No way in hell this will happen!

clmwrx

You're just upset it wasn't Norwegian troops who got to do that.

"Got to do that"

...Well, of course they could've done it too, just catch some people down in Iraq and rape them, but they didn't. That's the differnce.

And you had black slaves before Hitler started his circus. And the Indians. Oh, the Indians. By the time they were butchered, you were all proud to be American. Can't blame "us" for that.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the only way they will disarm me is after i send a good 100 or so of them away in body bags!!!! they will never disarm me. it is my second amendment. it is my right. and i will carry it on FOREVER!!!!

So you would kill 100 innocent people because they didn't want you to have guns.

Responsible.

On the American UN forces defecting note. I believe UN troops swear an oath of loyalty to the UN rather than their country, though I may be wrong.

Finaly, I'm not sure what you're worried about. Its the UN they won't actualy enforce it.

Gentlemen, please. This is typical UN verbal diahhorrea. And even if they did get round to making it a law that they would enforce, can you just imagine them enforcing it based on the past record of UN operations?

UN Soldier: "You have an illegal firearm! Drop it and back away!"

Gunman: "No."

UN Soldier: "In that case I am authorised by UN rules of engagement to say....Please?"

Gunman: "No. Sorry."

UN Soldier: "Awww, go on! Pretty please!"

Gunman: "Nope. Actually, how about you give me your gun?"

UN Soldier: "uh, wait a sec....<checks UN rules of engagement> uh, okay, here you go."

Gunman: "Cheers."

UN Soldier: "No problem. Hey, do you want to go and massacre your neighbours because they come from a different ethnic background?"

Gunman: "Not really, why?"

UN Soldier: "I've never had the chance to look on impotently while a massacre is taking place. All the other UN troops have done it, I feel so left out....."

Gunman: "Well, if I did want to massacre my neighbours, I wouldn't ask you along, you might testify at my war crimes trial. I'd hate to have the UN after me for war crimes."

UN Soldier: <wipes away tears of laughter from his eyes> "Aw, man, you kill me, you really do...... hey, do you want to take me hostage for a bit?"

Please note that the above is not intended to insult UN peacekeeping troops, but rather to insult the idiots who deploy them in dangerous situations with absurd RoE's and little authority or backup. Just thought I'd make that one clear :D

Pfff...even if the UN tried enforcing it, we as Americans just need to send the "God Warrior®". That woud reduce their enforcement capabilities back to just writing hate fueled, angry emails at those who do not comply. We just have to tell her that they're, oh, I dunno, plotting the downfall of Pat Robertson or something :P .

So, in an attempt to curb small arms sales throughout the world, a move that would no doubt have some effect on the amount of gun-related wars and crime (whether the gun is "legal", it can still end up in the hands of criminals. The fact that most gun crime is commited by people with illegal guns really ought to illustrate this), the UN wonders if asking its member states to act as role-models for other nations by curtailing their own gun ownership.

Obviously, the member states who allow private citizens to legally own automatic assault rifles have a problem with this. Why shoud THEY have their rights violated just to act like role-models for other nations?

And suddenly, we have a DEBATE, rather than what is one of the most blatantly prejudicial threads I've seen since, well, last friday.

Seriously guys, pull your socks up. this forum USED to be a debating ground, NOT a "lol, lets laugh at the stupid Europeans/Arabs/Americans" idiot board.

Ditch the bigotry, and that goes for your sigs too, or I'm going to be forced to kick seven shades of smeg out of you. And I'll not enjoy one bit of it. Not at all...

You might shoot at our troops but we'll just drop 2 500 pound bombs on your *albatross*. ;)

Edit: I might also add that 90% of UN forces are American. about 75% would defect and I think we all know which country would fill in the gap.  ;)

Rubbish.

The United States provided 26% of the UN peacekeeping budget in 2006.[1] As of February, 2006, there were 372 US personnel (8 troops, 347 civilian police, and 17 observers)[1] in worldwide UN peace operations, accounting for 0.5% of the total UN peacekeepers. As commander-in-chief, the President of the United States never gives up command authority over US troops. When large numbers of US troops are involved and when the risk of combat is high, operational control of US forces will remain in American hands, or in the hands of a trusted military ally such as a NATO member—though the US Department of State insists that the US must "allow temporary foreign operational control of US troops when it serves US interests."

The lack of US involvement in UN peacekeeping operations has drawn criticism from other member states. The paltry investment of personnel in UN peacekeeping operations is attributed to "the Mogadishu factor"—a deep reluctance by US administrations to incur casualties in military operations which do not serve US strategic interests.

