AR15 Variants and Derivitives Picture Thread

23 hours ago, warspite said:

Just purchased a ViperTech HK 416D gas blowback. 

Was surprised to discover that my unit has no HK markings. Just want to ask if Umarex put a stop to ViperTech HK markings or did the latter produce blank HK 416 receivers?

Anything under the sticker on the magwell?  Though the reverse is blank.  Shame.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SLR 8" SBR build done. Just waiting for a few accessories (sling end plate, AAC Blast Shield, Cloud Defensive LCS, and an actual working ScoutLight head) and repairing my BTC Spectre, but otherwise al

One of my latest build, a real Colt M16A1 converted for GBBR on the WA system. Stripped upper, barrel and BCG was changed to Viper Tech du to my local laws. Also a video of how it was made:

Some WIP pics of my GBBR build w real parts. Based on the WA system.   RS A1 Colt vintage parts:   - Complete milspec lower complete w buffertube and stock etc - Complete rear sight - Teardrop

Posted Images

Just purchased a ViperTech HK 416D gas blowback. 
Was surprised to discover that my unit has no HK markings. Just want to ask if Umarex put a stop to ViperTech HK markings or did the latter produce blank HK 416 receivers?

Congrats on your VT!

VT does indeed make blank 416 receivers, the HK markings have to be custom done afterwards (or order from a place that has it already done default_smile.png)
5 minutes ago, TheFull9 said:

Lovely.  I did some thinking recently and came to the conclusion the lower is just about the optimum AR setup for bb warz.

I never used to be a huge AR fan but this gun has changed my mind. Even with the full steel parts it's light, with minimal weight up front so it points easily. The carry handle optic felt excessively tall at first, but it's growing on me, as the heads-up shooting posture feels very natural, particularly for CQB. CAR-15 furniture is slimmer than M4 furniture and I find is easier to use.

I'm still waiting on a repro of the Kley-Zion micro dot mount, which will let me attach the red dot directly to the carry handle rather than needing the rail, but then I think it'll be basically perfect. Could see myself adding a flashlight, Gothic Serpent style, but that's it.

I then pick up the A4 with its 20" gov profile barrel, and it feels like someone took my handy little carbine and taped a boat oar to it. I've been spoiled.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, blobface said:

Nice! Are these original mags or are you planning to GHK mag them? (are they even compatible with work?)

EB-Tech mag in the M16, GHK stanag in the 733. And as for compatibility, well...

GHK mags are slightly wider than the other WA-derivative-family mags. It's an issue with stanags because, unlike with pmags, you can't just remove a millimeter off the shell and call it a day, so I had to remove some material from the inside of the VT magwell on the 733 (not looking forward to this on the M16...) to make it fit, in addition to filing the mags and bending them to square up the shells (GHK's bends are sloppy, and most bulge out a bit in the middle).

Additionally, GHK mag springs are a bit weak, so reliable lockback requires either removing the detent pin from the bolt release on the rifle, or replacing the GHK mag spring with a stronger alternative (AEG midcap 'superfeed' springs work fine). This can cause the guns to lock open a round early due to the design of the GHK follower (it starts to actuate as the last BB comes up), so then they need a little bit of trimming so as not to actuate the bolt catch until actually empty.

As well, the gas router rubber is just a bit too tall- it doesn't cause any obvious problems at first, but gets torn up over time and compromises the seal. There's a 3D printable jig in the Viper Tech Discord server that allows trimming them to the right height with a razor blade.

All in all I like the design and price point of GHK mags, but I'm not sure it was worth the time and effort to make them work. EB-Tech's lightweight stanags are a bit more expensive but are a solid design and require zero modification. And if I were building a more modern AR I'd probably just buy VT's own pmags and be done with it.

Edited by CatgutViolin
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Bloodsword said:

My retroish AR`s.

Upper one is Delta Carbine, inspired by Blackhawk Down movie. Based on Cyma CM.009D.

Lower one is a generish M4A1, based on E&L M4 Platinum.

20210725_101352.jpg

Very nice.

What barrels and front sights are you using? That old grey shaed looks awesome.