So "tactical" that it's silly

crunkathon2k

Does anyone think it is silly when people trudge through mud and rivers just to be "tactical?" Personally, I would rather get shot than get my gear wet, risk damaging my guns, etc. Pretending that you're a Navy Seal is cool and all, but I think some people take it a bit too far.

Don't get me wrong, some stuff has a lot of practicality. Going prone, using headsets, and advancing in formation seems unnecessarily complex but can make a huge difference on the field. However, you can become totally impractical by taking a swim when you could have walked, painting your face when a balaclava would do, and eating MREs when you could have ordered a burger beforehand.

Who's with me?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone think it is silly when people trudge through mud and rivers just to be "tactical?" Personally, I would rather get shot than get my gear wet, risk damaging my guns, etc.

Oh teh noes. My systema / weesatch / safariland / uber 1337 real deeyul kit am wet!

<_<

If you dont want you gear wet / muddy then you belong on the catwalk. Not an airsoft field.

Edit: So I dont sound like a total pr1ck...i agree on the unecessary swims etc, just to look 1337.

I'm very confused, at where you seem to draw the line between fine and too far. As part of my Duke of Edinburgh award scheme I was made to walk through rivers, and eating boil in a bag ration packs was a perfectly good meal, lightweight and full of calories. I've no qualms about walking through a river for fun. It's just not a worry to me. Spending £150 on a radio and headset on the other hand, seems a bit strange. It's only a game, not a military exorcise. I guess we all have different lines. Your post seems to be bordering on malicious. An Internet forum, full of people who live and breathe airsoft, might not be the best place to ask people if they think they've taken it too far.

Im not with you one bit, you sound disapointing to play with. Theres nothing that makes me want to regurgitate my beans and sausage more than hearing the (fashion queen man?) in front of me saying 'Now how on earth are we supposed to get across that (muddy puddle, 3 foot wall, thicket, tree. To me the game is the kill, the clothes and toys just incidentals to be used and cleaned. You can so get the upper hand by crossing through rivers and ditches.

Does anyone think it is silly when people trudge through mud and rivers just to be "tactical?" Personally, I would rather get shot than get my gear wet, risk damaging my guns, etc. Pretending that you're a Navy Seal is cool and all, but I think some people take it a bit too far.

By using your line of reasoning i can equally say that this ''tactical'' gear that you're worried about getting muddy can, itself be said to be useless in some (most) cases.

Don't get me wrong, some stuff has a lot of practicality. Going prone, using headsets, and advancing in formation seems unnecessarily complex but can make a huge difference on the field. However, you can become totally impractical by taking a swim when you could have walked, painting your face when a balaclava would do, and eating MREs when you could have ordered a burger beforehand.

Who's with me?

Thankfully this sport allows everyone to play in thier own style, however they want. If you find this unreasonable, I suggest you find a hobby with more rigid rules.

It sounded to me that the OP was alluding to people who go out of their way to look tacticool. I have seen this before and don't understand it, so I agree with him. Six perfectly reasonable access points to the objective yet they decide to go a seventh path that takes longer, goes right through the enemy, gives me away in the process, but is more manly looking. Luckily I haven't seen one of those guys in a while!

In the defense of rivers and streams, I tend to use them a lot actually. People don't expect you to be in a river, and once you are inside nobody can hear you move (which is the #1 reason I do it). It is, however, slower, and while the sound of the water masks any splashes you make, it also means you don't hear as much. I use it, but never to look cool (especially if there is an alternative route that accomplishes the same thing while keeping my dry).

Normally i find people jumb into the bog/marsh/river/cesspit to play the fool more than to be tacticool. I'm not adverse to getting a bit wet or muddy and i'll normally go for a paddle if it saves a 15min walk or provides me with an advantage (no-one ever expects the sniper in the river hmmm raft-by sniping)

It sounded to me that the OP was alluding to people who go out of their way to look tacticool. I have seen this before and don't understand it, so I agree with him. Six perfectly reasonable access points to the objective yet they decide to go a seventh path that takes longer, goes right through the enemy, gives me away in the process, but is more manly looking. Luckily I haven't seen one of those guys in a while!

In the defense of rivers and streams, I tend to use them a lot actually. People don't expect you to be in a river, and once you are inside nobody can hear you move (which is the #1 reason I do it). It is, however, slower, and while the sound of the water masks any splashes you make, it also means you don't hear as much. I use it, but never to look cool (especially if there is an alternative route that accomplishes the same thing while keeping my dry).

That is some true stuff you speak!

If it's advantageous do it. If it's not necessary, don't.

I've done it because its the best way to the objective. As far as getting it dirty or wet, who cares. That's what gear is for. Guns will fire when wet. Just clean em out later.

Gear isn't magic. It won't melt when wet. Guns will continue to work even if used in a down pour. I can understand it being dumb because it could be a worse route but not taking it because it might dirty your stuff...

There are people who will go through anything if it gives them an advantage. With that mindset, they wouldn't do it unnecessarily either. They are in for the game and push the boundaries a bit further. A more casual player may not feel comfortable playing with this kind of players, at least in the same squad.

Then there are the players who choose the more difficult path just to "look tacticool". They do it to amuse themselves and have a memorable game experience. I know people who do this and have a good laugh about it afterwards. Actually I'm into crazy and unnecessary stunts in the field myself: One time I rappeled out of a window to get to a lower floor just for the sake of doing so.

