Pistol Reliability

Ghost_Rider

Based on your experience with pistols, which would you reccomend for out of the box reliability and why? PLEASE READ THE FIRST POST BEFORE VOTING!  

270 members have voted

1. 1. Based on your experience with pistols, which would you reccomend for out of the box reliability and why? PLEASE READ THE FIRST POST BEFORE VOTING!

• KSC/KWA
    • Western Arms
    • Tanaka
    • Tokyo Marui
    • KJW
    • Maruzen

Pistol owned: KWA Glock 19

Reliability: 4/5

Retailer of pistol: Second hand over teh EBAY

History: Had already seen alot of use when intially gotten it.

Issues arising: Slide fairly smooth although trigger is a bit unresponsive. Stock 20rd mag has unreliable gas packing, so will leak. Extended mags work much better although they do have a tendency to leak as well.

Pistol owned: KWA Beretta M9 Vertec #1

Reliability: 3/5

Retailer of pistol: New from MAP Paintball

History: New. Doesn't get used much.

Issues arising: Trigger is very responsive in single action, although incredibly rough in double action. Slide appears durable, but just don't bother using it much.

Pistol owned: KWA Beretta M9 Vertec #2

History: New. Doesn't get used much.

Issues arising: Same as #1, although the mag is a little bit more finicky to fill. Also the mag bumper tends to slide forward leading to concerns of the mag spring flying out at inopportune times.

Pistol owned: WA Prokiller Mk II F5 #1

Reliability: 5/5

History: New. Skirmished with constantly. Now has had about 2000 rounds through it. Metal slide on order. Guarder stainless barrel

Issues arising: Trigger has slight side to side slop, but less than I've seen on numerous real steel 1911s. Is comfortable to hold, feels the proper weight, and points well. Sexy too. Full auto is a bit inaccurate, but you'd expect this. Mag is rock solid. Only minor problem occurred when I didn't relube the slide following barrel replacement.

Pistol owned: WA Prokiller Mk II F5 #2

History: New. Skirmished with constantly. Now has had about 1500 rounds through it. Metal slide on order. Guarder stainless barrel

Issues arising: Trigger has slight side to side slop, but less than I've seen on numerous real steel 1911s. Is comfortable to hold, feels the proper weight, and points well. Sexy too. Had to remove the barrel spacer as it looked a bit wankerish. Needed very minor hopup change. Ultra reliable thus far.

Pistol owned: WA Wilson Combat Hicap

Retailer of pistol: Used from teh EBAY!

History: Really really used. Seen probably 5000 rounds, some wear rails, but thats to be expected. All internals are pristine. Has metal slide, needed new barrel bushing, skipped this went with Corn barrel.

Issues arising: Needed to do a few minor maintence things with the gun, and clean it up, now works fantastically. One mag needed new Gas packing (OMG $5! Oh nose!!!1!) but I changed both just to be sure.

Pistol owned: Tanaka SAA .45

Retailer of pistol: Second Hand (or more!) From ZenmastaT

History: Don't rightly know. Seems quite new.

Issues arising: Trigger guard is a bit small for gloved fingers, and that thar hammer goes WAY back. Requires fill nozzle, but meh. Minor problem with the loading tube packing the BBs all the way into the chambers, fixed with a dab of oil. Hopup a wee bit high at extreme ranges, but other than that great. Very fun to twirl.

Pistol owned: WA Colt Model IV 1911

Retailer of pistol: Second Hand (or more!) From ZenmastaT

History: Looks new, has metal slide.

Issues arising: It's too pretty. People keep wanting to use it. Cycles wonderfully, points nice, and feels a tad heavier than my real steel. Did I mention people keep wanting to use it? It's now had about 200 rounds through it and I've only had it since Wednesday afternoon.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pistol owned: TM Mk23 NBB

Cost: $130 (as set)

Reliability: 9/10

Retailer of pistol: eHobby Asia

History: First gas gun. Internally upgraded by me with tightbore barrel.

Issues arising: Mag leak from Green Gas use. No other issues.

Pistol owned: KSC M11A1

Cost: $135

Reliability: 7/10

Retailer of pistol: eHobby Asia

History: Upgraded to magnesium bolt from HobbyTron.com after Green Gas use began.

Issues arising: Occasional misfeeds, jams, with low-quality BBs. Needed LUBE! Occasionally vented gas for no reason.

Pistol owned: KSC M9 HW HK

Cost: $ALOT after upgrades, $100 new.

