AK & Variants Picture Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ran into an AK variant I hadn't seen before out on patrol today. The front and sight were just like on an AKSU, the handguard looked like it was from an AK-74, it had an under folding steel skeleton stock and a strange pistol grip. can any one tell me what the heck it was?

Bingo! I recognize the pistol grip. These IAs use weapons from a ###### load of different countries. Most of them seem to have type 56 rifles (made in Egypt :blink:) but I have seen a few oddballs like today. They also use these RPK like machine guns but it had a standard AK type stock... I guess thats what happens when its the most prolific weapon design in the world.

How common is the M92? More common than the AKMSU I would imagine. I want a gun of that sort (underfolder, carbine front) for my Soviet afgfan loadout- I was speaking to a guy who was there (VDV IIRC) and he said that when they were searching people's houses, they used to use guns they had bought from the local market - they would have to log it and do lots of paperwork if the used their issued weapons, and they needed to fire fairly often to take down the large dogs the locals were so fond of..

-Matt

How common is the M92? More common than the AKMSU I would imagine. I want a gun of that sort (underfolder, carbine front) for my Soviet afgfan loadout- I was speaking to a guy who was there (VDV IIRC) and he said that when they were searching people's houses, they used to use guns they had bought from the local market - they would have to log it and do lots of paperwork if the used their issued weapons, and they needed to fire fairly often to take down the large dogs the locals were so fond of..

-Matt

M92s wouldn't been seen in Afghanistan. At all. It was made in Yugoslavia AFTER the conflict started. The only reason you see them in Iraq is because Yugoslavia helped get AK production going in Iraq.

Just get an AKS74 or an AK74 (or AKM and AKMS), anything else will look plain wrong. There are no carbine front, underfolder stocks you could use in 'Afghanistan.' Even the AKS74U isn't quite correct because it was shunned as a bad weapon.

Edited by PlasticMag

Already have an AKMS, just wanted something shorter for indoors work. The guy I spoke did say he used an AKSU initially, until the excessive muzzle climb made him tear not only the dogs in half but also people's living rooms! He later switched to a silenced makarov :P . I hear what you're saying, probably best to stick to the akms. I may build one anyway though, for other loadouts.

Cheers for the advice,

Matt

Edited by mikoyan99

Wow, interesting AKs you guys are building lately! great to see so much effort and creativity.

Im planing on getting a Dboys AKSU soon (as soon as I sell my M500, EBR and M60). This should be good news to you, because, following Murphy's law, as soon as I click on the "pay" button on my paypal account, Gunner and Rsov will start offering the Dboys AIMS or AKMS....

Anyway, how are the Dboys AKSU's inner barrel and hop up? Should I get an aftermarket hop unit? If the answer is yes, wich brand makes the best one?

What spring would give me 350 fps (I know this depends on every individual gun, but just a guesstimation).

Oh, and has anyone fitted a Lipo battery in an AKSu? how'd it go? Shape and brand of said battery?

thanks!

Edited by chas