How has airsoft affected you?

Sabachthani

its made me see things in a more light hearted way. in airsoft, if someone shoots u and it hurt for whatever reason, there isnt anything you can do. i find myself aplying this theory of there is nothing u can do to everything and its removed alot of stress. if there is somehting i can do i now how the confidence to do it and i think thats come from airsoft too.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know more about guns than my friend knows about cars, and that is frightening. I've had bullet calibers engraved into my memory. Movies are ruined because I pay too much attention to the guns and gear they're using (I still don't know the plot of Transformers). And best of all, I am out well over $1500 by now.

Airsoft has ruined my life.

But at least I ended up with a pretty sweet toy gun that shoots little plastic pellets.

I look waay too close in hollywood movies.

Transformers - When the black guy shoots @ the decepticon thingy, i noticed his ejection port had a hopup. I was cracking up, nobody else in the movie knew what I was laughing about.

I am Legend - The stylized muzzleflashes just made me look at the movie in disgust. the plot was ###### too

I also name evvery part and component on armalites. I also love to name every weapon used in the movies. When a game says "clip" instead of mag, I go berserk and proceed to scream that the Devs are nubs.

I to name every weapon in movie's I watch and annoy my friends when I correct them in regards to firearms and gear. I can reload various guns in several seconds and I can stalk people silently in the woods. My yard and patio looks like it's snow year round and my room is now covered in various tactical gear, weapons/ parts and little white balls.

Airsoft actually ruined my life...

I used to like my job, but since its in IT, I now spend most of the day in forums instead of working!

Also instead of working seriously I just "burn" through the week waiting for the weekend...

Er...you work in IT and you spend more time on the forums than 'working' and you get to the weekend with something to look forward to...I'd say that's all a big plus for someone in IT :P:D

I've spent a fair amount on Airsoft, the rest I've just wasted ;)

Met a bunch of people instead of the typical college party crowd, which i despise with all my being, who are genuinely good people.

Subsequently i stayed away from the terrible college party environment.

Poorer by about 2 grand by now.(need to get that one out of the way)

Been heavily motivated to lose weight/stay fit.

Gained an even greater interest in history(if i went further i would have to change my major to it haha).

Gained a deep appreciation for those men and women around the world who give their lives for their country.

Learn leadership and teamwork skills.

Learn a bit more about mechanical things, electronics.

Been better off over all i would say.

All while slinging plastic.

Would never go back.

I cant watch a film without correcting the actors when they talk about guns......AGH!

Haha, same here. I constantly point out inconsistencies and errors in films now. Consequently my family hates me :P

EDIT: I also do the whole "This would be a good place to play" thing. I created a plan on how to defend the Biltmore mansion were I ever in there during an attack :P (real or airsoft). But yeah, I constantly size things up as either "good place to play" or "this is how I'd do it".

Again, family hates me :P

Hmm, maybe we should all start an 'Airsofters Anonymous' Group? :D

I seem to have many of the common side effects of airsoft overdose:

Lack of money, waste my time looking up the latest airsoft replicas/parts/gear, can't go to any open land without thinking "This would be a great place to airsoft", all I think about when I'm supposed to be doing some sort of work is zone out and think about the next airsoft skirmish, lack of space in my room, airsoft bbs all over the yard and my room, more airsoft replicas than I need, a loathing for any video game/movie/book that completely lacks any realism whether it be tactical/equipment based, I have few friends outside of the airsoft community and then there's the cringing whenever I hear anyone attempt to talk to me about airsoft/firearms/military related topics when they don't know what the hell they are talking about.

To solve these, I've forced myself to no longer buy anymore airsoft equipment until something in my current setup fails (I currently have a whole 400 bucks saved away which is a record high for me), I'm trying to actually get outside and do something that has nothing to do with airsoft in any size/shape/form, I cleaned my room until every last bb was found (takes forever as the damn vacuum doesn't pick up bbs), trying to avoid getting on the computer (not working out too well), took all the airsoft related items I do not use frequently and tossed them into some boxes and then into my garage, currently trying to sell some of them off, and am trying to find some other hobbies that would hopefully turn out a little cheaper and would be a little 'healthier' for me to be obsessed with. ^_^

Remember guys, the first step is admitting you have a problem! :P

As for the good things airsoft has taught me, an obsession of airsoft has caused a lack of interest in sex/drugs/movies/driving/getting drunk/and other deadly things most other teens find interesting, how to respect firearms or other deadly equipment, how great it is to live in America with such light gun laws and wide open public land to play on, a better understanding and respect of the science of physics, it has kept me in fairly good shape, and perhaps the greatest thing I've learned from being a part of the airsoft community is maturity and a respect for my elders which almost completely isolates me from the teenage community. :rolleyes:

I look waay too close in hollywood movies.

Transformers - When the black guy shoots @ the decepticon thingy, i noticed his ejection port had a hopup. I was cracking up, nobody else in the movie knew what I was laughing about.

I am Legend - The stylized muzzleflashes just made me look at the movie in disgust. the plot was ###### too

I also name evvery part and component on armalites. I also love to name every weapon used in the movies. When a game says "clip" instead of mag, I go berserk and proceed to scream that the Devs are nubs.

What scene in Transformers are you talking about? Because I can't seem to find it, and I've got it in HD, so I'd imagine I should be able to see it :P

Best Regards :)

Airsoft changed my life a bit, too. Now instead of DVDs I spoend my money on airsoft bits and pieces. I also know hell more about guns. Before airsoft everything was either a machine gun a Kalashnikov or an M16.

Also, airsoft changed my friends a little bit, as well. Now the only thing they deem worth mentioning about me to anyone in their circle of friends is that I am a gun-loving maniac. And those friends act as if they are shocked in disbelief. 2 minutes later I have to "bring the collection out" so they can pose with the guns and helmet and vests. :P

And it also made me a little more opened up to other people. Nothing better to crack the ice than shoot someone in the butts and later apologise :)

My bank card has long ago since killed itself. I now do everything over the net. Overdraft is a weekly thing. I too find myself correcting hollywood films. (Smokin' Aces' M82 with box mag. Counted 34 shots without reloading).

But I find myself immensely more knowledgeable about firearms. And also how to make an AK-47 self destruct (not hard, but I'd never do it. I paid a good $300 for my AK). Which I guess helps with my future line of work, US Army then onto Blackwater then Gunsmithing/Police Officer.

Has airsoft influnced my choice of work? Alittle bit. But growing up in a heavily military family didn't help either.

Well, in trying to stay out of the hole financially, I have nothing better to do but just look up as much info on the guns I want, which makes me want them more. One thing it has done for me is to incline me to finally learn some of the finer differences between various models of the Klashnikov family tree. Its also left me an airsoftoholic, seeing as I spend way too much time on airsoft forums and sites. Its also made me take interest in a sport that I don't get to play more than a few times a year, cause no one in my local area plays, and it seems like there's no where to play...oh well.

Archived