Anybody else miss the good old days?

Stealthbomber

@ Kenworth

Eliteism is not in the gear, it's in the attitude.

To suggest that "good 'ole day" players are better than newer players, well, I just can't agree with that. wink.gif (and that's not beacuse I see myself as new tootongue.gif )

Eliteism it may be, but in my experience, its true. Skills in airsoft aren't what they used to be. But to round things up here, let me say that I would probably get my *albartroth* kicked by a newer player (2 years) if we both had M4s. However, if we both had TM Benelli M3s then I'd win.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me, the difference is not all one way, for instance, I want a galil which takes AK mags. Now I could shell out £1000 for Inokatsu and TM kit 10 years ago.. or now It'll be a CYMA Galil with a Wooden Foregrip and an M4 front outer barrel extension, for less than 1/3 of the price.

However, all my guns are custom to some degree. Now to me, CUSTOM means non-off the shelf components. An M4 with a PEQ on the front RIS isn't Custom, nor is a Different stock on an AK. Now, I'm not all that technically minded, I can fix stuff, but you won't find me with a sheet of plasticard and a pot of JB Weld making a PEQ.

But sometimes the simple things are effect, such as a safe-semi-semi/full fire selector for an AUG. Neither difficult to make or figure out. Back when I started airsoft, these were appreciated, people wanted to know how you did it, nowadays it for the most part runs a little differently

Player A: Have you seen This custom fire selector?

Player B: That's cool... but I custom'd my M4 with loads of Tan MagPul gear :3

I'd argue that just the knowledge required to produce a highly modified rifle (even if it's made from bits you've pulled out of a packet) warrants some credit. It takes a whole *suitcase* load of research to really figure out which make and model of part is going to fit together with one another, often even if you are using predominantly the same manufacturer for bits, and that's fairly rare. If you're going from a totally standard issue M4A1 for example, and have an end objective that involves changing basically every part, inside and out, that's a lot of work and some of it's going to be fairly hard, particularly for the inexperienced.

The old days were great werent they? Not even just the guns, the kit.

Remember the only gucci kit available were the relics you would pick up from a surplus store, if you were lucky enough to find some or had a surplus shop close by. Airsofters today have it too easy.

yes,if your a MW2 wanna be soldier it is,since most companies have less,"Quality Control"and focus on astectics more and more,appleaing to the younger generation of gamers instead of players,key point

Umarex G36C=looks good(excluding traits)and soaps fav weapon,but quality?absolut rubbish

ACM Masada,again,Soaps fave gun,HorIaBl3 internals,

And dont get me started on the easier to find weapons,cough*M4 ras,ak47 CPW with m4 stocks,ScarH by matrix Mp5k)they even got my 2 fav attachments bad rep on the field now

Many lower quality m203's(matrix/e1 origanals sold out for cheaper,###### ones..)and the G&P master key kit?

IS IT ras Attachable?

Can it fit scar?

Can it reach 200 meters?(PLEASE ODNT ASK WHER THE KID LIVES)

Mind you that plenty of info is ontop explaning it can only be attached to a m4...

and now my most hardest hit in the product line..(sniff sniff)If oyu think The TM spas was hard to find b4 modern warfare2,you will cry now,not even bing helped that much,but after 2 months of surching a few,i ofund a couple of sites still offering them,hell,i tell you them in a pm if you prove to me your not a MW2 wannaBe "Soap newb"

its going down hill kinda,since most are iresponable,brandishing guns,leaveing in mags,NO SAFETY!(Listen,Dont try to be liek hoot like black hawk down,guns have a safty swicth for a reason!)and now to the point that they..

1:Shoot at walls

2:Beg thiere parents to buy Cubes motion trackers thinking its a heart beat sensor

3:seell out all the good guns because of what?a game...

now im going to wait,wait for the Magpul ACR,and fire a stream of 6mm Justixc to all teh mw2 wanna bees out thier,Cheers to you true airsofters,cheers to you...

Nigel c Styles

AKA,superkingbig nuts

BTW,im the only black airsofter on my team XD

look after 6 pages I have decided we don't miss the old days at all.

That is what this topic has told me .. we all in no way miss the old days.

In fact if offered a machine to make the current days into the old days everybody would clearly reject it and we would continue as we are.

Bloody old people.

