• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

post-21681-0-41064700-1329544329_thumb.jpg

it works! :D

Gonna try making a cable that connects both pins of the icom PTT into one 4-pole 3.5mm pin so I can talk on my iPhone through the Sordin.

Oh, by the way, got another PTT for PRC 148 and had it on my Toy Soldier Dummy PRC152 with impedance matcher for Motorola FRS ( Talkabout ), works really well, not pictured though.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys, I was hopIng I could get an opinion or two. I am purchasing a new radio for an OP coming up and have the chance to get either a Motorola HT1000 or Icom F4s-4 for around the same price. Is there one that is blatantly "better" than the other? They both seem to be popular choices here. Also, the Motorola is the 403-470 MHz version. Will this be compatible with standard Talkabout models?

Thanks a lot.

To the dude above, Give Icom a try. From experience, (i'm a radio salesman) Icoms are slightly more durable than the HT 1000's However if the place you are going to is more than 500 acres in size I would go with the HT 1000's since their range might be a little bit further.

This is my Standard com gear.

IMAG0438.jpg

Peltor Tactical Plus Headset (It eliminates loud noises and amplifies quiet noises)

Peltor PTT

Motorola MTS radio UHF (I have three more of this model aswell)

Motorola Lapel mic.

Garmin Rhino 120 GPS FRS (so I can communicate with everyone else who has an FRS radio)

Old Blackberry (why?) Because the Peltor headset syncs to blue tooth, also some events require pictures of things to be taken and sent to an event runner to gain points. Also I like talking to my friends while pew pew'n. Also its old and if it gets ruined I could care less. Just switch out the sim card.

IMAG0416.jpg

6 MTS 2000 Radios. For the rest of the team. With an Impress rack charger.

For a more permanent communications solution.

Swedish M-37 Field phones.

5 of them.

Obviously these appear for ww2 games. They have the ability to do morse code also.

DSC08537.jpg

DSC08502.jpg

Edited by cdi

Hey guys, I was hopIng I could get an opinion or two. I am purchasing a new radio for an OP coming up and have the chance to get either a Motorola HT1000 or Icom F4s-4 for around the same price. Is there one that is blatantly "better" than the other? They both seem to be popular choices here. Also, the Motorola is the 403-470 MHz version. Will this be compatible with standard Talkabout models?

Thanks a lot.

I personally run Motorola MTS2000's and am a Motorola Fanboy. That said, the HT1000 is limited to 16 channels, is larger and heavier than the Icom F4s, and in my experience the connectors tend to be more expensive for the Jedi-series radios. I'd probably take a look at the Icom, and have it programmed with the FRS/GMRS channels as well as some of the more "standard" commercial channels.

Regardless of which radio you choose, it needs to run on the 460mhz range to be programmable to FRS/GMRS channels.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone make any recommendations on mods to do to the Z Tactical Comtac IIs to make them more reliable, sound better, and more durable? I was going to swap out the main cable (headset to PTT cable) with a Monster type cable and resolder the connection points, but I'm looking for other options for DIY improvements.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...