Mainspire

How do you hold your VFG?  

166 members have voted

1. 1. How do you hold your VFG?

• Full Grip (Whole hand wraps around)
    • Partial (handstop/thumb break)
    • I don't use a VFG
    • Other (Please Explain)

So I was on AR15.com the other day, and there was a thread discussing using VFGs. Somebody made the comment that there is an easy way to prove someone is an airsofter by how they hold their VFG, since they've never learned what the best method is.

So, how does the airsoft community hold their VFG? I'm curious if you guys know.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True that. How you hold your weapon is a matter of preference. It's just that a lot of RS shooters (in any forum) don't like airsofters; always saying "go buy a real gun". Like I'd have any fun shooting at paper all the time.

edit:

Yeah, anyone who's watched Chris Costa videos will know the "proper" way of holding a vertical grip. Even then, I personally don't like holding it that way.

From what I can arfcom is full of fat guys who berate airsofters cause we use toy guns, even though they just use guns as toys.

Anyway, I kinda have my my thumb on the left hand side with most of my fingers towards the top of the vfg and my pink around the middle of it, my hand is kinda angled.

Really?

Where?

I think was during hazing behind the boathouse. I mean at least they told me it was hazing!

I took all my VFGs off, and just go with a thumb break on AR types and the SCAR, the more traditional grip on AKs, MP5s and the SAW. but I do find the fold down grip on a MP7 handy since the thing's just so small. My hands just aren't big enough to get a good thumb break on the AKs etc.

I think the difference of how airsofters and real-steel shooters hold their VFG is decided on comfortableness, and the amount of recoil

Airsoft guns obviously don't have that much recoil (GBB not included, but even they have at most, a .22 amount)

so players tend to usually hold the VFG in the most comfortable position they know.

Real-Steel shooters also go for the comfortable positioning of the hand, but also have to input the amount of recoil they will have to control with the hand holding the VFG.

My theory, I guess.

EDIT: A bit off topic, but why do people play Speedsoft? Isn't paintball there for that type of gameplay?

Chicken wings!!! :D

I hold mine thumb break style on a stubby TD VFG, simply because it's more comfy than holding the grip entirely. Plus, I get to feel up on my stippled XTM's XD.

I'm still curious on how those AFG's perform, will pick one up when the FDE one comes out.

That's what I'm gonna be sticking on my AR soon. I was thinking of the Tango Down VFG, but the thumb break hold is most comfortable for me.

Generally speaking, the thumb break/angled hold is the most effective and most comfortable hold for the support hand. You have maximum control, since your hand is close to the bore, but also the comfort of putting your wrist at a natural angle.

Supination of the wrist occurs if your hold a rifle parallel to it's barrel. This causes fatigue, and it eventually becomes uncomfortable. Handstops don't really help.

When you wrap your whole hand around the VFG like a broom handle (AKA Full Retard), you're straining your knuckles and finger joints, and a lot of control is lost (and when I say control, I'm not referring to recoil alone. The AR has hardly any, anyways). Same goes for magwell grip.

I do understand however, that this is all based on theory. Some people find other grips more comfortable, and that's fair. Everybody's body is slightly different, there's no such thing as a "one size fits all solution," but simply a "one size fits most." The poll speaks for itself.

From what I can arfcom is full of fat guys who berate airsofters cause we use toy guns, even though they just use guns as toys.

Anyway, I kinda have my my thumb on the left hand side with most of my fingers towards the top of the vfg and my pink around the middle of it, my hand is kinda angled.

You're kinda wrong buddy. It's true that firearms enthusiasts (myself included) merely shoot at paper. But there's a good reason for it: Marksmanship. It's what could make the difference between hitting an innocent bystander or neutralizing the hostile.

The Game of Airsoft aside, airsoft guns really are useless. They can't hurt somebody significantly enough to stop them or deter them. That's where real firearms come in. They CAN be used to kill somebody, and that's what makes them useful. Why else would every military force in the world use them? So no, they do not use them as toys. They're using them as tools, and responsibly at that by training themselves to use them effectively.

If airsoft guns were capable of being used to kill people (AKA useful), your government would have permabanned them long ago. However, it looks like it's getting close with the whole violent crime reduction ###### that hasn't done anything. You outlaw catapults, only outlaws will have catapults.

If you ask me, being both an airsofter and an actual firearm shooter have nothing but benefits. You shoot at the range for marksmanship, but airsoft is reserved for practice of actual combat. Makes sense.

For example, one of my airsoft buddies set up his airsoft M4 exactly like his real steel AR-15 (aimpoint, flashlight, furniture, sling), minus the barrel length differences. I'll tell ya, if there ever is a zombie apocalypse, he'd be the last man standing in our group.

And by the way: not all of us are fatasses. ;)

There's speedsoft lol?

I guess so. It was pretty much inevitable that idiots would start playing.

Attending the many airsoft games over the years, as well as shooting RS, I notice the bigger difference between some airsofters and those that shoot RS is how they shoulder the gun.

You don't want to be these guys:

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k269/citywml/al.jpg

Those aren't airsofters. They're paintballers with airsoft guns ;)

I only use a VFG on my M15LMG but how I use it depends on...well, how Im using the gun.

Carrying, its full grip. Aiming in prone I just hook my fingers round it pressing the LMG into my shoulder for a steady aim. Standing firing, I hook round with thumb vertical.

I reckon the right way is whatever is comfortable. But there are too many 1337-gods about who love to emulate Chris Costa and other folks because "Thats what the real people do".

I had this conversation with someone yesterday. He said "Wherever your taclight is aiming is where you will hit cos that the way the SAS do it". Doesnt work with wide-angle illuminators rather than narrow beam lights...you could be aiming anywhere in that wide circle. Its emulation without asking why.

Archived