Alternative names for airsoft

Agent47

Which sounds cooler?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Which name for airsoft?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't the term "strikeball" translated from russian, rather than the russians calling it "airsoft" or "strikeball". I'd guess each language/regon has its own name in its local language.

I think what we have here is a little culture shock.

Gotta be said though, from a marketing point of view, "Airsoft" is a ###### name! It's neither particularly related to, nor descriptive of what we actually do...

But I agree, at least it sounds harmless. I imagine this hobby with a name like "Warzone Simulator" or whatever might get an even more negative reception than it did with "Airsoft" as it's name.

Gotta be said though, from a marketing point of view, "Airsoft" is a ###### name! It's neither particularly related to, nor descriptive of what we actually do...

But I agree, at least it sounds harmless. I imagine this hobby with a name like "Warzone Simulator" or whatever might get an even more negative reception than it did with "Airsoft" as it's name.

Airsoft is quite related to the kit we use. It comes from "air rifle" and how our stuff is nowhere near as powerfull so its a "soft" air rifle = "air soft". Or at least thats how i understand it.

I have often heard airsoft refered to as a combat simulation, largley peddled by FCS* but I've heard the same in other places.

*Firefight Combat Simulations.

At some games I go to I'd like to call it "babysitting" or "annoying12yearoldsareinvincible game". Other times I think airsoft is just fine, it's not very descriptive, but again it dosen't translate into either "grown men playing dress up", "grownup's cops and robbers" or "War zone simulator". All of which make us sound stupid or very agressive/potentially dangerous to the community at large.

Strikeball

Paintball

It's quite similar terminology - Strikeball sounds too close to paintball. I meant the similarity in the 2 names, not the 2 sports.

Lol, I think of SpaceBalls when I hear "strikeball" though.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094012/

In Chinese forums, they are usually referred to as "Survival" as usually the word "airsoft gun" is censored... we also call them "electric/gas/spring puppy*, in Chinese, of course. Rule #1 of Mainland airsofting: you do NOT talk about mainland airsofting (or get banned and searched by the people's police).

Puppyball!!!

In all seriousness, airsoft or softair is a terrible name. It gives people the wrong ideas.

I would be a millionaire for every time I have had people come up and said: "I want to wargame, but Airsoft sounds soft and childlike, we are going to play paintball."

I agree, strikeball is close to paintball but does have a better edge to it.

AirSim or SimAir sounds better than airsoft, and describes that we are using replica airguns to simulate combat.

When I tell people what I do, I just tell them I participate in Military Simulations, with airsoft guns. Whenever I mention Airsoft though, the US culture that I live in automatically infers that I mean the cheap springers that are so readily available at local sporting goods stores, next to all of the paintball stuff.

I find myself too often explaining that the replicas I use are 1:1 scale and weight to their real counterpart and that they are used as training equipment for police and military when I use the name Airsoft, so I avoid it for the most part.

Archived