I'm sure either "class" would agree that it's a bit silly what they do, but very rightfully ask you if it's really necessary for others to point it out.

A memorable conversation from a game we played a few hours after some rain had fallen:

Leader: "You'll need to go prone here and watch that direction for the OPFOR."

Player: *feeling the moss with his hand, after taking off his glove* "But... It's wet!"

-Sale

How hard is it to clean the gear afterwards?

Doing crazy stuff is fun, because airsoft isn't all about being competitive and having rigid rules. That's what paintball is for. However, I would never want to get mud/dirt/water/grit in my gear or guns because I paid a lot of money for them and spent a lot of time tweaking them.

ah yeah, the same social rules apply to airsoft game as they apply to everything else:

1. do stuff cos its necessary. = ok.

2. do stuff cos its fun = ok.

3. do stupid stuff cos its fun = usually ok.

4. do stupid stuff to take the ###### = ok.

5. do stuff just to look cool = not cool.

6. do stupid stuff just to look cool = way not cool.

ah yeah, the same social rules apply to airsoft game as they apply to everything else:

1. do stuff cos its necessary. = ok.

2. do stuff cos its fun = ok.

3. do stupid stuff cos its fun = usually ok.

4. do stupid stuff to take the ###### = ok.

5. do stuff just to look cool = not cool.

6. do stupid stuff just to look cool = way not cool.

He speaks the truth!

if it is necessary and/or useful, then do it!

OP: if you dont want to get all muddy, then dont. i understand that man, its your gear. i dont want to get my stuff all wet for no reason either!

but you can be damned sure that if it will save my hide or aid in completing the mission, ill do it without hesitation.

MREs are very useful man. they have unbelieveable high amounts of calories and other fuels that give you energy and keep you going. eating a burger before a game isnt very ideal.

think about things. most of the time they have a purpose, and most of the time it is advantageous.

-Joe

if it is necessary and/or useful, then do it!

OP: if you dont want to get all muddy, then dont. i understand that man, its your gear. i dont want to get my stuff all wet for no reason either!

but you can be damned sure that if it will save my hide or aid in completing the mission, ill do it without hesitation.

MREs are very useful man. they have unbelieveable high amounts of calories and other fuels that give you energy and keep you going. eating a burger before a game isnt very ideal.

think about things. most of the time they have a purpose, and most of the time it is advantageous.

-Joe

+1 on the MRE's... they are cheap, provide you with lots of energy (They are not that high in calorie content... I think the spegetti one topped at 500 calories with all of the little stuff and the milk shake) and are decently edible. The milk shakes are kinda disgusting, but it would help if I actually did it the right way in the pre measured sealable bag :P Ohh well!

As for the gear, however you want to play man. I personaly dont mind walking through creeks that have a couple of inches of water. Especially if it means gaining the upper edge in the battle.

If I was worried about getting muddy/wet/dirty I would play paintball. .

I do what I have to do. If that means I have to cross a creek and get a little water in my boots, so be it. I've been in worse situations in training, where I wasn't doing it for fun, and it had possible real-world applications. I don't dive in a lake, but I'll wait knee-deep in muddy water for a great ambush on an approaching squad. I try to use real gear as much as I can, stuff that's built for this.

If you're doing it to 'look cool' chances are the enemy can see it too, which means you'll get shot. Airsoft is not a spectator sport.

I also try to keep the perspective that there are people who have to get dirty to survive situations we are simulating.

On MREs. I like them, they taste good, last me all day, add to the realism, etc. I use them for larger Ops. For weekend skirmishes, Lunchables are just fine for me, but I don't look down on anyone who busts them out for the small Sunday game.

What is the point in buying expensive kit designed to take such abuse and survive a bit of mud if you are too scared to get it a bit dirty? If it gives me an advantage, I would happily wade through a stream or crawl through mud and thorns. If it doesn't give me a good enough advantage, I will stick to more conventional paths.

Going prone, ...seems unnecessarily complex ...

Only for fat people. I'm all up for getting nasty with the mud, and walking through rivers and streams etc often gives you the upper hand, cos they aren't expecting it. Plus yes, you look awesome doing it :D

I have been guilty of using a window to gain access/exit a building when there`s been a door available a reasonably close distance away, but at nearly 40 there are very few legitamit reasons to use a window, so I feel I should do so when the opportunity arises :D ( Also crawling through undergrowth/cover to shoot the enemy in the ankles at close range is extremely funny). But why do people feel the need to rack the charging handle(or whatever its called) on an AEG? That is peculiar!

However, I would never want to get mud/dirt/water/grit in my gear or guns because I paid a lot of money for them and spent a lot of time tweaking them.

Rule number 1 before buying guns/gear etc etc... Will it take a beating in the field, get covered in ###### and still work well? Unless the answer is yes, the I'm not spending any money on it, never mind "a lot"...

Sometimes it's necessary to crawl 50m through the muddy ditch to get a good position and if my rare and expensive kit gets dirty in the process, well so be it... That's what it was designed for after all... I didn't buy it to hang in the wardrobe...

What's the point in shooting an airsoft gun anyway? I mean, come on, you can strip a piston or worse. I also like to use a c-mag and keep my magazines empty and permanently in my rig so the rig doesn't wear out from magazine changes. :mellow:

Sure, let everyone play like they want but don't force me to like it. There are just too many poser uber-tacticool people that go "yew" and sometimes even go home after a drop of water falls from the sky.

Archived