Reliability: 10/10

Retailer of pistol: UNCo

History: Upgraded with G&G metal barrel, SS100 silencer, Hogue grips, internal custom work, tightbore.

Issues arising: Occasional failure in cold weather or humid air. That's normal for gas guns.

Pistol owned: Tanaka USP

Cost: £50 just two days ago

Reliability: can't rate it yet...... high expectations.

Retailer of pistol: Yukie (AD)

History: Second hand, extremly good condition.

Issues arising: Strange gas leak, but has been fixed. No parts or kit availble

Pistol owned: KSC USP COMPACT

Cost: £120

Retailer of pistol: AD

History: Bought new, Benn very good to me, i have not had to use it in the feild as of yet. Nice accuracy for a small pistol, nice suppressor kit installed, with no draw backs.

Issues arising: not enough acessories for it, and does not like the cold.

• 2 years later...

Anyone notice how people have commented on their HFCs; pretty much all positive.

HFC M190 (199 i think) Full metal, full auto

4/5

Pros: I've loved the gun. Shoots straight and hard at around 290FPS. Its been thrown into a rock pile and drug around everywhere i go. its great to have a full metal pistol. solid feeling, blowback is very crisp

Cons: Sometimes jams, but its when it need to be cleaned. A mag of mine (from HFC) has been iffy. full auto isnt so accurate, but hey!.. its full auto! heavy.

length or ownership: 6 months approx

Pistol owned: Maruzen Micro Uzi (pre type-U, discontinued)

Cost: £115 new about 9 years ago

Retailer of pistol:Outdoor Pursuits, Guernsey (maruiairsoft.com)

History: Bought new from Outdoor Pursuits, Guernsey. Gamed, hard, estimated somewhere around 70,000 rounds by the time I sold it on. I have no reason to believe that it is not working to this day.

Issues arising: None. Other than the usual seal shrinkage and normal maintenance.

Pistol owned: Marui Tactical Master

Cost: £125 new about 8 years ago

History: Bought new from Outdoor Pursuits, Guernsey. Gamed, hard, eventually sold it on to a friend for spares.

Issues arising: Only one and it was wear-related, after a very long service life. The piston cup in the blowback unit is prone to becoming slack and they will lose "pep" over time. It was replaced by a PDI winter piston head, which totally cured the problem.

Pistol owned: Western Arms 1911A1, M9, M9 Limited Competition

Cost: Varying

Retailer of pistol: Outdoor Pursuits and second hand

History: Gamed and hard, like all my guns. Still own the two M9s, sold the .45 to a friend for his WW2 kit.

Issues arising: None. Other than the usual seal shrinkage and normal maintenance. Recently at a phoenix ww2 game the .45 was hurled onto concrete, hard, by my friend. The slide cracked quite severely but the gun carried on functioning flawlessly for the rest of the day, real tank of a gun.

Pistol owned: KSC USP Compact Japanese Version

Cost: £90 new about 3 years ago

History: Bought new from Outdoor Pursuits, Guernsey. Gamed, hard, this gun is my regular carry for games these days, it just ticks all the right boxes.

Issues arising: If fired at a downward angle (pushing liquid into the blowback unit) it can jump the seal off the pistonozzle, not exactly a problem. I knocked the slide and cracked it a few months ago, it has now been replaced by an aluminium G&G slide. Despite fitting a metal slide I have upgraded no other parts to compensate, the stock hardware is perfectly capable of pushing the Alu.

I ran all the above guns on HFC22 (and sometimes 134a on very hot days in summer). Conclusion; it all comes down to individual models, not manufacturer. Many times it comes down to reading the manual and maintaining your guns. Though I will say this for the Marui M9/Tacmaster pistols. I've seen them filled with all sorts of ungodly substances and smashed about relentlessly with little or no maintenance, and they always manage to spit out BBs when you need them to.

HFC "Assault Eagle" Ingram M11

Cost: Ł20 broken

Reliability: 2/5

Once I pumped an awful lot of lube into the works, it worked pretty fine, barking the whole mag worth of BBs in one long burst without venting. Before that, it tended to jam quite frequently, but no venting. The only vent was caused by a faulty, undersized BB that worked its way into the hammer canal and caused the valve to jam open.

Later, I traded it for an almost new HFC M190 Semi Auto Beretta. A metal one.

