Pistol - cocked or not?

Hissing_Sid

Double actions, cocked with the hammer dropped

Single actions/internal hammer I have them cocked without a BB in the chamber. I quite often do double taps so I just get one BB, but I also know if anything happens worst that'll happen is a BB gets chambered and I can eject the mag, blow out the BB/ drop the hammer.

Alex "Col Sanders"

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ColSanders: Care to tell me how you can have a gun cocked with the hammer down at the same time? ;) Yeah I'm nitpicking. Of course you meant loaded with the hammer down.

I think the number one thing to do when you run out of ammo is to change the magazine. If you practice it it's as fast as the transition between a long arm and short one, and you won't lose the advantage of a longer range weapon.

Still though, I think jazzman had a good point about the immediate availability of the sidearm. If you use the weaker hand to control the long arm as you switch to a pistol, you only have one left to use the pistol. It's best to have it ready to rock with one hand at this point.

-Sale

Glocks: Cocked, ready to go.

USPc: De-cocked, ready to go.

Don't use any other pistols atm.

If you're relying on a pistol as your secondary weapon, there's very little reason NOT to have it ready to go when you need it. IOW a secondary, that you'll have to draw from the holster, make ready, and aim, all at the same time, is about as useful as a chocolate fire guard in the heat of the moment.

Our SOP at work defines that all (real) weapons are carried with an empty chamber and safety on (if applicable). I've noticed that US peacekeepers carry their M16's with the hammer cocked, because with the hammer down the selector won't go into safe position. I assume they also have an empty chamber.

actually they carry there firearms loaded with it on safety. (dont ask me how i know this :nosleep: )

I think the number one thing to do when you run out of ammo is to change the magazine. If you practice it it's as fast as the transition between a long arm and short one, and you won't lose the advantage of a longer range weapon.

Still though, I think jazzman had a good point about the immediate availability of the sidearm. If you use the weaker hand to control the long arm as you switch to a pistol, you only have one left to use the pistol. It's best to have it ready to rock with one hand at this point.

-Sale

yes. i agree. i have spent countless hours doing "dry" runs. the bast way to do so is the follows.

(takes two people)

have 1 guy stand behind you and be ready to call "jam" or "misfire".

act as if you are clearing your bedroom with your rifle.

at some point your friend should say JAm or misfire. you then have to switch between guns before he calls dead or shot. (counting 1 mississippi or 2 Mississippi works great here)

practise this over and over. before to long you should be come proficient.

If you dont have a holster/rig you can get your sidearm out of in a split second, its hardly worthwhile because your sidearm should be available for immediate reaction.   Several times my gun has run out of BBs so I switch to sidearm and those extra seconds I didnt waste was enough to get the baddie.

anyway thats my $.02

One thing there...

I love using my Marui Mk23 for sniping but it really gives me the heeby-jeebies when I see people wearing them on a thigh rig in a pukka SOCOM holster.

The damned thing has 3 seperate straps holding the gun in place and there's internal velcro which closes up and makes it hard to draw.

I bet nobody has ever successfully drawn a Mk23 while under fire. :D

I usually keep my DE ready to fire straight from the holster, because if im activly engaged in a heavy firefight (and its happend to me many a times) i would like to draw my pistol out and it being ready to shoot.

Also with the DE ive noticed that when i do rapid fire ive not ever lost accuracy with it and ive never had to re-align my sites with it at all.

Neither cocked or slide racked.

Firstly my 93r is electric and doesn't need cocking just unsafety'ing but anyway I never have them ready to shoot.

I simply never have to quickdraw them. I always get time to duck, cover and adjust. Perhaps its just me but I never have got in trouble and I play evey week (thereabouts) and pistol about 40% of the time.

My KWC Co2 DE is ssingle action only, so I rack the slide, then take out mag and decock.

However, I will keep it cocked when I exit the safety zone as it is a absolute *badgeress* to cock in a firefight, since the hammer spring is much harder than that of a TM HK DE.

Same with safety, too hard to unsafe it quick enough.

Pays off though, as I once got a reflex kill with it when someone jumped me from the right.

Four round burst to center mass (at naughty FPS), lots of YEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH involved.

I've not skirmished with my G18 yet, but will do the same (rack slide, put on safe).

