Ares Tavor Tar 21 Review

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TSI Armouries has produced a proper working MARS replica, I think for about US$125. However, I'm really pleased with the Eotech 557 which looks good IMHO :)

It does look sweet, I have to admit...it's just that I kinda liked the whole optics-and-laser-sight assembly of the MARS...

Im working something out with an external laser sight as I am also a huge fan of the Eotech and see how that goes...

Any link on the TSI MARS would be appreciated, I can't seem to find one under 800$ for some reason...

Edited by liongreek
TSI Armouries has produced a proper working MARS replica, I think for about US$125. However, I'm really pleased with the Eotech 557 which looks good IMHO :)

nobody has one yet, How can you tell its "proper"? I am sure that they have checked upon the news here so it will be better than the ARES one.

Still, the sight is too narrow, an EOTECH's screen is 20% wider, thus giving you a better view.

BUt that of course is how I see it.

nobody has one yet, How can you tell its "proper"?

TSI have had lots of interest in the replica MARS and they certainly are aware of how utterly rubbish the ARES version is. 'Proper' is something that actually allows you to see a red dot reticle in daylight, that the reticle is in fact a dot and not a splash of red hue and is useable for aiming your weapon.

TSI have stated they are producing a replica that actually works properly- i.e. a proper red dot replica.

TSI have had lots of interest in the replica MARS and they certainly are aware of how utterly rubbish the ARES version is. 'Proper' is something that actually allows you to see a red dot reticle in daylight, that the reticle is in fact a dot and not a splash of red hue and is useable for aiming your weapon.

TSI have stated they are producing a replica that actually works properly- i.e. a proper red dot replica.

Alright fair enough, no offence, but so far, tsi doesn't do anything BUT selling vaporware.... Hence shipment of their tavor....

Nothing against TSI, but every company states that their product is top notch. :D

I will see it with my own eyes first, then test it, then believe it.

That's how I learned first hand how wrong Ares' Mars sight is.

BTW, for a company that states his products are few days away from shipping out, but still doesn't have a picture of their product, I feel kind of akward about it. Hope for you people who pre-paid it, you get your money worth, I really do!

It really depends. For example, Real Sword has been postponing their SVD for at least six months. It turned out to be a magnificent rifle. I forgot about the wait the second I took it in my hands. Much much better than if it was out sooner, but less of a masterpiece ;).

well, I really don't mind waiting if it means better products. As long as it remains on a sensible price scale of course. I want to play airsoft and even if I own a few real steel accessories, I do not believe that I have something that would justify an 800$ purchase of a real MARS. (else I would have to move to...Mars to escape my wife's rage...and I do mean a narrow escape...)

While om the subject, the 420 euros I paid fot my TAR21 are too much, considering that the MARS is for paper weight, I had a new motor and air nozzle installed to make it more trustworthy and it is the second day I try to reassemble the weapon. At least I seem to have put together the gearbox correctly...

So, when the gun is in one piece again, I'll let you know of its performance...

Received My TAR recentely

No PRoblems yet but from what I have read it seems certain things may need to be fixed

I like to have things on hand before they do break, and from my reading I found certain things that can be used

- Short Type Motor replacement

.... Guarder Infinitie Torque

.... Systema Magnum

.... Matrix High Torque

- Piston and Piston Head

.... Still not too clear on what to get as I hear people using different ones but have to file it to work

- Battery

..... It seems everytime someone uses 9.6v or a Lipo they run into problems earlier on, has anyone just used a 8.4v or 7.4v lipo without any problems

- Semi auto on full auto burst

.... check Bevel and cutoff lever

Am I missing anything else?

This thread is meant to be a review of the ARES CTAR21. There are clearly many posts about mods/enhancements/changes that people have carried out and most of whom (very naturally) have subsequent issues.

If you mess around with a stock AEG, you will very likely have issues and problems- this is not fair reflection on the ARES CTAR itself. What I'm saying is posts about changes/mods/upgrades and subsequent problems should be in a seperate technical thread.

