AR15 Variants and Derivitives Picture Thread

On 2/14/2021 at 2:30 PM, Lone_Bullet said:

@Ivan le Fou
Pwetty pwease show your AR collection? ^^

Well, I "only" have 3! ^^

It's just a series of different iterations based on what new items I have, what I want to do with them, and such.

My current work-horse used to look like this:

44xc.jpg

2fzy.jpg

92h2.jpg

opsr.jpeg

23yd.jpeg

n3gw.jpeg

Here is the current version:

katq.jpeg

My DMR one went through less changes:

smo5.jpeg

Here is the current version:

hl8w.jpeg

Same goes with my SBR:

q9ki.jpeg

3m6v.jpeg

Current version:

ovcs.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SLR 8" SBR build done. Just waiting for a few accessories (sling end plate, AAC Blast Shield, Cloud Defensive LCS, and an actual working ScoutLight head) and repairing my BTC Spectre, but otherwise al

Hey all! I kind of stumbled upon this thread by accident while searching for M16A2 receiver markings on google and saw one of Catgut's amazing VT's. Which brought me here I have been working on

One of my latest build, a real Colt M16A1 converted for GBBR on the WA system. Stripped upper, barrel and BCG was changed to Viper Tech du to my local laws. Also a video of how it was made:

Posted Images

kept going back and forth about painting the mod 1....so I settled and painted half of it! 
O7a2J6v.jpg
UXrZPAY.jpg

I also have an LPVO on the way for my URX 3.1 build (ICS PCR97 base..the old school gray body version, not the new)... so once that shows up I think all my rifles will officially be...dare I say..."finished!" (so that just means I have to come up with a new build lol) 
CPBBhCi.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, CatgutViolin said:

A little more oldschool today. Viper Tech replica of a Colt 733.

Need to change a few things to properly replicate the one seen in Heat.

I'm trying desperately to choose between this and a VFC MP5 GBB for my next non-UZI purchase. How do you find it? Do you run it with GHK magazines? Is it still half-travel?

10 hours ago, PureSilver said:

I'm trying desperately to choose between this and a VFC MP5 GBB for my next non-UZI purchase. How do you find it? Do you run it with GHK magazines? Is it still half-travel?

I haven't had the opportunity to skirmish it yet, but so far I am extremely pleased. I expected basically a GHK with fancy externals and was pleasantly surprised to find it's more than that.

I'm using GHK stanags (wanted the option to Devilhunter mod them), but they were a lot of work to fit. It's not really 'half-travel' by default, more like 3/4 travel, but you can take out a spacer to make it full travel at the cost of a bit of felt recoil and ROF.

Here's a more extensive writeup I posted to Reddit in response to someone asking about it:

I've read a lot online that these are collector's guns you buy for the build quality but not really skirmish-oriented. That's wrong. Maybe it was true at one point (I've read that Viper Tech originally made guns for Inokatsu), but this 2021 production gun is the closest thing I've seen to perfect in my time in the sport.

You asked, so here's a wall of text.

Build quality: I've spent a lot of time with real ARs and this feels exactly like the real thing. The aluminum is much higher quality than what you normally see on airsoft guns, and everything that should be steel on the real thing is steel here. The bolt is steel with an aluminum nozzle, and it's quite heavy. The anodization on the aluminum is extremely tough and the phosphated finish on the steel is perfect. That said it is all very tightly toleranced so pins need tools to remove and contact surfaces are a bit rough; there's clearly a break-in period expected here but it's no worse than the real ARs I've worked on. This gun is, no joke, better quality than a budget real AR.

Feel and realism: The gun comes with a small plastic 'puck' that goes behind the buffer spring and short-strokes the action by about 3/4". Without the puck, it's a bit sluggish on propane compared to the real thing, but is appropriately snappy on CO2. With the puck and running on propane, the cyclic rate is correct and it's still able to lock back as normal, just a bit farther forward than the 'correct' position. It kicks *hard*, throwing back a lot of mass on each shot. The trigger pull feels like a real AR rather than most GBBs; there's no slop to it, just a relatively heavy pull and clean break. Videos online don't really capture it well, but it is LOUD and makes a distinctly metallic sound.

Performance: Here's where I'm most impressed. I'm seeing comparable efficiency to out-of-the-box GHKs, 90-100 shots on a single fill before it starts to weaken. But that's with a steel bolt, whereas the GHKs and MWSs I've seen lose a lot of efficiency with steel bolts. The gun also has a pretty interesting hop unit out of the box, with a hop adjustment that increments in clicks, and the stock bucking has a contact patch very similar to a PDI W-Hold. I'm still cleaning factory oil out of the gun so can't adequately comment on its accuracy/range [Addendum: After cleaning it out, it's very good; comparable to a well-sealed PDI W-Hold), but the general verdict I've seen is that it's better than most of the things you could replace it with. Muzzle velocity is also pretty consistent, and I expect that to improve as the parts bed in. I ordered two bolts (so I could have a field one and a CQB one), and VT actually built them to my BB weight and muzzle velocity specification.