HFC M190 Semi-Auto Full Metal

Cost: a knackered M11

Never failed me. On two skirmishes, it was my only weapon and still I managed to score some hits. Pleasantly heavy and accurate, no vents experienced, all jams caused by faulty BBs jammed between the slide and outer barrel. A workhorse - don't expect fireworks, the trades also may put you off a bit.

Pistol owned: KJW G27

Cost: $50 or about 22£

Retailer of pistol: friend

History: Used.

Issues arising: Jamming, slide sticking and the good old blowtorch — all the gas out the barrel. NO parts anywhere. Do NOT get KJW for this reason. Replacement mags ordered sucked — inconsistent build quality, leaks (fixed :rolleyes: ) and just dreadful.

Pistol owned: KJW M1911 single stack

Cost: About $130 or 65£

Retailer of pistol: Jungletoy ######

History: New.

Issues arising: Fairly powerful blowback. The stupid manual safety was way too easily engaged even, sometimes while aiming to fire. Magazines were alright but soon leaked. Fixed. Fairly reliable feed while it was still alive. Later the little piece responsible for blowback initation failed to retain itself in its screw hole and interfered with slide operation. After many many many hard mag slammings (now a reloading and dry fire practice pistol) the tabs that support the BB feed springs have broken off. It is possible to slam a mag hard enough to where it goes up into the chamber. Inaccurate pistol, average spread was 8.5x11 sheet of paper at 7yards, all would hit the paper. After that it was just terrible. Still cooked about 320-300fps.

I do not recommend this pistol because spare parts are NOWHERE.

Pistol owned: WA SCW2 Kimber MarSOC

Cost: $210 new

Retailer of pistol: eHobby Ebay

History: about 50 mags of GG through it.

Issues arising: None, performed the same on day 300 as it on day 1

Pistol owned: WA SCW3 SVI Hybrid

Cost: $250

Reliability: 2/5

Retailer of pistol:Dentrinity

History: 1000 on 134a

Issues arising: Double feeds, triple feeds, quadruple feeds, broken slide from 134a use on a hot day, light strikes (progressed to not firing at all), firing pin falling out, loose safeties, broken mag base plate

Pistol owned: WA SCW3 Kimber SWAT II

Cost: $210

Retailer of pistol:Z1

History: 10 mags on 134a

Issues arising: double feeds, light strikes, eventually not firing at all. O-ring ripped after 10 mags.

So it's settled once and for all: KSC/KWA are the most reliable pistols out of the box.

Ich don't think so.  :rolleyes:

Most of this thread is from two years ago. TM has released their latest generation of GBB's since then: P226, Glock 17, 1911 and 5.1 and 4.3 Hi-Capa's. These have reliability to match or beat any other stock GBB from a different manafacturer.

I'd wager if this thread was re-done you would find TM top of the list with KSC/KWA second.

I have a wide variety of GBB and NBB in my 14 strong hand gun collection TM's, KSC's, TK, Maruzen's and so on.

One thing that i have come to notice is that the Tokyo Marui's stock are the most consistant. I'm not a huge fan boy of Tokyo Marui hand guns and actually only 4 in my collection a TM's but stock these have to be the most reliable and with the best hop-system for any of the guns I own.

Now when it comes to upgrading two of my guns really have outshone the rest and that is my KSC G23f and G19. These have been fully upgraded and these just keep on going, with very little maintance. The TM's and even some of my other KSC's need work after every skirmish.

All in all I think the way it goes is that there are some excellent models on the market made by many different companies, yet these same companies make some utterly rubbish guns.

Going back to the whole WA thing, i think alot of it is due to parts and thier ever changing blow back system. Out here in Japan there is a huge mistrust of WA, mainly as they don't uphold thier warranty system but also when they first started out they were utter tosh. Today, well they seem to have learnt what works and what doesn't. tweaking and upgrading thier systems can be seen as a good thing as well as bad and that eventually falls to the owner to decide.

I voted for TM.

I don't own a TM GBB any more. I used to have a DE .50 and a P226. Right out of the

box, it was good quality. I've had a KWC P99, which wasn't bad, but under cybergun,

to expensive and not nicely finished.

As far as the performance goes, the TM DE .50 was marvelous. Simply the best ever

stock (gives me an itch to buy one again)

The reason as to why I don't have them anymore is simple.

I discovered the KSC line of USP's, since I 'm a huge fan of H&K, the decision was

easily made.

KSC do miss a little power compared to the TM's. And my socom was in the beginning a

love hate relationschip.