I have a pure stock ARES CTAR21 and I've had absolutely no problems other than an absolute poo MARS sight, a motor that should have better torque-which is why occasionally you'll need to go to full auto to cycle the gearbox and why I use an 11.1v lipo. Also the efficiency of the piston could be better but at least it's consistent and I get my target FPS.

I've skirmished my ARES CTAR21 numerous times mostly in harsh conditions- I've even fallen with all my 16 stone weight on it and it came out completely unscathed. It is a rock solid accurate firing AEG- I don't regret my purchase. In CQB it pips all the M4s.

Could someone or perhaps a MOD please start a WE SCAR technical thread and move the ever increasing modification posts and tech/ solution fix questions to that new thread? That way, review type posts could provide links to the WE tech thread.

This thread is meant to be a review of the ARES CTAR21. There are clearly many posts about mods/enhancements/changes that people have carried out and most of whom (very naturally) have subsequent issues.

I won't argue with you there but usually most forums tend to have the problems and how to fix them within a review thread so its only natural that some people head to this thread first. Although it does clutter things up but a good reader can sift through things with ease.

But its good to see that someone has a gun working properly without having to tamper with anything

Edited by cbcsteve
- Battery

..... It seems everytime someone uses 9.6v or a Lipo they run into problems earlier on, has anyone just used a 8.4v or 7.4v lipo without any problems

An 8.4v NiMh or 7.4v lipo battery will be just fine. Both have similar ROF on the same motor, the 7.4v lipo having the slightly faster ROF. A 7.4v lipo will usually, in most cases, outlast a NiMh battery of the same mAh.

- Semi auto on full auto burst

.... check Bevel and cutoff lever

It's called a sector gear. A bevel gear is the thing that comes in contact with the pinion gear.

Individual replies are bolded and italicize. Are you going to replace you MARS? There's someone in this thread that put a G36 (not sure if it's a G36 rail or not) rail on place of the MARS. Some food for thought.

While on a wargame, my Ares Tavor finally lost its full auto function and no working of the selector lever could re-engage the full auto option. Has anyone encountered the same problem? Is it the micro switch which is the culprit? If it is, can anyone tell me what type of micro switch my Tavor has?

While on a wargame, my Ares Tavor finally lost its full auto function and no working of the selector lever could re-engage the full auto option. Has anyone encountered the same problem? Is it the micro switch which is the culprit? If it is, can anyone tell me what type of micro switch my Tavor has?

Not likely to be the micro switch. It either works (makes and breaks contact) or it doesn't.

Likely to be the pushrods or cut-off lever. (Only speaking from experience with the SA80)

Started in on a TAR, it has lots of potential, i expected the MARS to be this ######, given how the STAR Susat was. Out of curiosity for the US guys, where did they hide the metal flash hider, as I can't find mine :(

I'm going to put it through its paces, then figure out what needs to be upgraded after this weekend.

KM

• 1 month later...
<snip>

Am I missing anything else?

Air seal nozzle I remember reading on the Airsoft Mechanics that the Ares Air seal nozzle is really quite bad and some people have had at least a 5-10fps increase when replaced

Im not sure but this might have been posted before and is the source of the above info Tavor Gearbox Thread (link)

Air seal nozzle I remember reading on the Airsoft Mechanics that the Ares Air seal nozzle is really quite bad and some people have had at least a 5-10fps increase when replaced

Im not sure but this might have been posted before and is the source of the above info Tavor Gearbox Thread (link)

Yep, I agree. My Ares should be firing at a higher FPS for the spring I have installed. I'm certain it's some air loss due to poor air nozzle.

Even Still, this rifle fires very accurately with good range- range should increase when I get a new air nozzle.

Edited by bbstriker

hey guys just got my tavor second hand and so far i like it although i havent played it yet. im about to open it up and seal the leaks as well as replace some parts like the barrel and air seal nozzle. can anyone confirm if it uses a type-0 cylinder? if so then the barrel and the cylinder dont match. maybe thats why my tavor as well as others is encountering low fps problems... hope someone can help me out so i know what to buy when i go to the shop.