If I were to compare the gun to anything, it would be a GHK with the full suite of RA-Tech parts (6061 receiver, steel barrel/internals/bolt, replacement hop unit, etc). But it's cheaper than such a build would run, it's all nicely fitted and QC'd out of the box, and the efficiency is some black magic voodoo stuff.

Complaints are minimal, but for the sake of fairness: The plastic furniture kinda sucks; the forend lacks the internal heat shields of the real ones, while the stock is loose even by AR carbine standards and both the stock and grip are a weird matte finish. GHK STANAG mags don't work out of the box, which is solely due to GHK making them oversized (GHK polymer mags supposedly work fine), but required some modification. The tightness of parts makes fitting accessories a bit of a pain. And while nominally a Colt 733, the lack of brass deflector and the presence of a bayonet lug on the front sight are both not quite right.

Overall I would wholeheartedly recommend Viper Tech to someone looking for a high-end AR. It's expensive, but still cheaper than assembling a comparable build from a more well-known manufacturer, and you are absolutely getting your money's worth.

Anyways, actually getting one is a little tricky right now. If they have what you want on their webstore you can buy there. They also accept orders through their Facebook page but it's a little slow since I gather they have a very limited number of English-speaking staff. I got mine through a fellow on Reddit/Discord who has a personal relationship with VT and puts in custom orders for a small ($40USD) fee. It was about three weeks from initial contact to delivery. Also, they have to ship via FedEx at the moment and the cost is rapacious, but it also took four days to go from Taiwan to my doorstep, so it is what it is. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you need help or have questions.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, CatgutViolin said:

I'm using GHK stanags (wanted the option to Devilhunter mod them), but they were a lot of work to fit.

Yeah, I’d also be looking at trying to use STANAG-looking GHK magazines. I wonder if I’d be better off trying to reshell GMAGs in RS aluminium or steel shells to get closer to RS dimensions… Worth investigating, especially for the weight difference.

Thanks for the info - I might buzz you at some point and figure out the costs and so on!

16 hours ago, PureSilver said:

Yeah, I’d also be looking at trying to use STANAG-looking GHK magazines. I wonder if I’d be better off trying to reshell GMAGs in RS aluminium or steel shells to get closer to RS dimensions… Worth investigating, especially for the weight difference.

Thanks for the info - I might buzz you at some point and figure out the costs and so on!

There are a couple of options for out-of-the-box-compatible STANAGs. EB-Tech makes the ones that VT supplies with their rifles, and they're a bit heavy but work well. WA-spec mags are significantly wider than real-steel ones. I looked at it earlier and getting GHK internals into a real STANAG shell would be difficult. Probably not impossible, but probably not worth the work versus modifying the GHK shells.

After a lot of frustrating sanding and fitment I realized that the main culprit was that the GHK mags aren't bent perfectly, and they bow outward ever so slightly in the middle. Giving them a gentle squeeze in the middle with a pair of pliers was enough to take all my mags from tight fit to drop free.

I did also have to take the plunger out of the bolt catch, reducing the spring tension on it, for the GHK mags to lock open reliably, since they have weaker followers than the VT is intended for. But now it all works as expected. Here's a quick test clip.

Edited by CatgutViolin
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

TM NGRS CQB-R ft Camoraids upgrades

Dytac BCM KMR style keymod ras

Acetech Predator on a barrel extension

Nitecore CI6 viz/IR flashlight with custom dual-end pressure switches from @PureSilver This is mounted on an NC-Star cantilver forward mount (which ended up costing me like £65 after getting it from the states!!!) which pushes the light forward enough to make room for the pressure switches but also acts like a poor mans t-rex arms "lightbar"

Dytac KAC style high mount, flipped reversed GMR style with holosun rds + perst 4 laser

index1.jpg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Working on a build inspired by one of the guns owned my GRS vet of the 13 hours book Kris Tanto Paronto.

https://www.ballisticmag.com/kris-paronto-frankenstein-ar-rifle/

DYTAC base
Surefire rail
CQD grip
Surefire scout on a Arasaka mount
G&P Aimpoint on A.R.M.S. mount
Magpul buis (placeholder)
Lancer PDW stock (closest look alike I could find)
I have a A2 pistol grip with the bike tire grip I have to mount.

IMG_20210707_105845873.jpg

• Like 1