G&G SA80!

dechande

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As I have stated before - I have no problems with the STAR L85 - except the price. For $4000HKD - when a TM M4 costs $1600HKD - I want something that's goddamn perfect - or as close as possible.

Oh and Sysoosi? When I mean Gearbox I mean right down to the gearbox to replace important components - not the quick spring feature.

Yes I meant the entire gearbox, I have had it out and apart a few times now whilst doing a wiring job - and the quick spring release is a god send when re-assembling the gearbox :)

http://www.airsoftwarehouse.co.uk/index.htm

you wont find info on there yet about the sa80 tho.

these guys are really cheap for g&g stuff too, so whatever the price is, its going to be a lot cheaper on here, so i know where ill be getting it ;)

yep, had words with the guys down there earlier in the week, they gave some hints that it would have a blowback system, a metal gearbox, and they would be getting it in next month! there wont be an L86 as far as they know though..

About the price... I don't have any problems with it, but I have other things to buy too, like the M249. Which is a good example: people have bought TOP M249's and CA M249's, they aren't certainly perfect, but "pretty" solid (TOP M249 was horrible, unless someone just forgot to add some loctite) pieces. And they cost... umm I don't know as much as your house? I haven't seen people whining that much about them, at least in Finland. L85 is not as big and heavy as those guns and it may need some tweaking too, BUT not that expensive and is a solid tool. Unless you haven't noticed it yet, Star makes solid and reliable (but fails to make or buy ok motors) guns. There aren't any toy features (yes, you can have the blowback as an OPTION) and I'm totally ok with that. I don't need a working bolt catch or absolute realistic details. Still I couldn't tell the difference from a real steel unless I have held one. Do we need AEG's which are more realistic? You have a sewing machine in it, it's for playing. You tell me how to make it realistic.

If someone tells me the G&G L85 is more realistic let me remind you about the materials :). And I don't remember seeing an absolute price, don't be so sure. I of course hope it's cheap, but at the same time I'd like to see G&G let down picky people. Actually, it would sell with a price tag of 400 quid, because Star is so unreliable and unrealistic. So go for it G&G!

Oh dear.

1) It doesn't have that many features - then why is it so expensive?

2) Solid and reliable but the motors are ###### - bit of a paradox.

3) In Hong Kong - the CA249 mk2 is $5400HKD whilst the L85a2 from STAR is $4400HKD.

4) You say you don't want an ultra-realistic AEG - then why the f**k do you keep ragging te G&G L85 for not being steel? Paradox again.

Oh dear.

1) It doesn't have that many features - then why is it so expensive?

2) Solid and reliable but the motors are ###### - bit of a paradox.

3) In Hong Kong - the CA249 mk2 is $5400HKD whilst the L85a2 from STAR is $4400HKD.

4) You say you don't want an ultra-realistic AEG - then why the f**k do you keep ragging te G&G L85 for not being steel? Paradox again.

1) Because it is steel (and this is not "Oh my god it's steel like the real gun", but more like "mmmm it's solid and durable"), has good performance and its overall quality is good

2) Every gun has problems, the motor is one of them here, but it doesn't make it completely useless or unreliable. It's not like it cannot be changed. This is something the store has to do unless they want the same gun back, because they only installed a new Star motor.

3) That is 1000HKD, what are you trying to tell?

4) Yes, I said I don't need an ultra-realistic AEG. But I see some people don't like the Star L85, because it's not one. So get this: G&G - realistic features, but not steel. Star - not that realistic features, but it is steel. Equal realism? It depends how you look at it. In my opinion solid materials are more important. After seeing my friends G&G GR16 and its upper receiver - no magnesium please :(. And it's ultra-light too which I like though, but realism it is not (which some people don't like). So I just wanted to tell that G&G is not automatically the winner here. But like I said, I wouldn't worry about it NOT being steel, but I would worry about it not being solid enough for some people (including me).

If you see some paradox here, please tell me like you just did.

Well regardless of any issues with either the Star or G&G SA80s, the one thing which makes G&G the winner for me(and probably many others) is the price it will most likely be(near to £300). Star definately lost my, and probably many other peoples custom by Pricing it so high. They thought they had a niche market, and now they dont because G&G are releasing an SA80 at a lower price. I couldnt be happier that star may get what was coming to them.

Basicly, I do believe, however good the Star SA80 is, that star were taking advantage of the fact that they were the only company that made a decent L85/86 out of the box by pricing it so high, but even though iam a big fan of SA80s, i just couldnt justify the extra 180 quid i would need to spend on this compared to a classic army armalite or CA36. So i bought the CA36k, and layed my SA80 dreams to rest.

Now that G&G are bringing in another SA80 which will almost definately be lower priced(wouldnt make any buisiness sense to have it more than its rival), star are royally boned unless they fix all the problems with their SA80, and lower the retail price somewhat. I know i'd go with G&G, and im sure most of the people here would side with them. They may have had problems with the GR16 series, but they have excellent post sales service and fixed them all right up, and i dont think star did that with the bag-o-###### that was their UMP.

hmmm im still undecided. i would like a cheaper SA80 , But the photos ive seen in this thread seem to show a lower quality finish ect on the G&G Model , i have always stuck with classic army and curse them for not making an SA80 , ive no experience with either star or g&g although testimonials on both companies draw a picture of unreliability. in the end i think i will get the star model purely because of the external finish and A2 Cocking lever. And fork out the extra 120 quid at time of purchase for reliability upgrades. alot of money i know but seeing as the VCRB is hanging over us if im getting an SA80 i want it to be perfect and not leave me wanting more (which a lower quality version would)

God I love reading a thread where poeple are arguing over something non of us has seen nor has it been released.

