What are you currently reading?

Chimpy

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

now reading Redcoat: The British Soldier in the Age of Horse and Musket by Richard Holmes

a bloody good book with none of the sharpe style snobbery of officers, its factual and shows how the redcoats werent the animals portraited by hollywood and mel gibson but were one of the best and most adaptable fighting forces of their time. full of facts and interesting quirks its worth reading for any lover of military history

US Army Field Manual No. 3-24/Marine Corps Warfighting Publication No. 3-33.5 aka The US Army/Marine Corps Counterinsurgency Field Manual.

Definitely aiding my understanding of the insurgency in Iraq and, for instance, why the insurgents didn't wait for us to pull out before they started to kill each other and our troops.

In the vein of reading War books, I'm currently part way through David Kenyon Webster's Parachute Infantry.

Really good read on the whole.

As a counterpoint I've got Heaven and Hell: The War Diary of a German Paratrooper by Martin Poppel to read some time, too.

Not to mention the dozens of other books I've bought but never read... Life... <_<

Cheers.

US Army Field Manual No. 3-24/Marine Corps Warfighting Publication No. 3-33.5 aka The US Army/Marine Corps Counterinsurgency Field Manual.

Definitely aiding my understanding of the insurgency in Iraq and, for instance, why the insurgents didn't wait for us to pull out before they started to kill each other and our troops.

Good FM but don't look at it as the be all and end all of COIN doctrine. I think theres a thread from a couple of years back where I linked the final draft in PDF format along with Kilcullens "28 articles". :)

For anyone else that wants a copy 3-24 can be grabbed in PDF format here:

http://usacac.army.mil/cac/repository/mate...coin-fm3-24.pdf

I'm currently reading:

Insurgents, Terrorists and Militias: The Warriors of Contemporary Combat

It's a pretty good exploration of the influences of tribal organisation on todays guerrilla campaigns. It's based on four case studies of Somalia, Chechnya, Afghanistan and Iraq. The premise developed is that modern militarys do not "know their enemy" and offers anthropological, historical and cultural insights into each case study by way of explaining how and why each fight as they do. I've not finished it yet but the final chapters promise to tie everything together. I suspect it will be more of the same "know your enemy" stuff. If you've read 3-24 then you'll like it as it shows how militarys fail the basics readily by underestimating the opposition.

Recently finished Peter F Hamilton's Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained. Both excellent. Also, recently finished Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon, again most excellent and highly recommended for all you Sci-Fi fans out there on there on the interweb.

Currently stuck into Gridlinked by Neal Asher, which is good, but hasn't grabbed me in the same way i.e: I've been able to put it down and do other stuff.

Oh yes, I'm surprised that no one has recommended Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash, about the coolest Pizza Ninja delivery hacker ever :D

Good FM but don't look at it as the be all and end all of COIN doctrine. I think theres a thread from a couple of years back where I linked the final draft in PDF format along with Kilcullens "28 articles". :)

The FM says that it's not the be-all and end-all. In fact, it strongly recommends that the reader pick up any or all of the titles on insurgencies in an appendix. Most of them are about Algeria or Vietnam, one is about Yemen, a couple about TE Lawrence, and one is Chairman Mao's On Guerilla Warfare. In all, there are about twenty titles listed in the 'classics' section with more in other sections, including contemporary titles and interviews and the additional little bit that says: This is not a be-all and end-all list of insurgency/counterinsurgency literature, it's just some we thought would be useful. :P

• 1 month later...

I can thoroughly recommend the "Night's Dawn" trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton if you're into Sci-fi. Set in a future human society spanning the stars, with a couple of alien races and people being possessed by the dead. Great characters, and the whole thing's been thought out extremely well.

The book titles are:

The Reality Dysfunction

The Neutronium Alchemist

The Naked God

I'm halfway through The Naked God at the moment.

Just finished reading Tom Carew - Jihad, The Secret War in Afgahnistan.

Currently reading Maggie Furey - Aurian, Book One of The Artifacts of Power. So I will be reading the whole 'Artifacts of Power' series and then moving onto either Antony Beevor - Berlin: The Downfall 1945 or Arkady Babchenko - One Soldier's War in Chechnya.

Archived