But now, my KSC's outperform the TM's that I have had, because of the upgrades.

In any case If TM decides to make a H&K replica GBB, it might be right next to my KSC's

no doubt.

In my experience. If you are new to GBB and want a reliable gun to learn how to handle

them, Buy a TM. The KSC might be more for experienced users.

(no flaming, just my opinion :) )

Pistol owned: Tokyo Marui M1911A1

Cost: 145 USD

Retailer of pistol:AEX

History: Bought it new from AEX. They have a great reputation and I wanted something very skirmishable. Turns out this is a great piece, near perfect hopup, great FPS, loud, great kick, and overall just plain fun.

Issues arising: None so far, although I've only had the gun 4 months.

i voted TM.

ive had a good few pistols over the last couple of years since i started, but only the 3 TM ones i had pleased me enough to keep them. i had 2 TM .50 desert eagles, and both were utterly flawless, running on propane all year, NEVER venting, even in winter. i used it in the snow once, and it still worked well enough for a pistol. those things push the 1J mark on good days, and really hot days, well, lets just say you should have engagement distances. i then chose to upgrade them, and they were never as good as a brand new DE.

what ive got at the moment, my only pistol, is the TM 1911. again, i cannot see a way to improve this thing. the perfect skirmish pistol. people moan about the gas storage space, unless you reload your pistol mags in agme, its totally irrelevant. ive never seen anybody reload pistol mags in game, especially GBB ones, so i dont even consider it a problem.

since the DE, TM have released the 226, 1911 and G17. all 4 are quite possibly the best stocjk pistols ive ever seen. my mate picked up a G17 second hand last week, and its as good as my 1911, with better gas storage.

shame its a glock hahah

and theres the problem

my cousin has had 2 KJW G27's with metal slides, brought from Z1 for the same price as a KWA G19 with metal slide.

the KJW G17 kicked harder, had a much nicer finish, and shot better. the first one got nicked, and i bet whereever it is, its still working. because the one he got to replace it with still is.

Pistol owned: KJW MK1 NBB

Cost: ~60 USD

Retailer of pistol: Redwolf Airsoft

History: The NBB is a pretty reliable considering the price. It has a relatively loud reposte, decent range and accuracy. However, it is a pretty hot gun, running at 400 FPS stock. If it's a problem to people, it only holds around 17 rounds. Easy to field strip and get to most of the internals.

Issues arising: My magazine was beaten up due to droppage, but once I get a new one, I'll see if the NBB is still functioning despite weeks of no use.

(Voted TM regardless. However, if there was a choice to pick HFC, I would have done so.)

Pistol owned: KJ Works M9(the new version)

Cost: £95(can now get them from airsoft armourey for £79.99)

Retailer of pistol:EliteAirsoftEssex

History: Used with HFC Ultrair(green gas) straight ou the box. No problems with it. This maybe a curse or a blessing to people bot you have to paint the dots on the sights yourself :D mine are bright green :P

Pistol owned: TM M9 Chrome

Cost: £60 s/h

Retailer of pistol: My mate, steve

History: I bought this off a mate who bought it secondhand off someone who was selling up. I have no idea how old it actually is but I've had it for over 2 years. I've run pretty much Green Gas through it all the time and it still kicks hard and punches the round down range. It doesn't get a full 5 out of 5 as there has been a few small problems. Sometimes in the cold and damp the pistol jams, it's like there isn't enough gas in the mag. Usually this is sorted by dropping the mag out and racking the slide. Don't know why it works but it does. I have used this pretty much as a primary weapon before when my aeg has given up on me.

Pistol owned: KWA Glock 19 with upgraded Metal Slide

Cost: £50 second hand

Retailer of pistol: Friend

History: This has been the most awesome pistol i've seen, it has worked everytime i've drawn it (not including operator error :P) despite being dropped many a time. It even shoots well enough when other pistols on my team start dropping out due to the cold. As far as i'm concerned its the ideal backup.

• 4 years later...

Pistol owned: TM M92F military model

Cost: £125

Retailer of pistol: Wolf Amouries

History: I brought it from wolf amouries a couple of months ago and it has worked perfectly every game i play. I have dropped the mags a twice on concrete (By accident) and i picked it up and it fired fine not problems at all i don't know how long to fill it up for i do 10 seconds and it fires the whole mag off and about 15 more shots with 29 round mags, Cant complain.

Archived