Navy SEAL Discussion/Pictures

fr00b

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pforcerecon, nah man it doesn't really..but I won't lie I don't do alot of running and then dropping into the prone in a truck or on a boat..LOL. But when I did the ground stuff it was fine. Didn't really notice it....well one time getting down from the MRAP it smaked me in the nuts...that was unpleasent. But over all not bad at all...and easy to grab when needed.

Got MOD sniped...wasn't trying to start *suitcase*. Anyway if you are all intrested in this..Somalia SEALS 1991 ish

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd143/geardoairsoftmag/somalia6a6smec286uvqiq7.jpg[/img

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd143/geardoairsoftmag/somalia2jb2i5qlpbaqodc8.jpg[/img

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd143/geardoairsoftmag/somalia1ocsjrr6kiw13xo5.jpg[/img

@ Billy Bob, if that Kydex is the Normal one it won't attack to anything but a belt unless you hack it apart and then bolt it to a SERPA or Safariland Holster. Trust me I have had a few issued and trashed the Kydex sheath. I would reccomend an aftermarket sheath man.

Thanks for those pics, Navy. Also, lolz @ you strapping a knife to your cockflap.

Here is a question...do any of you guys that wear that firehouse patch even know why in the hell LT. Murphy had that patch to begin with? You will notice that it wasn't on everyone on his team. You guys do understand that that is NOT a SEAL team patch right? And in essence are trying to look like LT. Murphy and not a random SEAL. Just a curious question...ohh.and if you say no to the first question...maybe you might wanna look it up.

Here is a question...do any of you guys that wear that firehouse patch even know why in the hell LT. Murphy had that patch to begin with? You will notice that it wasn't on everyone on his team. You guys do understand that that is NOT a SEAL team patch right? And in essence are trying to look like LT. Murphy and not a random SEAL. Just a curious question...ohh.and if you say no to the first question...maybe you might wanna look it up.

He wore it because of 9/11? I believe he knew someone personally effected by it or someone that helped in the accedent, I cant remember of the top of my dome. I used to wear it back in 06-07 to show support for FDNY but ditched it when I found out that alot of US operators were wearing it.

Found the online story on why he wore it during his service.

http://www.ufanyc.org/news/news_old.php?d=020307_2

Fohoni, looking pretty good.

Two questions, though: On your RAID velcro panel, is that red patch a team one? And, why is their random brown dashes of paint on your rifle?

hi

the brown brakes a littel the lines of the weapon an was experience typ of painting the pic are old i must make new pics!

seal11.jpg

seal12.jpg

And yes i ditch the patch on my new loadout i dont have patches only flag and number

He wore it because of 9/11? I believe he knew someone personally effected by it or someone that helped in the accedent, I cant remember of the top of my dome. I used to wear it back in 06-07 to show support for FDNY but ditched it when I found out that alot of US operators were wearing it.

Found the online story on why he wore it during his service.

http://www.ufanyc.org/news/news_old.php?d=020307_2

Exactly and wearing something like that for Airsoft...well honestly cheapens what it is supposed to stand for. There are few things I really think have a sort of sacredness to them..that is one of them, unless you have served in OIF, OEF or the military/LE/FD (mainly US) post 9/11 or lived in the NY/NJ area directly being affected by those events directly...it is probably almost in bad taste to wear said patch to "look legit like a SEAL!". Ranks and flags are nothing to get panties in a bunch over...but unit crests, Warfare devices, etc...that is different.

Anyway back to the thread at hand...and yeah I am not a mod but I am going to be some of you guys conscience so to speak. There is a line....try not to cross it you may not realize but it but most of the time as much as you beleive to the contrary your not honoring....your offending.

Great pics Misfit..

I have been told by some pretty good sources (SEALS from that time frame) the bottom pic is not SEALS, it is USMC Force Recon. I had actually asked about this inceident...and the SEAL in question told me this:

ME: "So what did the SEALS think about those reporters waiting on the beach for them in SOMALIA?"

SEAL: "What are you talking about? We were never compramised...those where USMC Force Recon guys. You wanna know how you can tell that?"

ME: "Sure how?"

SEAL: "Because that photo exists, and all the reporters aren't dead..if that had been a SEAL team the moment those lights came on the SEALS would have begun shooting and bounding back to the water and swam back out to sea. Every swinging *rickroll* on the shore line would have been schlacked...that is how you can tell."

That is what I was told directly..but I know this pic has been reported to be SEALS and labeled that in other sources...but the good news is the kit is more or less the same..so it is still great refference for the time frame.

Every account in books I've read (can provide citations) said that it was a purely Marine team - and that the Marines claimed that they were SEALs. The SEALs who've written about it say that they would have claimed to be Marines.

Hence, the photo is of Marines in my opinion.

Every account in books I've read (can provide citations) said that it was a purely Marine team - and that the Marines claimed that they were SEALs. The SEALs who've written about it say that they would have claimed to be Marines.

Hence, the photo is of Marines.

While you might have read the book, you weren't there. Hence, stop making claims. Until I hear it from someone who was on the beach its still gonna be one unit saying it was the other. I have heard senior recon enlisted Marines talk about this incident. Guess what they said! it was SEALS! so might as well not speak on what we don't know. It's all hear say.

The following quote is taken from Chick et al. "Somalia, 1980-1996." Air Combat Information Group Journal 2003. Available at http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_191.shtml.

