1911 Picture Thread

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G10 like the Gunner grips. I have a set of VZ grips in Desert Blonde Canvas Micarta coming in soon. I am curious to see the difference. The G10 is really rough and grippy. I can see why it is used for combat grips.

I am going to have the same guy who made the grips on the Delta make me another set but with Delta Medallions and a slightly different design. Should be amazing. Check out his site.

Well more pictures of all my pistols (and aegs etc) can be found HERE

Answers to questions..........

1) Sh0ty: the suppressed is an MEU early type - stock (no metal) with a KA .45 AAC lightweight suppressor. The grips are Pachmayr legends as already stated. Mine came a little "pinker" in colour than some others from pictures.

2) ViciousV10s: the "silver and black" framed one is the WA CDP. All that its had altered from stock is the wrap around grips that come with the WA MEU. Looks nice and simple now i think. More pics can be found from the link above.

Now a question for the forum....

Is US ebay the best place to get hold of a real set of Kimber hardwood grips (the logo ones)? I fancy a set for the gold match. but not sure where to go.

any help will be much appreciated

Edited by flipsnip
Superb, hkssr20det. What's the material?

Here's a little info about G10:

G10 is fiberglass/epoxy composite. .depending on the grade of epoxy and the glass woven pattern depends on the grade of G10.

G10 was originally used in print circuit boards (laminated with a sheet of copper). . but Benchmade knives ended up being one of the pioneers of using G10 in their handles. ..now, no knife company can't afford to NOT release a knive w/o using G10.. .obviously, ithe usage of G10 moved onto firearms.

G10 products are usually manufactured using compression molding. . sheets of prepeg (short for preimpregnated) G10 are layered until the desired thickness is achieved. . pressure and heat fuses the sheets together (along with the curing epoxy resin). . trimmed out to shape.

I did some projects back in College using glass, carbon, graphite, and kevlar prepeg and compression molding. .

Edited by the cleaner

yeah, micarta is weak. . it's phenolic resin and glass (or sometimes paper/cotton). . but not woven glass mat or anything like G10. G10 is also alot more chemical and thermal resistant than micarta too. If anything, micarta is more decorative than functional.

Hi. I"m a new entry into the 1911 threads. I've had this a little while now. I'm making it my summer project to top off and make it a reliable, hard shooting, accurate and attractive gas pistol. Right now it's none of these. But I think some upgraded internals and a little love from someone with the know-how will turn it into a winner. As soon as I sell my classic rifles i'll have money available. It's not shooting right now, I need to replace the stock firing pin.

Anyways, doesn't make it any less of a looker. Still need to get a metal frame for it. Only upgrades are a 150% Recoil spring and the other spring which name is not coming to mind.

Tell me what you think. I'm hoping to finish it internally and externally this summer. It's an old Magna type 1911 by the way.

P1010014.jpg

P1010012.jpg

P1010009.jpg

P1010008.jpg

thanks for the plug Chris. . .

hey Nyx3d. . nice 1911. . let me know if you want to sell it! (seriously)

Is that an SD or PGC slide?

for two-tones, I've always liked the black slide/silver frame. . .vs silver slide/black frame

my only suggestion is to modify your Hogue grip for your ambi safety before you've completed the gun.