what do you consider your strongest, longest lasting GBB pistol?

Wingman

Would I be correct in thinking all these long lifed pistols have been looked after and regularly cleaned? Only i regularly get pistols to repair that look as though they have been buried in a sand pit or exhumed from Tutenkamens tomb and the owners are surprised they have failed ('hardly used it') or dump gas.

Yes...also the fact that my pistol is a backup and as long as my main gun doesn't fail, it won't get used (or if its a "pistols only" day, which happens only occasionally). My primary sometimes do not last very long...I vividly remember snapping my JAC L1A1 completely in half only after a few days.

Prior to my Marui SIG, I was using a liquid charged MGC M459...I don't even know how old that pistol was (I still have it and works just as well as the first day I got it, but various parts have been replaced over the years). I don't feel like I put a tremendous amount of maintenance.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do maintain and look after mine yes. But then many people have different levels of maintenance.

Some go for the whole hog and make sure that the lube never dries or the gun never doesn't get used even for testing. This is me, sort of (when I get back to the real world and not Hell where I am now).

Others just slap on the recommended minimum and just blast away, ignorant to the fact that a little maintenance keeps kit going. This is not me.

'FireKnife'

I think the majority of this list is going to be TM 1911's Hicapas and P226 ... so surprise entry:

My KWA USP (not even Sys 7 .. it's older than that) plus it's 3 mags no leaks, no failures the only issue I have had was when some retarded clutz dropped it and broke the slide lock (my mind has forgot words?) but it still works fine and will empty a mag fine.

P.s. my TM Hi Capa is the same. lolololol

Would I be correct in thinking all these long lifed pistols have been looked after and regularly cleaned?  Only i regularly get pistols to repair that look as though they have been buried in a sand pit or exhumed from Tutenkamens tomb and the owners are surprised they have failed ('hardly used it') or dump gas.

Nope. I would clean any mud off, and give it a dose of silicone spray if I felt it needed it, but that's it.

I only ever stripped it down once to its component parts for a deep clean, probably 4 years after I bought it.

Not a good maintenance plan, but it shot true :)

I have two TM P226s that have been used and abused more than a Las Vegas backstreet hooker, often as primaries on skirmish days and ran on green gas and MAPP gas. Still going strong where newer KWA and WE pistols have given up from significantly less use.

My pistols are not holster fillers, they get used more than my AEGs do.

Nope. I would clean any mud off, and give it a dose of silicone spray if I felt it needed it, but that's it.

I only ever stripped it down once to its component parts for a deep clean, probably 4 years after I bought it.

Not a good maintenance plan, but it shot true :)

Same here really.

I've honestly no idea what the latest WE pistols are like, haven't laid hands on one let alone shot one.  I'd imagine (purely a guess based on their past track record) they're not super consistent in their construction, which is bound to lead to conflicts of opinion on the internet.

"My handgun is awesome, therefore every one from the same brand is also awesome because they all come out of the factory 100% identical and you're an idiot if you spent any more money, because my gun cost less and works just fine"

The unfounded and frankly mystifying backlash against TM guns that's resulted from WE slightly upping their game is what confuses me.  It seems to be just another symptom of the inverse-snob hipsterism that's been infecting this hobby.  Because if you've spent so much as a penny more than me you must be a *fruitcage* *Ubar*.  Why actually get to know a person?  Just look at their loadout, you'll be able to instantly tell they're a *beep* if they have a pistol which cost a bit more than yours did because they prefer to pay a bit extra for a higher level of QC.  I bet they'd look down their nose at you and call you a stupid noob as soon as they realised your CPC is a clone and not real Crye...........................

I'm not really one to judge pistols. I bought my sig in 2007, and that's really it for GBB. Had an electric glock for ages, which did the job, and bought a KSC glock 26 for a great price, but just to flip it really, as I don't get on with glocks (the electric was a winter gun, my sig has a metal kit, but I don't really like how glocks fit me).

Never had a WE, so all I really know of pistols is what I read here!

I have two TM P226s that have been used and abused more than a Las Vegas backstreet hooker, often as primaries on skirmish days and ran on green gas and MAPP gas. Still going strong where newer KWA and WE pistols have given up from significantly less use.