Can you put a GLOCK 18 on safe? The fire selector doesn't have a safe setting as far as I know, and pulling out the front part of the trigger to prevent it being pulled isn't very easy to do and isn't reliable anyway.

keep KWC DE in holseter cocked with safty on, usuallly cock it in safe zone, eject mag add another bb into mag and re insert mag so i got a full mag and 1 in the chamber,

same witht he KWC m92f but that goes in a pouch and i need that witht he hammer back beczuse some times it catches on my radio puch and sprays some gas out.

One thing there...

I love using my Marui Mk23 for sniping but it really gives me the heeby-jeebies when I see people wearing them on a thigh rig in a pukka SOCOM holster.

The damned thing has 3 seperate straps holding the gun in place and there's internal velcro which closes up and makes it hard to draw.

I bet nobody has ever successfully drawn a Mk23 while under fire. :D

Three straps?

My Socom thigh rig has the one velcro thumbreak, and I can transition to my SOCOM faster in a firefight than I can to my glocks because can just yank the thing and the velcro gives, unlike the popper thumb breaks on the milspex ambi's.

When you say 'Pukka', do you mean real steel?

I carry my socom with a round chamered and the safty on, and my glocks with a round chambered.

G27 loaded and cocked (also holstered in the vest, clip undone but zipped-up)

HFC M9-alike (CQB only) loaded bu not cocked - it's double-action and the safety is fiddly)

KJW Para (ditto, alternative to HFC), cocked and loaded, (non-fiddly) safety applied.

Mk.23 - will decide once I've fixed the damned leaky mag.

Mauser M712 - double action, so probably as per other HFC. Depends if I'll ever find a holster to fit it (unlikely, although I might do something strange and unnatural to a shoulder holster :unsure: )

I carry my glock with the "trigger safety" , so its obviously cocked and i keep a beeb in the chamber. I do this because i rarely ever draw it. And when i do i normally end up capping myself in the foot anyway...so its better that i don't use it.

What is weird is that on re-entering the safe zone after a game, i noticed that few people clear their pistols. If theyre carrying their rifle out and their pistol in a holster, they normally NSP their rifle and then just enter the safe zone with their pistol still hot.

Weird.

Can you put a GLOCK 18 on safe? The fire selector doesn't have a safe setting as far as I know, and pulling out the front part of the trigger to prevent it being pulled isn't very easy to do and isn't reliable anyway.

Yeah. With a G18 you can set the fire selector to the centre position which should stop it shooting. This is a bit hit-and-miss though. If the gun s already cocked it WILL fire even if the fire-selector is set to the middle postion.

I forget exactly how it works.

TBH, I stopped using it as a "safety" once I realised that doing it would vastly increase the chances of the fire-selector falling off.

Three straps?

When you say 'Pukka', do you mean real steel?

I carry my socom with a round chamered and the safty on, and my glocks with a round chambered.

Yep. My Mk23 holster has a thumb-break AND another strap which goes around the underneath of the rear part of the gun. Besides that there is also a strap over the bottom part of the holster which goes over the back of the LAM.

To be fair you can release the other 2 straps and secure them so you just need to pop the thumb-break when drawing the gun but I find that just physically extracting the gun from the holster isn't the easiest thing to do.

Yeah. With a G18 you can set the fire selector to the centre position which should stop it shooting. This is a bit hit-and-miss though. If the gun s already cocked it WILL fire even if the fire-selector is set to the middle postion.
That sounds like bad design then, as I've never been able to reliably move the fire selector to a different position unless the slide is locked back, which will obviously cock the gun when it is released.

Oh well, hehe.

TBH, I stopped using it as a "safety" once I realised that doing it would vastly increase the chances of the fire-selector falling off.
Yeah, I have noticed that it seems to be a bit wobbly when in the centre position.
What is weird is that on re-entering the safe zone after a game, i noticed that few people clear their pistols. If theyre carrying their rifle out and their pistol in a holster, they normally NSP their rifle and then just enter the safe zone with their pistol still hot.

True.. although, if you're talking about GBBs, this involves dropping the mag rather than clearing it (as "in out of the pistol" although, like many people. I've dropped the mag for real, somewhere on the site :rolleyes: )

Must admit that I don't tend to unload, unless I'm going to either remove the holster or undo the lock on the thumbreak (the holsters I use for skirmishing all have covered triggers, a thumb-break/similar, and a velcro lock on the thumb-break).

If I'm going to be touching the pistol in any way, then I'll drop the mag. That seems to be the norm, at least at Combat South.

Always transported with the mags out and secured away from the pistol.

Archived