Armalite Picture Thread

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn PEQs. They seem to have infested the current stock pile of M16A4s in the hands of Marines in Iraq...

Marine_M16A4_Gharma.jpg

Damn PEQs. They seem to have infested the current stock pile of M16A4s in the hands of Marines in Iraq...

Okay, about the 'spacer' I was talking about...

There's an empty space between the rear of the gearbox and the rear wall of the lower receiver. If hey were tightly fit against each other, you'd never be able to get the gearbox out.

However, this also means that if you overtighten the stock screw (it goes into the spring guide in the gearbox), you will bend the back section of the lower receiver in (the stock tube will be pointing up...), and you can even break it.

I don't know about your gun, but CA's have a threaded brass spacer tube in there, that you tighten against the gearbox before installing and tightening the stock, so that no stress is put on the receiver.

It looks to me as if you're missing your spacer (whatever it looks like in G&G guns), or it's not tightened(again, if that's how it works in G&G), or.... or it's just your camera lens that produced a nasty distortion, but I doubt it - the difference between theupper receiver and the buffer/stock tube angle is just too sudden and there's no such distortion on the barrel. To me, the whole stock tube is obviously pointing up.

I'd say inspect it, see if the stock straightens up when you untighten its screw a litle bit. If it does, you'll know it's a spacer problem. I'm just worried about your gun...

"if it aint broke why fix it". I dont see anything wrong with the poster's aeg, and it wouldn't be prudent to try and diagnose problems from a picture especially when the poster hasn't had any problems with his aeg.

FYI, g&g gr16s dont use a "threaded brass spacer tube"

"if it aint broke why fix it". I dont see anything wrong with the poster's aeg, and it wouldn't be prudent to try and diagnose problems from a picture especially when the poster hasn't had any problems with his aeg. 

FYI, g&g gr16s dont use a "threaded brass spacer tube"

Look, I was just trying to help, based on my own experience.

FYI, in real steel AR-15s the stock tube houses the buffer spring for the bolt carrier and it absolutely, positively has to be in axis with the barrel and the receiver. Airsoft replicas are designe to match that closely.

FYI, the stock tube on the photo is clearly not in axis with the receiver and the barrel, which, IMHO, indicates a potential serious problem (wanna see photos of lower receiver rear ends snapped off?) and wanted to warn him just in case.

And it doesn't matter one bit whether G&G has, or has not, a brass spacer tube. It could have a spacer made of platinium or just as well a piece of a dirty oily rag they squeeze in there in the factory, for all I care. I do know from experience, though (several custom guns built both for myself and by order, and a dozen serviced), that there has to be SOMETHING that prevents the 'tail' of the lower receiver being squeezed and bent inwards when the stock screw is tightened.

I'm not being mean here, damn it, I'm trying to help in good faith. I don't know about you, but I firmly believe it's better to warn and be wrong, rather than shut up and then see someone's expensive AEG break. And I certainly do hope I'm wrong.

Clear?

Edited by jonboy2312
Look, I was just trying to help, based on my own experience.

FYI, in real steel AR-15s the stock tube houses the buffer spring for the bolt carrier and it absolutely, positively has to be in axis with the barrel and the receiver. Airsoft replicas are designe to match that closely.

FYI, the stock tube on the photo is clearly not in axis with the receiver and the barrel, which, IMHO, indicates a potential serious problem (wanna see photos of lower receiver rear ends snapped off?) and wanted to warn him just in case.

And it doesn't matter one bit whether G&G has, or has not, a brass spacer tube. It could have a spacer made of platinium or just as well a piece of a dirty oily rag they squeeze in there in the factory, for all I care. I do know from experience, though (several custom guns built both for myself and by order, and a dozen serviced), that there has to be SOMETHING that prevents the 'tail' of the lower receiver being squeezed and bent inwards when the stock screw is tightened.

I'm not being mean here, damn it, I'm trying to help in good faith.

The picture looks fine to me. I see no angle from the buffer tube and the outer barrel. The original poster already stated there is nothing wrong with his aeg, yet you insist that it is. I know what you are trying to say "if there is an angle, caused by the stock screw going in crooked, will put tension on the spring guide, causing the gearbox to misalign? I'm pretty sure that is what you mean. However, i'm telling you that is not the case, because G&Gs are different, and the gearbox can never be misaligned via the rear buffer tube screw because there is no "spacer tube" thing. It uses an adaptor that works unlike any other manufacture out there, but you probably knew that right.

