do you abuse your precious kit?

sniperiain

ok. today was the second time i wore my OD RAV with almost brand knew warrior pouches.

i have my custom built m16. so to set the scene.

there was a rough road with a small shed and a bus shelter type thing. the distance between was about 15 meters. now one guy was at the shed and myself nd another were in the other shed.

there was about 35 of our team all scattered and the 40 odd in this village next to the first shed, which was takin a battering.

so this fella chucks a pyro to the guy at the shed so he can proceed to clear the first section. anyway, the pyro goes halfway then a gust of wind took it and it landed in no mans land, in full veiw of the enemy.

i knew we had to get it to that guy or it woul dbe mission over.

so i legged it.

i picked it up, in semi crouch position and chucked it to him.

now this is where it went sticky.

i was wearing a pair of old issue boots, worn in basic training so they were getting on. any way when i betn down to pick it up the sole came off and i lost all balance, so after chuckin the pyro i slipped and dived straight into the cover where i dragged myself up. i was in a right state, pouches scraped, m16, scratched. i looked a state.

so.

i wanna know, does any one out there dive about on th deck, get their guns all weathered and beaten?

or are you the type he darent go to one knee incase he gets dirt on his brand new MARPAT?

so let me know. and pic proof is always a laugh!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tell ya, buddy. First game last sunday and dayam, was caked in mud. The gear might not have been the best an all but it cost a lot considering... Anyway, cheap *albatross* sling broke, my ics m4 goes barrel first into the dirt, and gets a muzzle full of it. Take it off cover the holes and blow the mud into the back of my friend's head and get on with it. Later on more or less same thing happens. Stick the gun barrel first into the mud to right myself after slipping climbing a hill. But yeh, the whole general laying in puddles etc etc...

Oh and the running like a madman straight for the flag on advice from a vet. This is running through watery mud about a foot deep. Only just cleaned the boots off... Stuff was like concrete. We won tho :D

Yup, I abuse the hell out of my Crye Precision. Hell, for $400 bucks, I'd expect the stuff to hold up. I abuse all my stuff, even my race gun. As stated before, I think everything looks great once its gotten some natural wear.

Edit: It's the reason I pay for higher end stuff, because I expect it to last. Not for it to break down and fail just because I went prone and crawled around for a while.

Here's a pic I just got from a buddy of me skirmishing my race gun.

DSC04571.jpg

i wanna know, does any one out there dive about on th deck, get their guns all weathered and beaten?

or are you the type he darent go to one knee incase he gets dirt on his brand new MARPAT?

so let me know. and pic proof is always a laugh!

Neither. I will happily get caked form head to toe in mud fighting for an objective, but my weapons will remain clean.

This is not from a lazy point of view cos i dont want to clean my weapons, but rather a result of indoctrination, where dirty weapons leads to weapons not firing, which leads to death.

Darkchild

All my gear gets abused - Load bearing kit, clothes and boots and whathaveyou. Whatever sidearm is in my holster usually gets a bit of mud and dust on the grip, but i always keep my rifle immaculate. I'll quite happily land on my face rather than my guns.

*edit* Yes, Harmless, that counts! I've done the same with mags, but there's no way in hell my MRP is skidding over concrete!

Get dirty when you need to and stay clean when you don't. Camo patterns lose their "patterness" when you're completely caked in mud :)

Also as said above. Getting mud and dirt into AEGs and GBB pistols is just bad news. They're delicate mechanical systems unlike their real life counterparts and were never really designed with mud in mind. They'll survive water but not thick suspended particles of grit!! While holsters such as Safariland and Serpa are meant to survive mud, why risk a malfunction by immersing it unneccessarily.

Treat your gear nice unless the situation demands otherwise. Milsim baby hehe

i dont abuse my kit..... cos that would be stupid, right?!

i do however leopard crawl through mud, puddles and other ######, go head first through windows and throw my guns over fences before jumping over myself.

i would like to think that this is what the kit is designed for and therefore i am not abusing it. Using a rifle to lever open a stiff door is abuse. Using the butt of a gun as a hammer is abuse. Getting your kit dirty in the persuit of your next kill is all par for the course.

i do see those who turn up and don't get a speck of mud on them... good luck to them, they pay their money like the rest of us. nothing worse than being told how to play the game by somebody else!

I'd like to think that I run my gear as much as I need to.

I also find what gear needs replacing and such, since last game, my Condor Knee Pad fell apart, while defending a hill. I did chuck it at the enemy trying for a Nade' kill :P

As for the gun, I try to not get dirt and mud INSIDE the gun, but I do run an AK, so the externals, I could care less. It's stamped steel, so it can take the abuse.

I'm not adverse to throwing myself around and getting my gear dirty (afterall it's only surplus DPMs and PLCE) but I avoid getting my gun dirty at all costs.

I don't care whether my PLCE webbing that cost me £20 gets beaten up, but I do care if my £270 M4 does... I can come up with £20 easily enough to replace bits of gear if some breaks (which considering it's military surplus isn't very often), but I can't easily come up with large sums of cash to fix/replace an AEG.

Answering the specific question, no, I don't abuse my kit. It is well used but treated with the respect it deserves. This way it will last longer.

I'm a bit of a coveter.

We ate well when I was a kid, if you get my drift, so I was bought up to value stuff.

Like my very expensive crash helmet, when I fall off my bike, I do everything I can, not to let it get scratched. :D

I'm the same with my kit. I remember getting a £300 Surefire & had to take it off my gun, as I was afraid I was going to scratch it. It's an amazing bit of kit, but a lamp 1/5th the price does the same job. It was a real mistake. Any one want to make an offer on a used once M4 devastator? :D

Greg.

Sort of depends on what kit im wearing but dont go out of my way knowing that throwing or dropping my gun through a window paid too much to get the wrecked.

The boots i wear are fairly bashed up and if im wearing my cheap surplus dpm no problems jumping into a foxhole etc where they might get snagged but if im in my more expensive trousers i may think twice tho as the lower is mostly cordura its unlikely to rip!

I have to agree that many players with "precious gear" are being "girly boys." Too much goes into how Gucci can the gear look. For me I buy real steel gear knowing well that if I take a dive or roll down the side of a mountain it won't fail. One example is me testing out new Crye Combat Pants, an Eagle CIRAS, and my newly completed M4... first thing I did, I fell of the side of a hill. I cut my arm up pretty good and my gear was all grass and dirt stained, said f*** it and played the rest of the day in similar fashion, real gear means get it messy.

Does sliding my P90 4m across a concrete floor to a team mate with a jammed gun count?

LOL!

A former member of a gun board I frequent tossed his AR15 down his driveway to give it "that worn look."

I am not scared to get myself, or my gear dirty. I don't like to get wet, though. But I am in Texas, so its not that much of an issue!

Between games, I'll usually drop my belt rig on the ground, and if its really hot, my chest rig follows rather quickly.

If it gets really nasty, you can always hose it down.

My kit gets used, not 'abused'. If you can't use it then why buy it? I've also found that new kit (especially replica multicam) tends to stand out a bit more, making it easier to shoot at!

Also, I'm not keen on the use of the term 'girly'. My Ex was both female and feminine but could rough it like the best of them and had no problems with getting down and dirty (despite being 5'2" her prefered weapon was a full sized M14) :P

Archived