My pistols are not holster fillers, they get used more than my AEGs do.

Same here really.

So, pretty much like that hooker, they took a lickin and kept on tickin...sorry ;)

Interesting point Tom Andrews raises. Yes I do take care of my side arms, they generally get a field strip and re-lube after a game they get used in, it's something I take pride in doing and enjoy. I don't think that really says anything against the guns reliability though, if you bought a good car then ragged it and never had it serviced, it breaking down wouldn't make it a bad car, it'd make you a bad owner. What I would say though is that some GBB pistols run dirty much better than others, my hi-cappa has cycled when full of fine dust and sand (it made an interesting crunching sound by didn't jam). My HK3 PX4 by contrast got a bit of crud in it at Eversley and just totally jammed up, needed to be stripped down and cleaned up to work. What I have noticed is that some guns cycle dirty and also avoid getting to much in them with rough use than others. My experience is that 1911 designs ad Glocks made by a good manufacturer do well in this regard.

Last few posts are priceless!

I don't know...I find it a little hard to post about strongest, bestest, coolest, most durable pistols. I love pistols, and I have a shed load of them. Some I love more than others, and some are a lot older. It's hard to say that 'X' is more long-lasting that 'Y' if it hasn't seen a lot of usage. I mean, for example, my go-to pistol at the moment is the TM M9A1, although that trades places with an Inokatsu 1911 depending on my mood. I've only had both of them around a year, so not exactly break the bank stuff (except the Inokatsu...that broke the bank and bent me over...)

The only thing I can offer to this thread is a breakdown:

1.) TM Five-SeveN: Stupidly accurate (most accurate I've ever used), and insane gas economy due to the larger gas reservoir. People apparently have hassle with them on green gas; that's news to me - mine is chugging along like a champ, so much so that I got a second one just to have. Mine is circa 2 years old now, with many many rounds through it.

2.) TM Beretta PX4: Very nice pistol; comfortable, economic, accurate and practical (ability to adjust hop up without disassembly = win). It's not as accurate as the Five-SeveN, but still leaps and bounds above the vast majority of what's out there. Again, this one is about 2 years old, had a decent amount of BB's through it...but nothing too drastic, and so reluctant to make claims about its longevity.

3.) TM 1911 Foliage Warrior: Comfortable, lovely looking and laser-beam accurate...problem is that the single stack mags suck *albartroth*. Sure 90% of the time you get full mag out with slide locked back, but because my TM mags seem to have an annoying ability to overfill the mag (i.e. fill the mag for a second too long, and it's let loads of the gas out), I'm not going to lie...I've ended up with 3 shots and then CLICK. Don't get me wrong, once I found out about that it hasn't happened again, and it is a seriously good pistol...but just not as practical or as economic as the huskier-gentleman mags (i.e. PX4, Five-SeveN, Hi-Capa, Glock, M9 etc). I had two of these as well, and one had the known TM disconnector annoyance i.e. due to the excessively round angle on the disconnector, sometimes the slide wouldn't release it from the frame causing you to have to pull the trigger twice to fire once. Fixed by simply oiling the pistol regularly, or by filing the disconnector. Other one has no such issue. Pistol is about 18 months old, couple of thousand BB's through...1 or 2 at most.

4.) TM M9A1: Superb pistol, and sorely required on the market...the M9 was in dire need of a redesign. This pistol is superb as far as accuracy is concerned, and reliability is spot on - pull it from the holster and you know it's going to work. What more can you want? Except of course knowing how long it's going to last, and I'm sorry to say that I cannot answer that...it hasn't been out long enough to be able to make that claim, so it's up in the air for now at least. Personally I consider it the gun, but hey...I love the M9

5.) TM 1911 Hi-Capa 4.3: Great accuracy, comfortable and reliable...but...meh! It's just so uninterestingly bland, and that makes it my "go to someone else" gun - someone needs a pistol, they can use that! It is a fantastic performer, but performance isn't everything (at least that's what I tell the womens) - I think a pistol needs some character, and this is the therapist from the Mask. Got this the same time as the Foliage Warriors, but it really doesn't see the same usage as 'em