Btw, you may have built numerous custom guns, and so have I, but I also OWN a gr16 carbine. I'll do you one better, here is a pic.

IMG_1399.jpg

Now you wonder what that piece is for? G&G mbk's that come on the GR16 come with a removable buffer tube extension (which that is a pic of) that rests against the back of the gearbox. As you screw in this piece, it puts pressure on the gearbox, and aligns the gearbox. So because of this, there is no way, his aeg's gearbox is misaligned because of his buffertube spacer thingy you are talking about, because he doesn't have one.

Edited by mrblah
The picture looks fine to me. I see no angle from the buffer tube and the outer barrel.

It becomes quite obvious in full size.

picture025or5.jpg

I'm an architect, I know misaligned axes when I see them. I'm also a photographer, I know lens distortion when I see it.

No further comment.

because G&Gs are different, and the gearbox can never be misaligned via the rear buffer tube screw because there is no "spacer tube" thing. It uses an adaptor that works unlike any other manufacture out there, but you probably knew that right.

As I said previously - there has to be something in the design, no matter how different it is, that prevents the rear of the lower receiver being bent in under tension. No matter if it is a spacer tube, a piece of rubber, or a complex stock adapter assembly. Thus, either there really is something wrong with this particular specimen, or the G&G stock adapter assembly simply sucks, which I can't believe, taking the overall excellent quality of the gun into consideration.

BTW, FYI, a gearbox in a CA or TM can not be misaligned by the stock screw either - the only thing seriously affected woulc be the spring guide.

Btw, you may have built numerous custom guns, and  so have I, but I also OWN a gr16 carbine.

So? Like I said, it doesn't matter if it's a spacer or a totally different design. AR-15 receivers are AR-15 receivers. Something, spacer or 'removable buffer tube extension', or simply a thicker cast rear wall or even little gnomes have to prevent the back section of the lower receiver (together with the whole stock assembly) from bending inwards, which puts stress on the lower receiver. No matter how you dislike this, a bending stock assembly = pressure on the receiver = possible cracking. I've been there.

So because of this, there is no way, his aeg's gearbox is misaligned because of his buffertube spacer thingy you are talking about, because he doesn't have one.

I was talking about he RECEIVER, not the gearbox. It has nothing to do with gearbox alignment. Understand what you read before replying. And for the third time, it doesn't matter if it's a 'spacer thingy' or something else. I see a bending stock tube, which might also be bending/breaking the receiver, as I've seen in other AR-15s of different brands. Ff it doesn't, and all G&G stocks look like that, then... :shrug:

I made a simple observation, trying to be helpful according to my experience. Let Ghost_x3 decide whether this is a problem or not, it's his particular rifle, not yours.

Do you hate the idea of any example of 'your brand' AEG having a potential problem that much? It's not your rifle, let him see for himself, instead of attacking me from the very start. If I'm wrong, all's fine and everyone will be happy.

Edited by jonboy2312

So by judging that pic, the green line is to show how bent out of shape his aeg is, and the red line is suppose to be the "truer" line. I just don't see how you can jump to that conclusion that his aeg is bent out of shape (indicated with your green line), when he still has his stock on. With the LE stock on, you cant tell where the center of his buffer tube is, and even if you could, you would have to assume the LE stock itself is a perfectly straight line (I highly doubt). For my "untrained eye", I see his aeg follows your red line to the tee.

Anyway, there is no sense in arguing this any further since we are speculating, because NEITHER of us actually have his aeg in our hands, and until then its pure speculation and conjecture.

Edited by mrblah
So by judging that pic, the green line is to show how bent out of shape his aeg is, and the red line is suppose to be the "truer" line.

The red line is the axis of the barrel and the receiver, the green line is the axis of the buffer tube.

Anyway, there is no sense in arguing this any further

Precisely.

It was a big OT, and we never even mentioned the most important hing: that it's one fine carbine there. Generally, I prefer full sized M16 rifles kept simple, and generally dislike tricked out M4s - dozens of kinds of RIS kits, dozens of kinds of stocks, dozens of kinds of scopes, and in the end they all look pretty much the same to me :)

This one, however, seems just right. A no-nonsense, to-the-point M4 carbine with a logical aimpoint/backup sight combo. Looks nice and means business :)

Edited by jonboy2312