Aug Picture Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I'm guessing the general consensus here is that the King Arms mags suck huh? Pity. I'm looking to load up on mags and they seemed like just the ticket.

Maybe the BE standards? I know I can get them for about $5 a pop, so its hardly much of a risk...

Edited by EmptyChambers

Missed a spot on the safety...

:P

Sorry, just felt I had to nitpick! Rather like the tan on AUG's... I must get another lower receiver and paint it tan! ;)

So what are you planning to make it not *suitcase* on the inside?

EDIT: suitcase??? rofl, seriously... that's a new one on me

Edited by Treadhead
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e24/Av3rag3/aug006.jpg

I've address those small minor detail problems and this is what I got. I couldn't get the sling point on the back end because i didnt know how to remove it. I added a cheap red dot scope for fun. I hope to work on the internals soon...

Looks pretty nice. I've replied to your PM about the AUG, but I'll put a few words here, which might benefit others. Given how much of the internals, I think you'd probably be better off getting a JG (I hear they're pretty good) and cannibalising the BE you've got for parts, maybe converting the barrel to a short CQB or long H-Bar support weapon.

Feel free to check out the Steyr AUG FAQ and Helpdesk thread for more advice and tips.

And most of all, welcome to the kingdom of AUG. :D

Was wondering if anyone could give me a hand here. Probably hedganian as I know he's got all the parts, but anyone will do.

Basically I decided that simple is best. I'm going to be cutting down the full length barrel about an inch or so behind the threads, and permenantly affixing it into the gas tube. This will give me something close to the AUG P varient. From there, I figure easier than buying entirely new barrel assemblies, I'll just custom make some outer barrels to thread on in the same fashion as the G36s. I don't think it'll cause any problems.

What I'm needing are the dimensions of the outer PAST the gas block. How far it goes and such. From there I'll just chop up a spare AUG barrel and have a carbine length, or the 20". This seems like the most affordable option, even if it would end up being largely cosmetic. It'll do until I have enough to buy multiple barrel assemblies anyways.

Hang on - you're going to do what? :blink:

How are you going to affix whatever part you chop off to the gas block?? Surely you'd be better off buying one of these - a 14mm negative thread that replaces the outer barrel and allows any flash excluder, silencer or anything else with a 14mm negative thread to be put in its place...?

Wouldn't the AUG Helpdesk thread over in Technical Discussion have been a better place to ask this?

Well the adapters have dried up completely in the States for starters. Its a bit of a pain but no one I've called has them. Well they have the First Factory Abomination but it looks horrible, and has positive threading on it.

To clarify. I know that the original barrel and the replacement adapters neck down, are inserted into the gas block, and a screw is attached to keep them there. My plan is to cut this necked down portion about in half like so.

aug.jpg

At this point, there will be empty space in the gas block itself. I then will cut the outer barrel at the other end, about an inch or so behind the actual threads,(or enough that the threading sticks directly out the gas block), and insert this short piece. Epoxy, weld, what have you to the inside of the gas block, and to the cut necked down barrel, and I'll have an inelegant if functional adapter.

From there just need to construct the suitable outers to simply screw onto the threading for the different barrel lengths. Its not the cleanest way to do it, but it'll save the need to buy multiple barrel assemblies(hopup, foregrip etc) to have different length guns.

As for the lengths, yes I suppose you are right. I know both the inner and outer barrel lengths total, but I wasn't sure how much of that would be internal and what would stick out.

I think I've got a better idea of what you're planning to do now.

Have you tried the HK retailers for the adaptor? I still think it would be a better option.

I suppose you'd like me to get my tape out and go measure all the barrel options?

It's a hard life, being the first port of call for anyone's AUG-related questions.... :rolleyes:;)

Okay, from the back of the (correctly fitted) flash excluder to the front of the foregrip/gas block, the barrels are:

H-Bar 29cm

Standard A1 15cm

Carbine 7.5cm

Commando 0cm

Edited by Hedganian
I think I've got a better idea of what you're planning to do now.

Have you tried the HK retailers for the adaptor? I still think it would be a better option.

I suppose you'd like me to get my tape out and go measure all the barrel options?

It's a hard life, being the first port of call for anyone's AUG-related questions.... :rolleyes:;)

Heh. If its not too much trouble, I'd really appreciate it. I'm sure I could do it without it if I measured out the barrel inside the gun and such, but a fixed number would be nicer than my eyeballing it and hoping its about right.

Some places have the adapter, and honestly, its a little steep for what it is. Evike had them for $20 which I thought was reasonable, but when its going to cost me like $50 total, I'm willing to try a diy fix first. I've got a spare outer barrel that I can mess around with, so its not like if I screw up I'm out of a gun.

Interesting idea, but what are you going to do about the inner barrel? Unless you plan on changing out the inner barrel with each outer, you're either have to go with the least common denominator and wind up with a short inner barrel in a potentially much longer outer, or live with a couple of inches of inner barrel sticking out beyond shorter barrels...

I prefer the Commando and Carbine length varients. For that a 363mm barrel won't matter much. If I do decide that I want a full length at any time, it honestly makes more sense to buy a whole new rifle simply for the parts. A JG AUG can be had for under $100 now, and a new hopup, barrel and such would cost well over that.

• 2 weeks later...
hey guys, if any of you have a 9.6 battery inside the stock, how did you modify the internals?

I didn't! I went the easy option and modified the battery.

I got a 9.6v mini pack

Broke off the bottom 2 cells.

folded them over and epxoyed them to the bottom of the main pack (broken connections facing downwards)

soldered connecting wires between the main pack and the 2 cells i folded over.

covered in some heat-shrink.

job done!

Fits nicely and gives me that "little bit extra" while allowing the gun to remain unmolested.

(i wonder if i've got a pic anywhere?) In the spirit of the thread, I'll try and get one tonight!

• 2 weeks later...