6.) TM M9/Samurai Edge: The traditional M9 from TM was a good gun way back when, and it's still good now...it's just antiquated. It shoots straight, and that's it. The weight distribution is wrong, and it relies on the weight of the magazine to give it substance. They look fantastic though, and shoot good enough for a sidearm...just lack the wow-factor of guns like the PX4. I've had this for about a year, perhaps a little longer. Not had many BB's through it...because it's the Chris Redfield Samurai Edge, and I wanted to keep it pretty (yes, I used the word pretty...deal with it :P). I've had the Tac-master before though, so had more hands on time with that than the Samurai Edge; identical on the inside though.

7.) Inokatsu 1911: This is without doubt the nicest pistol I have ever used - it is extremely accurate (my one at least is on TM level), and the recoil is superb...it's the only reason why I own it. Reliability is down to the KJW mags, and provided you replace the main part of them as your maintenance (i.e. fix what's broken regularly), then it is exceptional. In other words the gun is let down in the same way KJW 1911's are; magazines. There's no telling when they're going to leak, just that it is going to happen. Gun is circa 1 year old, and gets solid usage...just not had enough yet to call on strongest most reliable. Besides I don't think that's a title you can give something using KJW Co2 magazines :D

8.) KJW 1911A1/KP-07/BW1911: When the Co2 1911's first appeared they took the world by storm; forceful recoil on an airsoft gun. Loud noise, bang in the hand and decent/serviceable accuracy. I have always considered KJW to be a good company, and find their clones of TM to be faithful and useful. Sure they need a little tuning, but they're certainly an awful lot better than a lot of what else is out there (*cough* WE *cough*). As above though, they are let down in a big way by those awful magazines. In work we joke that we don't think they could have designed them worse, because inevitably they all leak. Otherwise superb gun. Had/have loads of these over the years - oldest is 3 years, and still going strong...with the caveat of fixing the mags

9.) KJW KP-05/KP-06/PT1911/Rail Concept/etc: KJW's hi-capas...again, as above, these nice to hold, lovely to shoot replicas are crippled by their OS...crappy magazine design. Accuracy is the same as on their 1911's, though the profile of the gun has changed slightly (to some chagrin from column A folk, and to the delight of column B folk).

10.) KJW M9: The Co2 M9's from KJW were the best thing to happen the M9 since KSC's de-cocker (and before Marui's M9A1) - proper recoil, loud bang and a very satisfying shooting experience. The accuracy was serviceable - much like the Marui M9 I found it was a straight shooter up to 20m, and then dropped off. I have no idea why, but every single one them I have/had is the same. I keep one now for the sheer pleasure, and reminder of why the TM M9A1 disappoints me slightly :(   Reliability wise...excellent. The mags are nowhere near as bad as the 1911's, though still have problems. That said it is rare that I see the gun actually break. This was my first gun four years ago, still going strong; only had to replace 2x valves in four years...which really isn't bad.

11.) KSC/KWA Sig Pro SP2022: This gun is one of the biggest disappointments of my airsoft purchases, though not the worst. That title belongs to the piece of that is the Marushin/ASG CZ75 shell ejector; absolute garbage-infused codswallop excrement. Anyway...the SP2022...one of the most comfortable guns to hold, beautifully dense in the right places to make it feel like a gun shoot feel - fantastic action on the slide, nice and light trigger...what's not to like? Provided you don't want to shoot it, then nothing is not to like. Once BB's start coming out, that's when your appreciation of this piece gets lower than Lindsey Lohan on the weekends. Calling it inconsistent is an insult to the word...it just plain sucks. That's what you get when your ingenious approach to a hop up nub is a sphere...to contact another sphere...that's some clever engineering there. Gun is 3 years old, and doesn't get used...at all...because it sucks.

