AR15 Picture Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too.... Many... Modern AR's. Lets take a step back in time =D

I posted in one of these AR thread a long while ago with my Tokyo Marui CAR-15. I said how I was going to make it a full metal rifle. Well, a few months and hundreds of dollars later I have this!

DSC02010.jpg

I've been having trouble with endcaps and such for the triangular handguards. So I need to find a real steel set. So my quick fix so I could use this at Op: Irene was a pair of well used XM177 handguards. So its still quite a "work in progress"

A photo of the lovely Colt trademarks.

DSC02011.jpg

And I also opted for the G&P early AR-15 body. Notice the lack of the brass deflector, and the bumps that protect the mag release.

DSC02013.jpg

And of course with a 20rd magazine.

DSC02014.jpg

That's beautiful! Though I can't decide if I think the stock is awesome or hideous... though I'm leaning towards the former. What's it called though? I've seen it around, but don't know anything about it.

It's a proprietary stock for the CAR-15.

G&P have both AEG and GBB listed as in progress so fingers crossed more than just the lucky few who have the TM will be able to get their hands on a CAR-15 some time soon.

Too.... Many... Modern AR's. Lets take a step back in time =D

I've been having trouble with endcaps and such for the triangular handguards. So I need to find a real steel set. So my quick fix so I could use this at Op: Irene was a pair of well used XM177 handguards. So its still quite a "work in progress"

A photo of the lovely Colt trademarks.

Retro carbines are great - yours is no exception! I wouldn't worry too much about the handguard. I have seen real ones with the early round single heat shield, but you might want to swap out the M203 front cap. Those didn't come along until later. You can get a set of triangular rifle length and cut it down - these were how the real ones were made. The front cap is standard for triangular hand guards using a 0.625" diameter barrel. The rear is unfortunately unique, but there are plenty of places that make reproduction parts.

The trademarks are not quite accurate, but you do get the retro feel. I've seen two set - apparently these carbines were never formally adopted by the US military so it had no Property markings (the military commonly made Commercial Off-the-Shelf purchases from Colt and refereed to them as COTS). The one I saw had commercial Colt markings, Model 07A, with safe-semi-burst fire controls. The full auto version was apparently marked Model 07, but I have never seen one. The second carbine I saw WAS officially adopted by the military so it did have Property markings, Model GX5857. This one was safe-semi-auto. The markings on your receiver I have seen commonly on USAF rifles...the Model 02 refers to the M602 rifle. Another difference I saw was that they were significantly light gray in color, almost silver.

Also, you have a modern M4A1 port cover.

Edited by BaBaBooey

What's different about the dust cover? I'm having trouble seeing a difference to the real cover on the GX5857 and XM top: (Found on AR15.com)

Sorry, I was referring to the port door on Bleaumaglite's carbine; it appears to be an M4. There's actually several variations on early Colt port doors, but you can see two major differences here:

portcover.jpg

Top came from a Colt 700 bottom from a 653. Notice how the early port doors had square edges and was much smaller.

It's a minor detail.

Daniel Defense Omega X replica made by Socom Gear.

How did you tighten yours down? I have one and I've got it as tight as I can and it still has a slight bit of slop, not a big deal, but I'd like it to be as solid as possible. Do I really need the DD wrench key to fully tighten it down?

Even so, it is a lovely RIS, fit, finish, and looks are great.

Thanks

Edited by Shift