The "dumb question" thread

Gorf

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From a legal standpoint you would be modifying the appearance, so not allowed. Some sites ever strictly prohibit this, others are less strict.

As to getting it bought for you, I assume that youa re under 18? This is ok as far as I'm aware still.

Incorrect. You aren't modifying the appearance, only temporarily covering it. A lot of sites insist on some kind of covering for IF's to maintain the realism of the game.

You can't have it "bought for you", ie, you give someone money and they buy the IF, as essentially they're selling you the IF themselves and breaking the law. They can gift you the IF without getting anything in return but you're unlikely to find someone generous enough to give you a £150+ AEG.

• 2 weeks later...

Incorrect. You aren't modifying the appearance, only temporarily covering it. A lot of sites insist on some kind of covering for IF's to maintain the realism of the game.

I'm not sure it's as clear cut as that. I haven’t read the act since it was introduced in 2007 so I may be dead wrong here, but the consensus of opinion at the time was that temporarily covering the two tone nature was a grey area. Throwing a bit of scrim net over with elastic bands would be very quick to remove and wouldn't totally disguise the paintwork underneath. Whereas a camo-tape job covering all of the bright paintwork as suggested here would potentially be viewed as a more permanent covering. The spirit of the law is intended to stop the possession (through the restriction of sale) of realistic imitation firearms, I can't see how you would legally be allowed to convert, even temporarily between IF and RIF for the sake of a realistic shooting game. What would stop you swapping the parts out for unpainted ones and then replacing them before you go home? or for that matter respraying the gun and stripping the paint off?

I know a lot of sites do insist on coverings, others insist that you do not cover.

*edit for SPAG*

I'm not a lawyer, nor have I read the act in a whyle (as above then really :P) But I was under the impression that painting, covering with netting and what have you is "manufacturing" an IF into an RIF. Under the VCRa any airsofter may do this, even those under 18.

Can someone please confirm or deny this, thanks.

It's a lot complicated as the VCRA was a terribly thought out peice of legislation. It is ILLEGAL for you to BUY, IMPORT or MANUFACTURE a RIF without a valid defence.

Manufacture is very unclear.

I believe when the idea was mentioned, it pertained to people importing RIF's in parts and putting them together to form a RIF (as that was common practice for countries that have banned airsoft at the time)

Now, is camo tape manufacturing a RIF? Well, like all grey areas (of which there are many) if in doubt, play it safe, ask the site owner if they allow this or if they think it is a bad idea and stick to their decision. Some might say, sorrie, we think that that would count as manufacturing a RIF, others might say, you must do it on site to increase the realism for other players. And everything in between.

• 4 weeks later...

It's a lot complicated as the VCRA was a terribly thought out peice of legislation. It is ILLEGAL for you to BUY, IMPORT or MANUFACTURE a RIF without a valid defence.

Manufacture is very unclear.

I believe when the idea was mentioned, it pertained to people importing RIF's in parts and putting them together to form a RIF (as that was common practice for countries that have banned airsoft at the time)

Now, is camo tape manufacturing a RIF? Well, like all grey areas (of which there are many) if in doubt, play it safe, ask the site owner if they allow this or if they think it is a bad idea and stick to their decision. Some might say, sorrie, we think that that would count as manufacturing a RIF, others might say, you must do it on site to increase the realism for other players. And everything in between.

Its quite simple. As an airsofter you can legally manufacture a RIF. You don't need UKARA, or site membership or anything else (though being able to PROVE you are an airsofter is a good thing) So any airsofter, of any age, can put camo netting or paint on a IF to make it a RIF without breaking, or even bending, the law.

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of paint ...

so, I wish to make a lovely Blue plate carrier like the one shown in this video at 0:41:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKkp1TeZaic&t=0m41s

So quite clearly he uses Krylon Fusion dark blue and then a lighter blue for dusting the colour, my issue I can't find any where to purchase such Krylon type spray .. the reason I have found it they just dont ship to the UK some hazmat issue what ever.

So .. following on, does anyone know of a retailer in the UK that sells a different type of Krylon spray in many colours possibly including a blue

or

A similiar spray from a different make that is sold in the UK?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Thank yah.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a kinda dumb question that I feel doesn't really deserve a new thread. Is there any way to fit a battery, lipo or other, inside a drop in KAC handgaurd? This is semi important to my new build and I have neither of the parts available to me at this time so you guys would be help me out quite a bit by answering.

Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

I dont think this is worth it to post in Technical Discussion so...I was assembling my AEG and I managed to break a plastic part coming out of the gearbox, something tells me its some sort of nozzle but im not sure

It isnt completely snapped but it kind of sits at an angle now, is it neccesary to fix it up with Superglue? I noticed the accuracy went off a bit so I was wondering if this "part" is the cause?

I dont think this is worth it to post in Technical Discussion so...I was assembling my AEG and I managed to break a plastic part coming out of the gearbox, something tells me its some sort of nozzle but im not sure

It isnt completely snapped but it kind of sits at an angle now, is it neccesary to fix it up with Superglue? I noticed the accuracy went off a bit so I was wondering if this "part" is the cause?

Picture of the broken part please.

Picture of the broken part please.

post-74887-0-26973900-1317841615_thumb.jpg

Sorry if it's bad quality, it was taken from my iPod Touch.

I'm not sure about replacing it, I find it hard enough putting the two receivers together nevermind the gearbox :unsure:

Is it really that much of a deal? and if I was to replace it is there any sort of ones to look out for? It's a G&G M4 Combat Machine by the way

EDIT : yes the quality is pretty bad, if you can make it out it is the black part with a crack in it and a metalic gold part under the crack

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, looks like the air nozzle is snapped. You definitely want that replacing. If you don't think you have the skill to do it yourself there are several airsoft-smiths here on arnies who will happily let you pay them to do it for you.

Pretty much what Ed said. I'd imagine if you tried gluing it, it wouldn't last long and you'd probably get issues with airleaks

Onto my stupid question - or at least a question that doesn't really warrant the 'technical' subforum. My TM MP5 is feeling a little lightweight so I was thinking of changing for a metal body. Would the ICS body fit without any problems? I was planning on keeping the grip and pretty much swapping the rest of it out.

If not, any idea which body would be good to go for? Ideally I'd like to retain the internals and pistol grip as they are as I'm an horrendous cheapskate, so a body that fits around them would be perfect :)

no an ICS won't fit. A CA (I think will).or if you're a cheapskate *bramston pickle* :P Get a TM Metal Clone body, CYMA I believe are direct TM Clones.

Brilliant, thanks for the quick answer. Reckon this one would fit - only problem I can think of is I can't see the front part of the receiver in the picture, and I'd imagine pairing the existing Marui one would make it somewhat unbalanced.

• 1 month later...

Archived