• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HKG36: Because I had one laying around and wanted to see if I could... isn't that the purpose of all modding?

Wege: Kasumi was the Benelli; she got chopped super short, then became a parts gun before being upgraded with a new spring, tightbores, and a few other bits. She's about six years old, you know...

Not the most interesting shots, but I have little in the way of russain/chinese accessories to use, so I'll get better shots later:

AKS-74UN-01.jpg

AKS-74UN-02.jpg

AKS-74UN-03.jpg

AKS-74UN-04.jpg

AKS-74UN-05.jpg

Snorkel, how did you die your grip plum? I would love to do the same. And where did you find the proper real AK furniture?

And then there were two :) how are you finding it in use?

I take it yours is final production version (51xxx serial rather than 50xxx one)? Any noticeale differences from one i reviewed?

eg does bolt still tilt inwards if theres no battery in the gun, and is there any difference to outer barrel? ..I was told a change was to be made to outer barrel on retail ones to make production easier, so Im wondering if its still pinned in place like real one/prerelease were, or actually screws in place now?

real furniture on mine is a borrow from my deact till i source a couple of sets

the lower grip is close enough fit to be a drop in replacement. The real upper needed a little work

Each end of the upper grip has an arched lip that runs along the ends and fits inside the gas block end caps - on real one these were 28mm wide, on VFC they were 26mm

5 mins with a dremmel and sanding attachment shaves a mm off the surface of the lip and lets it fit into the VFC gas tube (fitting the upper is same as a real one - to remove the wood piece you rotate it 180 degrees so it comes out of the gas tube end caps, and fiting is same in reverse - line lips up with end caps and rotate 180 degrees into place)

dyeing the pistol grip

dylon multi-purpose dye 'bordeaux; (equivalent type of dye in states is made by RIT but I dont know if RIT have an exact match for the bordeaux colour - most lilely its the 'wine' colour dye they sell)

2 quid for the dylon in UK, I think the RIT is 2 dollars in states

one capsule of powdered dye in a pint of boiling water (ideally degrease the grip first but I just chucked mine straight in) keep the pot of dye on the stove at a simmer style heat and keep moving the part around

when you lift the grip out of the dye it'll turn a horrendous gold/bronze colour Rinse the part in cold water and it'll go proper colour

final colour is a very dark brown/plum colour If you want a shiny plum grip rather than a matte effect then polish the plastic to a smooth gloss finish (and remove any polish thouroughly) before dyeing it. You only get one shot at dyeing it - go back for a second shot at dyeing it and the grip will turn almost pure black in colour.

same method should be true for the VFC bakelite mag outer shell (you'ld need a bigger pot and say 2 pints of dye to cover it) BUT!! I havent got a bakelite here at mo to try it on (my retail AKSU was supposed to be in this week but wont be here till middle of next week at least now) If you'ld rather not end up with a screaming pink/blotchy purple mag hold off till I try that on my one first :)

edit spelling (woops)

stevie

Edited by snorkelman

Snorkelman I agree 100% with your review.

Bolt is still loose, but not really a problem unless you pull upwards as you pull it back sans battery. And it's not hard to get back on track, so it's not too big a deal in my book.

Handguards are also rough on the sides, could use a sanding/refinishing, though they look/feel very nice on the bottom.

Top handguard can be removed even with a battery in. . . not sure if that's different, but I think in the review you noted: " . . .allowing you to remove the upper hand guard if there’s no stick battery in the gun"

Outer barrel also appears to be pinned, but I haven't tried to pull the pin yet, so I'm not sure.

The stock is not rolled. I'm curious if you know if this is directly replacable with a real one?

I have an 8.4 1200mah that I just fully charged, and my ROF is pretty nice. Surprising for the 8.4, which leads me to believe a weaker spring is used in production, but I'm not sure as I haven't had a chance to actually shoot it yet. Hopefully I'll get up to AEX soon and chrono it. And yes, there's loads of space inside.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this, especially all the attention to detail. The use of real steel style handguard retention, the use of actual rivets rather than molded lumps, all the thought that went into keeping the insides clean, and the overall finish is quite nice (though it'll look better when it gets a little *fruitcage*ed up :P )

My only beef with this gun so far, is that I really have to push to get the top cover to lock in fully. I can close it, and it will latch enough to keep it closed for a bit, but in order to get it to fully latch, I have to give it an extra push, otherwise after a few minutes, or after I fire a couple rounds, the top will just fly open and hit me in the face. . . shut up, it's not funny! But honestly, if that's the worst thing about this gun, Dear Lord, it's the best AEG out of the box I've seen yet (again, can't speak to internals yet).

oh ya, and * 91 051076 :P

Edited by Guest

woops me bad on top handguard - you're right it can be removed with battery still in Force of habit - I was taking it apart at same time as real one so I expect I just pulled the battery out automatically, as though it was the boltcarrier/gas-piston on real one :blush:

Like you say they should clean up a lot with a bit of sanding and a restain n varnish

rolled stock from real one will fit with modifications you just need to cut the rear of it to match shape of the airsoft ones If you lock stock to side of rifle and look at rear of it it the hinge at rear has an L shape to it.

The long part of the L that the pin goes thru isn't as tall on airsoft version and same goes for the horizontal part of the L (real one is double the height on that section as it doesnt have rear of a mechbox to clear)

Hinge pin used on airsoft one is narrower too so Id sleeve the hole on the real one (best modding the hole on real stock's hinge than trying to open up hole on airsoft receiver to take the fatter pin)

top cover on mine clips on no probs, Im wondering if its maybe battery related? eg if battery is fitted so that the wire running along the pack is at 12 or 6 o'clock rather than along one side of the pack at 5 or 7 oclock, the pack just migth be tall enough then that the domed rivets holding rear sight onto top cover are pressing against the pack and putting top cover under tension the whole time?

Would explain why it takes an extra bit of oomph to get top cover down far enough for the latch to fully engage

on guarder kit you can adjust how far forwards/back the end of the receiver cover sits in relation to the lower and then tighten it down with a grub screw under the barrel - put it too far back and the latch barely catches, but on VFC it uses a thru-pin to locate it like real one ,-which means the position is pretty much fixed and should rule that out as a reason (as a sidenote the pin VFC used on mine for that is a loose sliding fit - careful it doesnt fall out if lower handguard is removed and rifle laid on its side)

stevie

Edited by snorkelman

nah, not a battery problem. Nothing is actually getting in the way of it closing, it's just a tight fit, which I actually like. I just have to be conscious to close it fully when I want to start shooting. No biggie.