The US also deploys units, not under UN control, alongside UN peacekeepers in the Balkans, East Timor, and the Sinai.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UN_peacekeepi...ping_operations

That's the thing though with the UN it always get's degraded because of a certain country in the north American continant. :rolleyes:

Is it me, or has there been a real dip recently in the quality of American posting? Goddamn trolls.

:zorro:

Well..........I see we're back to bashing the United States of America. :(

Can we just agree that the US is the Evil Empire, and be done with it? :angry:

Read my post. Did I bash America? No. I stated that recently, the quality in posting from people giving their location as the United States has dropped. Primarily, this is because of a lot of people who only seem to be here to post incendiary tripe in the hope of winding folks up. I'm not going to name names, as I think it's pretty obvious who they are. Look through any thread discussing the US and you'll find people who seldom if ever post anywhere else throwing abuse at anyone who dares suggest America is less than perfect.

Oh, and you'll find Spedz is correct. The UN is often hampered by the US refusing to go along with it, or indeed taking action against the UN's recommendations. See Iraq for details. That's not bashing America, that's just how it is. If you're an American who doesn't like that, instead of flaming people who point it out, elect a better government. :)

:zorro:

ooooowkay....

"...These dictatorships, terrorist states and so-called “free” nations of the world plan to meet on our home soil to finalize a U.N. treaty"

and ya'll wonder why the world takes a look at the US and goes W...T...F..??

i noticed these big *albatross* signs in Oregon, sayin "Get the US out of the UN!" last time i was there :huh:

what happened to all the butkissing and allies and friends *beep* when ya'll wanted to go play an illegal war (wich Khofi Annan said so in a CNN interview, but later recalled his statement -wonder why :rolleyes: -) not that i need his word or whatever to make up my mind <_<

oh but then the UN all of a sudden became all evil...

WTF... maybe if you started acting a little bit more sane, instead of going the same way as those "terrorists" you claim to fight....

How the hell can you expect a sane person to see you point when your president goes "i believe i'm sent by god, to lead my country where ever the *fruitcage* it needs leading"... wait a minute...isn't there this bearded chap with the same fubared ideas, but different "god" somewhere in... oh snap ! :unsure:

but i digress

point is, show me the terrorist countries in the UN :huh: ....

closest i can find atm is.....oh the US?

i dunno, maybe it's time to play ball a little more with the rest of the world, instead of beating yourself on the chest going USA AM best ! and having your way...

rant over

so why may i ask, is the US allowed to twist the UN arounds its little finger to attempt to force the "terorist states, dictatorships etc" to bow to its will and when those same states attempt to use the UN in a fair way (basicaly mirroring the us approach) they are attacked for it?

so they cant

use diplomacy

use force

develop any weapon sytem which has been around for well ever

trade there goods with the rest of the world.

ah yes the un in action. making small countries which the US decides it dislikes suffer punitive trade limitiations

What I find hilarious is that the website is basically a sales pitch for Wayne LaPierre's latest "OMG Gun control IS HERE" book, and Wayne LaPierre may well be remembered as the guy who compared the ATF to Nazis.

Yeah, not only are his facts on that website almost nonexistant, he looks funny.

WAYNE LAPIERRE LOOKS FUNNY! BAN HIM! DONATE TO THE NRA TO BAN HIM!

OK you're right.

My Wish:

Some day the US will recall all our military,

we will stop sending relief money to other countries

and we will vacation here.

The world will be a much better place then.

TJ

P.S. At least I give a real location.

it is perhaps the greatest weakness of the UN that it is, essentially, at the mercy of those nations who have the power to resist it- basically every nation with a permanent place on the security council.

The permanent status of their membership, and the veto that they have because of this, enables ALL these nations, not just the US, to be able to hobble any UN objective if it does not offer benefits or would in fact harm that countries interests.

France has frequently gone against the UNs own nuclear proliferation agreements, Russia and China, throughout the Cold war, used their veto tactically to cripple the UNs ability to send peacekeepers to regions that required them, and the US has shown its support for Israel by vetoing every attempt to curtail their efforts against Palestine that has been tabled.

That and the fact that the UN is fundamentally up the proverbial because diplomats to the UN start under the assumption that they are there to fight for THEIR countries interests, NOT the interests of the UN.

The UN, essentialy, was set up for failure, rather like the League of NAtions, from the word go.

Thankfully, they still manage to do a tremendousd amount of humanitarian work in the world, but only so long as those effort do not have any negative impact on the permanent members- look at Britains recent revolt over the UNs attempts to pass a Child Soldier law restricting the age of military enlistment to those legally classed as adult in each member state- the UK allows the enlistment of minors into its armed forces, and as such would fall foul of the Child Soldier legislation, something that would make the UK look particularly sordid, so it hobbled the legislation rather than change its own rules for the benefit of children throughou the world.

Yes, there's some particularly awful stuff going on in international relations...

Archived