saying this until some manufacturer makes it: GBBs need have CO2 mags that are charged with CO2 from an external bottle, like we currently charge with green gas. Best of both.

I'm going to keep saying this until some manufacturer makes it: GBBs need have CO2 mags that are charged with CO2 from an external bottle, like we currently charge with green gas. Best of both.

Yeah I still don't get this. I'm not a techy but I unless there is something to do with the gas tank wall thickness I can't see why not... when I last asked this on here I was told that it was to keep costs down but... why do we not use stick magazines and tiny little propane tanks in pistol grips?

having said that I destroyed my co2 adaptor in a fairy speculator manner  so maybe not for everyone :D

I want to get a gbbr and its between this (depending if it not a pos that is) or the hep oc14.

And to guys that do get them, remember this sage piece of wisdom:

CnyBnyB.png

There was a drum mag in the video... Hopefully they will release it! A properly split expansion chamber design would probably run it fine off propane. Either that or 2 co2 bulbs would easily do 100 rounds.

KA should release this is a free fedora.

On my phone, my spelling will suck.

Yeah I still don't get this. I'm not a techy but I unless there is something to do with the gas tank wall thickness I can't see why not... when I last asked this on here I was told that it was to keep costs down but... why do we not use stick magazines and tiny little propane tanks in pistol grips?

The reason for mags that hold gas and BBs is that when you reload you get a fresh fill of both gas and BBs. Each mag holds a number of BBs and the gas needed to fire them, they're self-contained units of ammunition. When you reload you 'refill' both gas and BBs at the same time. You only need to carry mags with you into combat and know that you'll be able to fire them all off (in theory, anyway). It keeps the projectiles and their propellant together (like in a real gun) so you don't run out of gas before ammo. As a side benefit, it also helps confine the cooldown to one magazine, so when you reload you get a warm(er) gas reservoir.

It's the better way with GBBs because a gas reservoir the size of a mag is (generally) only good for one, maybe two, loads of BBs, so you'd end up firing off a couple of sticks then having to whip out a gas bottle to refill the gas. This way, you've always got enough gas for the BBs you're carrying.

A permanent gas reservoir is only viable with guns where the power source will last for many fills of BBs, like the cheap TM NBBs, some CO2 NBBs, airguns, those EBB pistols with a grip full of AAA batteries, etc.

It's also more realistic. Stick mags are naff as hell.

My first airsoft gun was the TM .44 Desert Eagle NBB that took stick mags. I was like some kind of mafioso among my friends, they were so jealous.

Got stolen in a burglary. Was *fruitcage* heartbroken.

text

haha my post was probably a bit confusing. I meant I think co2 GIM would be ideal and the idea of keeping costs down by using bulbs and stick mags doesn't wash with me as other wise I think the same would be more popular for green gas, hfc gas etc pistols.

I for one can't stand CO2 bulbs in everything, and end up FAR more expensive than propane tanks that I use (or even the overpriced commercial airsoft gas), more so they are fiddly and take time to change and most importantly you can't change them half way, where you can fill a half full GG/Propane. My gas never runs out because I fill what I use when I bomb up.

Not to say that you can't use them, just offering a different perspective. It woudln't be difficult to have a magazine that takes both (like that uzi that I can't think of right now, WA? KWC?) or to sell two types of magazine (although that's costly for the manufacturer and probaby not worth it for a gun that isn't yet another type of M4)

The issue isn't really the thickness of a magazine designed to take Co2 filled directly into it, more the issue around the cost associated with the increase in quality that would be needed to make a magazine that could handle the extra 700-or-so-psi safely. Magazines designed for propane or gases of a similar pressure can in general be cast from cheap alloys but for a gas like Co2 the magazine would really need to be machined from either an aircraft grade aluminium (as Co2 capable moscarts are) or steel if you wanted to avoid a lottery of the pressure exposing a casting defect.

Current cast magazines sell for anything from about £20 - £50 in the UK, so imagine what the cost of a magazine that's fully machined could end up being if the manufacturers followed the same price structure for them.

That's why manufacturers need to get on board with rechargeable CO2 mags. CO2 is cheap in bulk, more power, less cooldown, etc. but with all the ease of current green gas technology.

Except Co2 lacks the ease of being able to put into mags made out of fairly low end materials, however in general I do agree with you, I would like to see more Co2 powered guns and preferably ones that are filled from bulk bottles.

Realistically though I don't think we'll ever see any real shift to magazines that can be directly filled safely, more realistic would be for manufacturers to continue making cheap cast Co2 magazines but then sell them with specially made refillable Co2 cartridges fitted in with a fill valve in the base. Going with that design would allow the complex part (magazine body) to be made the cheap way and Co2 chamber to be made at a relativly low cost on a CNC lathe from higher quality materials.

Infact you can already get refillable 12g sized Co2 cartridges from Rap4, the only issue with them is the fill valve is in the opening, not at the base so they have to be removed from the mag to refill them.

I take it the refillable RAP4 ones are better than the dire Brocock ones?

There was an air rifle years ago that had some weird 32 round rotary mag with a flat CO2/air tank in/for the stock.  I've always thought that would be a good idea scaled down for airsoft.

The issue isn't really the thickness of a magazine designed to take Co2 filled directly into it, more the issue around the cost associated with the increase in quality that would be needed to make a magazine that could handle the extra 700-or-so-psi safely. Magazines designed for propane or gases of a similar pressure can in general be cast from cheap alloys but for a gas like Co2 the magazine would really need to be machined from either an aircraft grade aluminium (as Co2 capable moscarts are) or steel if you wanted to avoid a lottery of the pressure exposing a casting defect.

Current cast magazines sell for anything from about £20 - £50 in the UK, so imagine what the cost of a magazine that's fully machined could end up being if the manufacturers followed the same price structure for them.

mmm that does make sense - although I'd expect that should the idea kick off the cost would drop. You can get co2 capable moscarts for $15 a piece which isn't too bad.

tbh had airsoft originated in northern europe rather then the far east I don't think we'd be mucking around with propane et al.

Hate to spoil everyones fun with the drum mag, but the gun in the video with the drum mag is KAs AEG m1928.

I've compared the picture to pictures of the AEG, and stills from the video. The front of the reciever has a curve on the AEG and a curve and indent on the GBB, the line along the side of the reciever is also different.

Not to say they aren't going to make a drum mag, just pointing out that that one isn't it.

Of aluminum alloy and real wood external construction, the semi and fully-automatic Tommy Gun can be powered by 134a, HFC-22, and eventually CO2 gas; both drum and box type magazines will be available for the replica following its release later this year.

Archived