What are you currently reading?

Chimpy

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I feel bad for the guy who had to play Viola's part @__@ guy playing a girl pretending to be a guy who later petends to be a girl I think

Wrong play - you're thinking of Twelfth Night. Much Ado features Claudio, Benedict, Beatrice and Hero.

like the whole first scene of romeo and juliet

most disturbing english lesson ever.

finished steppenwolf, would recommend any of hesse's works

then read "holes" again,  currently @ The Lotus Caves - John Christopher

have been recommended "dune" anyone know it?

Dune is a very good, if long read. It may also be worth your while to read the three Prelude to Dune books by Brian Herbert - House Atreides, House Harkonnen and House Corrino which give some insight into various back stories hinted at in Dune.

Im reading "A Glorious Cause", which is historical fiction about the American Revolution, and "The Marines of Autumn", again historical fiction, About a guy called back into service during the Korean war to determine if the Chinese were going to intervene - and i think we know how THAT turned out.

Both are excellent reads, especially for anyone who is a fan of the Shaaras (in the case of the former)

I also recommend the Emperor series by Conn Iggulden. Its like Gladiator on paper.

Dune is a very good, if long read.  It may also be worth your while to read the three Prelude to Dune books by Brian Herbert - House Atreides, House Harkonnen and House Corrino which give some insight into various back stories hinted at in Dune.

Ever read any of the other Dune books? The ones about Paul's children and descendants? Very long and tedious, but a decent read once you knuckle down and get into them.

I'm currently reading Running With The Demon by Terry Brooks, Book One of The Word and The Void. Bloody good book.

Halo:First Strike by Eric Nylund.

It's one of the few books that I will actually willingly read.

It's a great book that picks up where Halo 1 left off and leads up to Halo 2.

I read all three of them in 4th grade. Still my favorite books ever. Cant wait for Ghosts of Onyx. :)

• 4 months later...

Ok, that might be considered as necroposting but meh... it's for a good cause!

Well, I've recently been reading "If I die in a combat zone" by Tim O'Brien, "Rogue Warrior" by Rick Marcinko (it was cheap, so...) "In the company of heroes" by Mike Durant and "Chickenhawk" by Robert Mason. All of them are really good books (Marcinko's a bit exagerated, but still funny and contains good info) especially the last ones, if you're interested in helos.

Now, I'd like to buy some other books, and want some advices.

I was looking for "Black Hawk Down" and "The Battle of Mogadishu" by Marl Bowden, is there actually a difference between those books or has is been renamed after the movie? if there is one, which one should I read first? There is an offer for the second one with "No True Glory" by Bing West on the battle of Fallujah, is it any good?

Was also looking at "We were Soldiers once... and young" by Al Moore and Jo Galloway, as I really like the movie and it's related to "Chickenhawk"

Any other recomandations? I'm looking for historical books, preferably first hand experience, but anything else is welcome too.

Only thing I read recently was Narcissu.

"This is the story

of a girl whose heart was standing still

and a boy whose breath was being stolen away,

both of whom die."

I've reccomended it in the Anime thread, but it's really not anime at all.

In any case, it's pretty short, it's free, and it's really awesome. Very poignant and emotional - the translators did a great job on this one in my opinion.

Here's the download link, I'd really advise you guys to check it out - it'll take you three hours tops to read through it and it's absolutely beautiful.

http://narcissu.insani.org/down.html

Archived