Shotgun Picture Thread

I ordered a real cocking assembly, but I have NO idea how to remove the arms from the receiver? has anyone figured that out? It seems the Tanaka has a lot of slop forward and back on the pump action section, hopefully the grip upgrade helps, but it sucks that's there to begin with.

A little more weathering, what do you guys think:

Shot_01.jpg

Shot_02.jpg

Shot_03.jpg

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The action bars are attached to the bolt and I can't get the barrel, bolt or action bars out of mine.

So far, it has defeated me.

I think it is something to do with what looks like two pins holding the breach into the receiver, I can't work out how to get them out, they have a huge diameter so I am considering epoxying a rod to one and pulling it out.

I just don't want to destroy it.

On another note, I don't have any slop in my action.

Looks way better, how about a pic next to your real steel? ;)

BTW, Are you using the CL Magnum shells or just the original ones that the gun came with?

Original ones for now.

Stuntman, I stripped the entire gun down, and even removed those two pins (they come out easily once you remove the magazine barrel) and still it wouldn't come out. I can't tell what's holding it together. But if I could remove the barrel and take the action out I could drop in my real remington cocking assembly. They cost like 30 bucks, and I'm sure would help firm it up, but like you I have no idea how it comes apart.

Original ones for now.

Stuntman, I stripped the entire gun down, and even removed those two pins (they come out easily once you remove the magazine barrel) and still it wouldn't come out. I can't tell what's holding it together. But if I could remove the barrel and take the action out I could drop in my real remington cocking assembly. They cost like 30 bucks, and I'm sure would help firm it up, but like you I have no idea how it comes apart.

And you're sure the slide/pump arms aren't catching on the shell latch(es) in the receiver?

I think we are talking about two different sets of pins.

I don't mean the ones that go in next to the mag tube. Once you get it down as far as you have at this point, with the trigger mech out look up into the body of the gun and just to the rear of the breech in the top of the receiver are two circles, they could be pins and they are pretty big, 8 or 9mm in diameter.

I think they have something to do with it.

Okay so what follows is a tale of woe.

So you want to know how to open the Tanaka shotgun? Answer: you can't.

So here's how it goes. I was installing the Wilson forearm on my Tanaka 870, and even setup on my work table in my rubber vice to that it couldn't wobble. So I wasn't half assing it. Anyways the forearm goes on tight so I tape it with a rubber mallet and as I do one tap the cocking tube assembly bars shear off, like bend and snap, under the wimpiest of taps. Oh ######, there goes my gun. So now I HAVE to open it up and install the new cocking tube assembly.

So I strip the gun down as far as I can, and find out what's screwing us Tanaka users over. Here's the problem, Tanaka built the gun to be assembled at the receiver and NEVER taken apart. Parts were made to go one way, and not out again. The barrel mates up to the gun via a plastic collar/neck piece that snaps in place but can NOT be removed later without breaking it. Parts are held in by friction and locked in place using tension and rivets.

Simply put the gun is NOT meant to come apart beyond the basics of the magazine tube, stock, and trigger group. So what happened is that in wiggling the barrel out the collar the whole receiver cracked shearing out the bottom. My hand slide down the barrel and hit the cracked metal at enough of a force that slicked a dime sized wedge of flesh out of my hand. Yeah there was blood everywhere. I was more concerned about my hand then the gun at point. But suffice it to say my less than week old Tanaka is a pile of junk.

I was extremely gentle on the tanaka and while I'm sure the gun might have held together had I not done ANY mods to it, the build quality was absurd for the price, and making it so that accessing the guts of the firing system result in BREAKAGE is beyond stupid.

So for anyone who wants to mod your Tanaka, if it involves going anywhere but simple things, you're *beep* out of luck.

I'm now debating pitching this gun into the dumpster near work. UGH!!!

Not a particulary sextastic pic, but I thought I'd put up one of my TM Benelli. It's not had a lot done to it, but its a configuration I've never seen anyone else with.

Its a full length Super 90 but with an aftermarket smokies pistol grip added on (so much nicer than the shorty one!). I also made up a custom sidesaddle out of a bit of ABS and some elastic. Looks ace in a breaching role. I'll get a better pic up eventually.

post-24019-1209490748_thumb.jpg

Don't all the Airsoft Surgeon Tanakas over at Redwolf have some kind of internal modification that allows it to shoot his proprietary shells? Surely he had to go inside the gun to make those changes...?

They may have a deal where Tanaka provides them spare parts or the guns unassembled. But please feel free to CRACK open your M870 and prove me wrong.