12.) KSC Sys. 7 USP Full-Size (& KWA USP Tactical): These two are another example of KSC/KWA's problem - they build fantastic looking guns, and to be fair these are rock solid in the reliability department too...but they just don't shoot well. Man-size target is all you can hope for with these, and that's fine when you don't know any better...but when you see what other guns out there are capable (*cough* Five-SeveN *cough*) you just end up expecting more, and these do not deliver. They do however work like a dog, and that's important too. The USP Tactical was bought brand new 2 years ago, and the USP .45 full size was bought second hand 1 year ago - neither has seen fantastic usage...maybe 1,000 BB's each, at a push

13.) Maruzen PPK: This gun is just...I love it. It's a piece of plastic that feels fantastic in the hand, that kicks hard on green and is ultra snappy. Accuracy is so-so...but it works, and works and works. It looks great...because it's iconic, and James Bond says so. I got this second hand 6 months ago from a collector who had put through maybe 500 rounds, and I've put through about 1,500 since getting it. This is the gun I shoot around the house, partly because I get angry looks when I fire the Inokatsu, but also because I'm humming the James Bond theme 16 times a day.

14.) Socom Gear 1911 MEU (OEM'd by WE): 4 years old, never skirmished, barely shot, this gun was just never up to the challenge. Heavy slide with thin mags that have practically no gas is a recipe for disaster. Not terribly nice to hold, good to look at, and ok to shoot (until 5 shots later and you're out of gas). Not reliable, because in Irish temperatures it doesn't work.

15.) Socom Gear 1911 MEU/24k Gold 1911/WE Mini 1911: 1.5 years old, and since the HK3P factory absorption theory, I can say categorically that the improvement is nothing less than shocking. Tolerances are far superior - the slide to frame fitment actually exists now, and is nowhere near as gapped as Paris Hilton, unlike the older type. Performance and economy is better now due to the above improvements, but it's still not good enough for the tiny reservoir + metal slide. The paint is more matte, and the overall finish is like someone else is making them. Which would be about right for the HK3P factory theory. More BB's through these, because it doesn't feel pointless loading them up.

16.) HK3P PX4: Decent all-round gun. Power is a little low, and benefits from a take-down and service immediately, but overall a very nice clone. In fact I would have to say it's the best clone out there of a TM Pistol, without making any improvements. Accuracy is decent, and the mags are fine...no complaints from me. I don't have anything particularly wowing to say about this gun, except for the fact that it is surprising how good it is considering its cost price.

17.) HK3P Samurai Edge/Barry Burton: The HK3P samurai edge wipes the floor with the Marui - it looks better, feels better, has a nicer finish, and sounds like it should. Considering the antiquated nature of the innards of the Marui, and the fact the HK3P has some degree of an adjustable hop up, they shoot virtually the same. The Marui's sights seem to be a little more accurate i.e. consistency of the two pistols is the same, but the HK3P's sights are a little off on my two. Had these for 2 years, good solid guns, approximately 2,000 rounds through 'em without a hiccough. Same as mentioned before...they're good guns, but nothing spectacular.

18.) KJW SIG Sauer P229: The P229 is extremely comfortable, and feels rock solid. Too bad that's where the good things end. The finish becomes super sheeny super fast, and the gun just plain doesn't work. Heavy slide + strong recoil spring + small magazine = cloud of gas and disappointment, like erectile dysfunction on prom night. It's a shame because the gun is a beauty, but just doesn't work :(  Had it for 3 years, is unreliable and had -all BB's through it as a result. Never gets an outing, because there's no reason to.

...I'm pretty tired, will add more later

11.) KSC/KWA Sig Pro SP2022: This gun['s] [...] hop up nub is a sphere...to contact another sphere...that's some clever engineering there. Gun is 3 years old, and doesn't get used...at all...because it sucks.

I've got one of these, and I agree it's a beautiful weapon with a horrible stock hop-up unit. However, the upgraded hop-up unit (complete with two rubbers and a lovely black tight-bore inner barrel) available from Volante on this very forum works wonders. I've got one in mine and it's a revelation. Once I repair the worn slide-lock lever, mine will be ready to do more sterling service.