Chances are that the G&G will be cheaper than the STAR, why because Im sure thier PR staff read the forums and have taken onboard comments such as "God I would love a L85, but they priced it out of my reach." So many people have said this including myself. I wanted one so bad i was prepared to sell off half my Gun collection.

Materials G&G make metal bodied guns period, does it actually matter if its Aluminium, steel or Magnesium?? Not really these are toys, regardless of metal it will still be more realist than the Academy or converted Asahi guns and pretty solid. I play ruff with my guns and they get abused in the field and loved at home. Have i broken any of the bodies yet? Nope not one, will I yeah probably.

Internals, G&G make better internals FACT if they do drop the ball they recall or repair FACT. Star doesn't FACT, they want your cash and thats it FACT.

Now tell me which would you go for, For me G&G has my vote. Just hope that they use the real trades now that the company doesn't exsist anymore!

hmmm im still undecided. i would like a cheaper SA80 , But the photos ive seen in this thread seem to show a lower quality finish ect on the G&G Model , i have always stuck with classic army and curse them for not making an SA80 , ive no experience with either star or g&g although testimonials on both companies draw a picture of unreliability. in the end i think i will get the star model purely because of the external finish and A2 Cocking lever. And fork out the extra 120 quid at time of purchase for reliability upgrades. alot of money i know but seeing as the VCRB is hanging over us if im getting an SA80 i want it to be perfect and not leave me wanting more (which a lower quality version would)

Just got to say that's a test model, that doesn't have any paint or finish on it yet.

I'd wait for the G&G before you spend lots on a Star.

The tappet plate of my friend's G&G GR16 broke so would they have sent a replacement if he had asked them to do so?

Actually I don't care, because Marui's tappet is better anyway.

I just can't trust this company, overpriced ###### IMO. I won't buy this gun, because the receiver is magnesium and it's not probably as solid as the Star. That's it.

The tappet plate of my friend's G&G GR16 broke so would they have sent a replacement if he had asked them to do so?

Actually I don't care, because Marui's tappet is better anyway.

I just can't trust this company, overpriced ###### IMO. I won't buy this gun, because the receiver is magnesium and it's not probably as solid as the Star. That's it.

Then by all meand buy the STAR for over twice as much.

on a practical level , i want any SA80 i purchase to perform to at least the level of my CA M15A1 CQB which means i want metal gears , at least an m100 spring and high ROF.

My main draw to the star model is the level of quality to the asthetics and feel. from what ive seen , details like the A2 cocking handle and mag release cover are missing from the G&G Model.

Admitedly it would cost alot more to first buy the STAR model and then to completly swap out the internals but maybee its money worth spent.

although it is alot.....

as long as G+G offer spare parts (which they will) while Star definately do not (in fact ignore all emails regarding broken parts) the G+G model will have my vote regardless of price !

among the MANY problems on the few Star versions we have was a broken nozzle which is a unique part and Star do NOT offer the replacement part so in effect it is now a £400 paperweight.

At least G+G adknowledge they make some dodgy products and replace the parts asap (for free)

1) Because it is steel (and this is not "Oh my god it's steel like the real gun", but more like "mmmm it's solid and durable"), has good performance and its overall quality is good

2) Every gun has problems, the motor is one of them here, but it doesn't make it completely useless or unreliable. It's not like it cannot be changed. This is something the store has to do unless they want the same gun back, because they only installed a new Star motor.

3) That is 1000HKD, what are you trying to tell?

4) Yes, I said I don't need an ultra-realistic AEG. But I see some people don't like the Star L85, because it's not one. So get this: G&G - realistic features, but not steel. Star - not that realistic features, but it is steel. Equal realism? It depends how you look at it. In my opinion solid materials are more important. After seeing my friends G&G GR16 and its upper receiver - no magnesium please :(. And it's ultra-light too which I like though, but realism it is not (which some people don't like). So I just wanted to tell that G&G is not automatically the winner here. But like I said, I wouldn't worry about it NOT being steel, but I would worry about it not being solid enough for some people (including me).

If you see some paradox here, please tell me like you just did.

1) Good performance - Doubtful. Most cases it requires LOTS of tweaking to get it to work well - and that doesn't justify the price. The TM M14 for example - it's possibly the most solid Stock AEG I've held apart from the CA249 - and it's cheaper.

2) The motor needing replacement doesn't make it useless or unreliable?!?!?

Please - try to skirmish with a broken motor - I'm sure you could shout 'Bang' loud enough to scare people into surrendering.

And yes - the problems can be fixed - but that costs money - and the gun costs enough as is.

3) The CA249 is all steel - It's much bigger and much more reliable and uses easily replaceable parts and it still has a quick change spring. And it's only $1000HKD more.

4) Most companies use Alloy recievers - CA, G&P, ICS and yes, G&G - and they're perfectly fine, solid as hell. Steel is a nice touch - but it isn't incredibly necessary - and it's certainly not as expensive as STAR seems to want you to think it is.

as long as G+G offer spare parts (which they will) while Star definately do not (in fact ignore all emails regarding broken parts) the G+G model will have my vote regardless of price !

among the MANY problems on the few Star versions we have was a broken nozzle which is a unique part and Star do NOT offer the replacement part so in effect it is now a £400 paperweight.

At least G+G adknowledge they make some dodgy products and replace the parts asap (for free)

And here's another good point - STAR uses many model-specific parts in the L85 - many of which are still not available from retailers.

Archived