:P

Alright, here. I've no problem with the cheap ACM replicas nor the billions of M4s. Sure, it may not force you to bodge together anything you want, but I've come to understand that the sort of person willing to do real customization in the old days (when I was just entering airsoft) will still do just that. If you like to tinker (as I do), you'll find a reason to tinker. Cheap parts and guns merely facilitate our tinkering! I haven't bought a new replica in many years, and yet through fixing this problem here, buying this new part there, I found myself with nearly enough spare parts to build an M4! So I did. It is fun to use. That's all that matters. Sure there are some fancy bits out there, but I'd rather build them from scratch, even if I use mostly bolt on odds and ends, it's still unique to me and worthy of my affection. That's airsoft, folks.

Also, regarding the issue of the newer players with ACM replicas running around detracting from the "fun, spontaneous, plain old good time -ness" of the game, sure I see that influence, but for me it's not a problem. There are not many airsoft fields too near me, and I was brought into the sport by a good group of friends dragging me into the woods at their lake camp with paintball masks and everything from UTG MP5s to ICS M4s. While I don't see that particular group too often anymore, I've generally stuck to that style. Don't get me wrong, when I CAN get out to a big event, that's some of the greatest fun I've ever had, but if I don't want to play with disrespectful or overzealous brats, I simply call up friends I know I'll have a good time with and say "Hey, let's break out the bbs this weekend". Sure things have changed, and sure you'll have to get used to it, but that doesn't mean you can't still have tons of fun.

BTW- The friends with whom I know I can have fun use predominantly ACM and even some sporting goods store clear jobbies painted black. And guess what? they have just as much fun as I do with my fine tuned tinker toys. Bottom line? Check the attitude and JUST ENJOY YOURSELF!

You all want to have a nostalgic feces slinging fest, lets reminisce about our old friends Sledge and Hissing Sid aye?

*snipped out some awful load of carp*

This is what really bothers me about modern airsoft. It's not the availability of cheap guns or the increase in players, it's the fact that I have to go and BABYSIT illiterate, spoiled children at the field where I play. I hate kids in the first place (flame away), so dealing with them in my off-time shouldn't happen. Ever.

n i was liek mw2 r roxxxx k

Go to school, learn to speak, progress to reading and writing, then talk with the big boys on the internet forums. Until then, I have custody of your keyboard. "wot am best gnu?" Find a straw and some 0.12s and make do.

Honestly, if kids cared enough to behave professionally and act as if they deserve respect, they wouldn't be treated as "n00bs." I have the utmost respect for those who make an attempt, successful or not, to come off as something other than a rabid brainwashed XBox child.

I started at the back end of 2004/2005 and was 24 at the time. A time when I was a lot fitter and had more money funny enough....

Back then I was out every Saturday and Sunday at a skirmish, no kit other then what I borrowed; it was fun.

Fast forward to now and well am close on 30, no so fit any more and a lot less money.

Last skirmish I had was some time last year, it no longer feels like fun anymore.

I seem to have lost the enjoyment I got from going skirmishing and seem to get more out of fixing the dam things or playing about.

When did airsoft become so serious and the fun die ?

No idea, but that "I is serious walt, this is serious thing, this airsoft" attitude ###### me off to no end. I get puzzled looks when I say that I want a silver MEU, or a Tanaka SAA, or anything that isn't a railed M4 or other "very milsim gun". Or when I whip out my two Berettas.

This is what really bothers me about modern airsoft. It's not the availability of cheap guns or the increase in players, it's the fact that I have to go and BABYSIT illiterate, spoiled children at the field where I play.

Honestly, if kids cared enough to behave professionally and act as if they deserve respect, they wouldn't be treated as "n00bs." I have the utmost respect for those who make an attempt, successful or not, to come off as something other than a rabid brainwashed XBox child.

This.

I'm divided. On the one hand, I started playing paintball when I was 13 and was one of those know-nothing "noobies." I get the sense that "back in the day" (for me 1997) there was a bit more seriousness impressed on newer players. When I began playing I was intimidated by the older players with their fancy autocockers and (early gen, shoebox) shockers. I listened to older players. I also rented a gun for the first, maybe, 5 times I played over the course my first year.