TM TacMaster, purchased in 99, still works, the mag is still gastight, I still shoot it on occasion, I did add a new Guarder body kit a few years ago but the internals are all stock,

I maintain them if I use them, I only have one stock TM pistol for now, 13 full metal, one WA, one KWA and a Tanaka M29 :P

Last few posts are priceless!

[Loads of cool words go back to Page 2 to read all the reviews]

Ahhah I 100% agree with you on any of the pistols you mentioned that I have, especially the PPK and P229 .. the PPK I fell in love with when some one handed me one at the mall when I had ran to zero on ammo and the P229 makes me extremely sad because it feels lovely (and now that I have made it 2 tone, black / silver) it looks beautiful but ... it sucks on gas usage ability.

Ahhah I 100% agree with you on any of the pistols you mentioned that I have, especially the PPK and P229 .. the PPK I fell in love with when some one handed me one at the mall when I had ran to zero on ammo and the P229 makes me extremely sad because it feels lovely (and now that I have made it 2 tone, black / silver) it looks beautiful but ... it sucks on gas usage ability.

There will be a Co2 one soon - in the mean time the only option is to buy the KJW Co2 P226 E2 and port over the nozzle, recoil springs, and hammer spring. You have to deal with the offensive magazine bumper, but hey...at least it will function!

I've got fairly limited pistol experience but the KWA M226 PTP surprised me a little, I bought mine second hand for around half retail price and it looks like it has been used as a doorstop for most of its life and shown very little love.

While I do need to set aside a weekend to show it some real TLC it does still fire fairly well most of the time from the testing I've done which is amazing given the state of it.

There will be a Co2 one soon - in the mean time the only option is to buy the KJW Co2 P226 E2 and port over the nozzle, recoil springs, and hammer spring. You have to deal with the offensive magazine bumper, but hey...at least it will function!

No need to buy a complete P226, KJW sells parts via email and paypal. You just send them the part numbers from the manual (avaliable on their site) and they give you a price quote plus shipping.

I think only a reinforced BBU (and maybe stronger recoil spring) is really needed for CO2 with a full metal KJW. The hammer spring should be the same so the gun equally fires Green gas or CO2 without going over the limit FPS.

There is also a Wii-Tech P226 aluminium BBU for "Top Gas" that could work.

Offensively: TM Mk23 - nothing beats how silent this pistol is, and is my ideal choice for when I'm out sniping.  Only downside is that the hop unit is plastic and it is easy to round out the screw holes holding it in one piece.  Lasted me 3 years so far without any need for replacement parts.

General purpose secondary: TM Hicapa 4.3 - fast cycling slide, shoots straight as a laser and parts are easily accessible.  Ironic really considering I have yet to have any part of it fail on me.

"Oh *suitcase*!" button: TM Hicapa Xtreme - for those times when a rapid firing full auto burst is required to completely demoralise the opfor. Same, bulletproof performance as the 4.3 Hicapa.

Worst reliability award would have to go to my old WE Punisher.  Still makes me shudder thinking about it.

Thanks Inari, for your detailed write up on your pistol collection. I always love reading what other pistol lovers think of their toys.

I was surprised that your FN 5-7 is going so well, when most others all have the same self-destructing issues, which put me off buying one. After reading your post, I may just reconsider.

Just to be clear, I'm not disputing other peoples problems with this gun - it's just not the case with my particular unit. I do strongly suggest taking on board the criticism of this gun, but I wouldn't let that stop you getting it. On those exceptionally hot days (between Ireland and the UK we normally get 3 :D...this summer was an exception) I would recommend using 134a to get a little longer out of the gun. Mine's been run on green for its life, with no problems...but again, this argument is the equivalent of "I speed everywhere, it's fine cause I've never been caught" - no telling if/when it'll happen, but it's not exactly convincing.

The gun is exceptionally accurate, very nice to hold and shoot, and snappy recoil. Using 134a keeps it chugging along without issue, and the gas is not that much more expensive (here it is €9 for a 400ml bottle, same price as a 400ml bottle of green)

If you are worried about the 5-7 why not run it on Ultra for the most part of the year?

Gives a decent enough balance between Green and 144a (what is now 134a after there was something in 134a that governing bodies didn't like).

'FireKnife'

Archived