MikeLondon

H&K Picture Thread

Had a go at painting my newest HK416 - the black was getting old...

IMG_9231.jpg

IMG_9235.jpg

Fairly happy with the paintjob on the HK416. Might have to repaint the rest of the doo-dads to match it :)

• Like 2

I absolutely love the look of the XM8... who makes a decent one? Or is it possible to buy a shell and transplant G36 internals?

As far as i know the best XM8s are made by SRC.  There was a body kit that you could transplant G36 parts into, but I can't remember who made it.  It was expensive though, and it wasn't very good anyway.

The SRC ones may be the best, but they are still made out of naff creaky plastic that flexes in your hands.  Someone really needs to make them out of whatever ARES make their Tavors out of.

I don't think so, the last SRC I held (whatever version have the flip up sights and removable optic) was made from what felt like ABS plastic.

Shame as I've always liked the XM8.

Edited by -Drake-

My apologies it seems that the stock and top rail is on some of them.. I think I'm thinking of the M4s that have nylon fibre receivers, I'm certain of that. 

Edited by DeltaZero

I don't think so, the last SRC I held (whatever version have the flip up sights and removable optic) was made from what felt like ABS plastic.

Shame as I've always liked the XM8.

Drake has it - the SRC XM8 is made of ABS, and ARES Tavors are made of nylon fibre.  I know this as I have both.

Smart Parts made a paintball XM8 years ago. They called it the SP8. I seem to recall that there was a series of posts (or videos?) of someone who took the higher quality SP8 parts and fitted them around an airsoft gun.

EDIT: Linky link

Edited by Gigueand

I owned a gen 3 src xm8 for a little while, its definately made of nylon fiber. It did still have a little flex here and there, but it did not creak. The gen 3 models are the only ones with a pic rail under the optic. Definately worth buying if you can find one. The gen 1 and 2 src xm8s were made of abs.

Edited by Horsem4n

I remain unconvinced, not saying you're wrong though.  I have gen 2 and 3 XM8s, and they both feel like they're made of the same stuff, and they both flex ans creak in the same ways.

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/src-xm8-geniii-aeg-olive-drab.html

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/src-xm8-geniii-aeg-german-grey.html

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/src-xm8-geniii-aeg-black.html

All are listed to have Nylon Fibre...

Quick Overview SRC XM8 GENIII AEG 

-- Nylon Fiber Construction
-- Come With 3 x Aiming Scope
-- G36 Type Metal Magazine accommodate 470 Round 6mm airsoft plastic BB
-- German Grey Version
Edited by DeltaZero
  • Like 1

It's actually called Fibre Reinforced Nylon (FRP), to be correct, probably glass fibre reinforced as it's the most common, cheap and what H&k use themselves.

I remain unconvinced, not saying you're wrong though.  I have gen 2 and 3 XM8s, and they both feel like they're made of the same stuff, and they both flex ans creak in the same ways.

Being made from fibre reinforced nylon doesn't mean it won't flex and creak, it's not a wonder material, if the design allows it to flex then it'll flex to some extent whether it's made from ABS or FRP.

Definitely didn't feel any different than shiny ABS to me. I used to have one of the old GWS xm8 kits from years back and it just reminded me of it, hence why I never took the plunge for the SRC one.

Could very well just be how its constructed but it didn't give me the same impression of rigidity that G36's and tavor's did.

Not trying to disprove anymore, simply sharing my own experiences.