On the other hand, I feel like kids can get into the sport on the cheap with little commitment to seriousness or even to safety. They don't show up to fields and rent a gun, they show up with vest, rifle, etc having never actually had to "learn" the sport via renting. Additionally, the whole CoD/MW culture has been leaking into airsoft for quite a while. For example, back when I started playing paintball when you were hit you went to the "dead-zone" not the "spawn." No one ever talked about their "kill ratios..."

I have no problem playing with younger players as long as they listen, are respectful, follow directions and keep a cool head. I'd prefer it if they at least wore camouflage of some sort, but I understand that buying a gun, magazines, batteries and face protection can be expensive for a younger player.

Nowadays the events in my area have a good mix of "for everyone" and "age 18+" games which is nice.

Despite his atrocious grammar and spelling, SuperKingBigNuts, does make a good point in suggesting a "player/gamer divide." A lot of older airsofters view the game as a sport, not simply an extension of Counter Strike (does the CS reference date me?)

I remember back in the day when everyone knew about Frankengun's Omnicol XA-23 (that's what he called it, right?), and how he modded an MP5 with an M4 LE-stock for his girlfriend.

I remember Darklite putting an M203 on his HFC Beretta.

The HFC Beretta was also the bestest pistol ever, according to some here.

I remember when Hissing_Sid was the go to guy for all AEG problems and questions. Him and Sale.

And watching the AATV review of the Shoei MG42 that had me going "hey, I sooo want one of those!" and that eventually got me interested in classics.

My first AEG was a CA33. It was awesome! Full metal and over 300fps out of the box! It even came with a hicap, beat that!

In Norway, the "CoC-kiddie" wave is just about starting now. Luckily, the law requires you to be 18, so it isn't that bad, but it's really weird to turn up to a game and finding out you don't even know the names of half the people there...

Despite his atrocious grammar and spelling, SuperKingBigNuts, does make a good point in suggesting a "player/gamer divide." A lot of older airsofters view the game as a sport, not simply an extension of Counter Strike (does the CS reference date me?)

Looks about my age, I remember the classic days of 1.3 and earlier CS, though I must say when I first got into airsoft I essentially descirbed it as Live action CS to all my friends.

:P

It's not allways the kids that mong their way through games. Most of the kids at my local CQB site are actually very sensible and respectful towards others, probably down to the fact they are mostly Cadets.

Airsoft has evolved, there are those that follow the tide and there are those who get washed away, more often by their own accord.

I think the first time I really thought about the influence of widespread FPS games on this sport was when I was taking a quick breather during a game and a lad, around 16 maybe, walked over and asked if the "noob tube on that gun actually works?". Now, noob tube is a phrase I personally first heard in Battlefield 2, which is a fair bit older than MW2, or even COD4; but it was pretty surprising to be asked that in person. Not so much because it bothered me that 'video games are spoiling my hobby', just that airsofters tend to be the kinds to geek it up on wikipedia/world.guns a lot (I know I do) and calling a 40mm launcher a noob tube just seemed plain strange to me.

There tends to be two kinds of kids at the site when I skirmish, the middle class air cadets who's parents can afford to buy them stuff, who are generally well behaved if a tad naive; then on the other hand there's the brats who's parents use a days rental as a babysitting service to boot their 'precious' ones out from under their feet for a day. This sort of thing does get to me because it seems far too common, when I used to train in tae kwon-do before I joined the air force I saw the exact same thing every lesson, and to be honest it felt a bit like being robbed because my instructor had to waste his time, (time I'd paid for) maintaining order and behaviour amongst the youth rather than being able to focus on what we were all really there for.

Not directed at the post above me, but I see nothing wrong with people using "gaming" terms in airsoft. Its a bit of fun, not some hardcore *suitcase* where you are only allowed to communicate through hand signals or something

Quite right tbh. Personally I think the 'CoD kiddies' people are noticing have always been there, just that previously they weren't running around screaming "tactical nuke inbound, it's all ova'!".

I'd do that a lot too.

"GET TO DA CHOPPAH!"

"What?"

"DA CHOPPAH! GET TO ET NAOWGH!"

"Wha- THERE ISN'T A HELICOPTER IN THIS GAME!"

"DO ET NAOWGH! DA CHOPPAH! GET TO DA CHOPPAH!"

"THERE IS NO *fruitcage* CHOPPER!"

"NOH! I AM AHNORLD! NOHT KEARNOO!"

"FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-"

Yeah, it's probably for the best that I stopped doing that when I was 16.

Archived