• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That picture is a perfect example of how the Guarder kits will weather. As evident in the picture, the gas blocks, gas tubes and barrels of those weapons have probably been blued and have since lost the finish due to mechanical stress, in other words rubbing against clothes, etc. Only steel will have a dull sheen like that, aluminum and especially Marui's zink-aluminum alloy will likely anodize to a dark grey finish

At least look at pics of real AKs to make it looks realistic.</RANT>

first of all - chill out dude. my comment on the 'guarder boys' was simply a tongue in cheek comment. when looking for pics of beaten AK's, i couldnt find a SINGLE one that had been done on a guarder kit. not one.

secondly, how many times do i have to say it - i saw REAL AK's in Egypt. up VERY close. they looked WORSE than mine. so sayignmine is unrealistic is a bit silly.

but i dont care anymore. some people like it, some dont. some would do it to theirs, some daren't. its their gun.

Screamin_weasel, oh no, don't get me wrong, I quite like your AK. Looks almost as good as a non-steel AK can. Nice job! Just needs a bit more dark bits on the wood to get rid of the toyish look of the KA wood parts.

The gunrunner, One of the reasons why I got mine as well. I "had to" handle a Finnish RK62 for a year and quite frankly got tired of plastic or aluminum AKs. That's the other reason. I like to be able to toss my gun on the floor if needed without having to fear it breaking.

when looking for pics of beaten AK's, i couldnt find a SINGLE one that had been done on a guarder kit. not one.

but i dont care anymore. some people like it, some dont. some would do it to theirs, some daren't. its their gun.

your wish is my command :) the only trouble (as usual) is its damn difficult to photograph it without it either looking not far off normal or far shinier than it really is. in reality its a dark cloudy grey in its most weathered places a sort of patina over the steel

guarder.jpg

guarder3.jpg

guarder2.jpg

guarder5.jpg

Most 74s follow russian finishes (flat black over a black phosphate packer ground coat) but with 47's manufactured almost everywhere there tons of variations on original finish due to local capabilities/cost concerns (from russian black packer thru to blued steel) As the finishes are diferent that in turn will result in different wear patterns, so you can find a whole host of different wear patterns on 47s.

stevie

thats cool dude.

the steel defo makes a difference. mine is quite extreme,but your looks as odl as ti may well be, whereas mine is blatantly not as old as it looks. im hoping, like rizzo said, the magnesium of my reciever will dull with age and use.

<RANT>I'm not scratching up my Guarder kits. Why? Because they weather EXACTLY like the real AK would. The receiver is blued, so in time it will polish up and get small scratches, etc. Real worn AKs don't look like they've been attacked with sand paper or a file either, and thus I don't want my Guarder kits looking like it either. If one does choose to weather their AK with sand paper, etc. At least look at pics of real AKs to make it looks realistic.</RANT>

However, for metal receivers like G&P, etc. that are painted and not blued or parkerized like the real ones, sanding them is pretty much the only way to achieve a somewhat realistic weathered look if you don't want to drag your rifle to hell and back to scratch it up. An AK should be scratched, etc.

I like how Screamin_weasel too the plunge to weather his. The KA and G&P wood kits look stupidly red and cheap if not weathered at all.

Don't get me wrong though. I don't want to dish anyone with a non-Guarder wood/metal AK. I'm just saying how I, myself, feel about my AKs :)

Here is an excellent link for anyone looking to weather their AK:

http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/proindex.html

Your not scratching up you Guarder AKM kit because it cost you 800$, i scratched up mine, because it cost me 7.50 at Checker Auto...

Silent - I went with soft spongy wet n dry sanding blocks (the really fine grit ones) and a little bit of oil

got a mate who can packerize it and respray it so I just went for it while I had it knocked together on a dry build (was going to add the serial numbers and flatten some of the domed rivets etc - so finish was going to get redone anyway)

BUT I ended up quite liking the effect, so I'll probably just leave it as is

cheats way of getting a weathered AK but I didnt fancy twenty years of carrying it around to acheive it naturally - first day out doing the shopping with it on my shoulder Id probably have been slotted by SO19 anyways ;)

SW- dirty greasy hands and plenty of handling can help - strip a bike engine and then stick your mucky paws all over the alloy get it right into the grain and then clean it all off (that sort of gunky ###### always made the polished alloy parts on my bikes dull down quicker lol)

stevie

There's a hexagonal brass tube in the upper handguard, so you will need to move it foward so it attaches to the front sight properly, or your front end will wobble like crazy. You also need to reposition the stock outer barrel further forward and drill a new hole for the locking plate on the outer barrel.

A rather simple project.