According to ACIG:

To support the UN relief effort, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Colin Powell, directed CENTCOM to secure transportation facilities in Mogadishu. An amphibious squadron, consisting of USS Tripoli (LPH-10), Juneau (LPD-10), and Rushmore (LSD-47), with a Marine Expeditionary Unit (I Marine Expeditionary Force – Camp Pendleton, California), a SEAL platoon, and a Special Boat Unit (SBU) detachment, arrived off the coast of Somalia shortly thereafter.

On the night of 6 December, 12 SEALs from SEAL Team One conducted a hydrographic reconnaissance, taking depth soundings with weighted lines. Another 5 SEALs swam ashore and reconnoitred the beach, as the Marines needed up-to-date charts for the beaches which did not exist. The SEALs returned to the Juneau where they compiled charts, briefed the Marines, and prepared for the next night’s mission.

The second mission, on 7 December, involved the SEALs swimming in Mogadishu harbour, where they found suitable landing site, assessed the area for threats, and made sure that the port could support maritime pre-positioned ships offloads.

Marines of the 1st Force Reconnaissance Company, 7th Platoon, and Navy SEALs moved into Somalia in the early morning hours of 9 December, with 1,300 Marines coming in by helicopter directly to Mogadishu airport. The Marines and SEALs assigned to the beach were met by a media circus with crowds of cameramen using bright lights to get footage of their arrival. Soon regular Marines of the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit arrived and focus shifted to them, allowing the Recon Marines and SEALs to finish their mission: ensuring two anti-aircraft guns spotted on satellite were inoperable[my emphasis].

Another example. Note the similarities in the text. This quote is taken from Specialoperations.com... so make what you will of that. Article is here.

The following night members of 1st Force Reconnaissance Company, 7th Platoon landed in three separate teams to control the beach and port facilities. The team on the beach were surprised to meet members of the news media who made their job difficult with crowds of cameramen using bright lights to get footage of the wet, camouflaged Marines who were now brilliantly lit up in the dark night. Soon however, regular Marines from the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit arrived and attention shifted to them and the Force Recon Marines were able to finish their original mission of ensuring two anti-aircraft guns spotted on satellite were inoperable and then securing the runway for assault. Four SEALs conducted surf observations and initial terminal guidance for the Marines’ landing craft.

A similar article citing SEALs as the sole beach landers was written by Time. Here.

A further article also puts forth the same idea. Written in The Independent. Here.

While you might have read the book, you weren't there. Hence, stop making claims. Until I hear it from someone who was on the beach its still gonna be one unit saying it was the other. I have heard senior recon enlisted Marines talk about this incident. Guess what they said! it was SEALS! so might as well not speak on what we don't know. It's all hear say.

By this logic no one would be able to produce accurate history "unless they were there." As you've pointed out there is controversy on the units involved in the beach landing / "media circus" event. But as Plasticmag and I have pointed out there are a variety of sources which offer us clues as to who was and who wasn't there. By evaluating these sources we can hope to come to some sort of conclusion.

What seems rather likely to me is that people in the media, probably more familiar with the Navy SEALs as an elite amphibious unit, were more apt to cite them as the beach-landers as opposed to the Marines. The possibility that both SEALs and Marines were in this initial wave may also have contributed to this confusion.

The joint Marines-SEALs operation is further supported by Warrens' American Spartans: The U.S. Marines: A Combat History from Iwo Jima to Iraq (2007, pp 411).

The SEALS where there...But from what I have heard...and like Fatal it was from senior SEAL team members that where in the TEAMS during this time was the SEALS where still in the surf a small distance away...still conducting recce. I am amazed at the restraint those MARINES showed because I feel they would have been well within their right's to commence to laying hands on those journalists and getting those lights out. And it is a great photo none the less no mater who was there because it shows how the media does not in any form belong in military action...because they don't get it.

So, what is the difference between a Mk 18 Mod 0 and an M4 CQBR?

I've read through the very first thread where there was a lot about MK18/CQBR, and I'm still wondering this. I dunno if I'm just stupid or missed it, but If someone could explain it'd be nice.

From what I've read on Seal discussion Pt.1 and google searches I want to say MK18=CQBR but from posts on the first couple pages of this thread, that seems to be wrong, which has me confused.

If you have a mk18 your fine

The whole on the beach thing is interested, looks like the guy on far left in that one pic has dyed his webbing and put some stripes on it(Looks to be a vintage H harness).

Damn have to love choco chip.

I'm honestly too lazy to dig the specifics up.

But the CQBR is a kit that comes from the armory that can be installed on any service carbine lower. Usually you'll see it on a M4A1 lower.

A Mk18 is a complete gun issued to VBSS teams by CRANE. The Mk18 however sits on an M16A1 lower, as designated by the by the sharper cut receiver pin tabs, and CRANE markings on the right of the magwell. The Mk18 also uses a RIS, the CQBR uses the RAS. There's a lot of other cosmetic differences, but they're quite sublime, i.e like the rounded nature of the stock release, or the LMT being on only one side of the rear BUIS.

SEALS would use a CQBR, a Mk18 not. That's why you see CQBRs being used with SEALs, Rangers, Marines, PJs, etc. As it's a retrofit short barreled upper kit. Whereas the Mk18 usually sits on a boat and is used by Navy VBSS teams. There are exceptions to every rule, but the Mk18/CQBR are very close, but different in who gets what.

070311-N-0120A-048.jpg

Archived