I learned something today.........

FireKnife

So they say 'you learn something new every day'. So out of my insane curiosity what if anything have you learned today.

Post up things you have learned, from the inane to the strange to those 'oh that makes sense' moments.

Today I learned that Dennis Farina, star of some Miami Vice episodes and the odd Michael Mann film used to be in the Chicago PD even though he often plays gangsters, how ironic :P.

So yes post up those random little things you have learned and please no picking on people that hve just learned something we all know about.

'FireKnife'

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another for me. I learned that one of the few people I would call 'IT savvy' outside of my department at work has never seen what Alt + Tab does on a Windows PC. Thay made out like they had broken it?

I always thought that along with the basic shortcuts like Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V this was common place?

'FireKnife'

I have learnt I don't have a 'Tab' button on my keyboard, so will never find out what Alt+ Tab does.............. :(

I am not sure if you are being serious or not but it looks like this:

84767096.png

Also as far as I know it only works in Windows. If you have 7 try Alt and the Windows key, it looks better than just Alt + Tab.

EDIT: And before this goes off topic back to the learning, I want to see how long it can last too :P.

'FireKnife'

I learned that people, under the guise of anonymity can be total *rickrolls* in an MMORPG. I was playing The Hunter with its nice new multiplayer feature when some guy asked if he could join me in a hunting party. I kindly declined as did another player to which he started fake swearing (#$^%!, that sort of swearing) and shooting all over the goddamn place spooking everything away for miles.

edit:

I also learned that the "return" key is in fact the same as the "enter" key. Why'd they call it return and isn't the backspace key more appropriate for that title?

Return and enter are actually different, it's just become commonplace for them both to serve the same functions. Originally in computer architecture(in the 60s and 70s) return was just for bringing the cursor to the next line- similar to returning the carriage on a type writer, hence the name- and enter was to confirm an input, but since most applications will only want to do one of those, the tendency is to have them both do the same thing, even though they're distinct inputs.

It's got plenty to do with the TTY (Teletype) standards. There are two codes there, Carriage Return and Line Feed, usually abbreviated as CR and LF. Now, not every computer handle these in similar way, and some make distinctions for even the order of these commands. Making CRLF and LFCR different programmatically...

I learned that the JG SL8 doesn't use the standard kind of G36 hop unit.

Let me guess you, wanted to change the magwell to M4 type?

I learned that Borderlands 2 really does have trillion/gazillion weapons.

I am not sure if you are being serious or not but it looks like this:

84767096.png

Also as far as I know it only works in Windows. If you have 7 try Alt and the Windows key, it looks better than just Alt + Tab.

EDIT: And before this goes off topic back to the learning, I want to see how long it can last too :P.

'FireKnife'

Actually I wasn't joking, I was looking for 'TAB' on the key button..........  A bit like 'press any key'  ANY? ANY? ANY?.........

Edit.  Oooh, thats useful!   Believe me, I really am computer illiterate.:)

Archived