Screwed Over by ARES over China Lake designs

renegadecow

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's just wrong man.

My advice RC? Post this on as many forums as you can, get the word out. Knowing the general mentality most airsofters have of ARES, I think spreading this around will hopefully result in a larger boycott on their items (I for one will no longer buy their ).

Hopefully you can get your model to production via a more trustworthy, reputable company.

Ares is kinda my go-to company if i feel like mocking someone.

I know I can rely on Ares to have *fruitcage*ed something simple up monumentally, be it making M4 hop units out of some sort of Parmesan based alloy, putting the battery in the damned magazine of an aeg that another company brings out weeks later with 450 round hicaps since they took the radical option and but its battery actually in the bloody gun(apparently re-enforced by a former OEM/distributer/whatever S&T are to ares now doing the same)or making a hop unit that fits inside the gearbox so you have to take it apart to clean the barrel properly, then making said gearbox out of sodding plastic and hold it together with self taping screws.

Every manufacturer has a gun or two i can point to a fairly critical flaw in that shouldn't have made it out of a prototype stage, but ares, I'd be hard pressed to find a gun that's passable.

Depends how the laws in the far east country that ARES are from goes.

If it is anything like the copying laws of say China I wouldn't expect much out of them at all sadly.

So sad to hear about this, will need to add ARES to my list of companies to not buy from, just after Starbucks. ;)

'FireKnife'

Dude they're in HK :P  We use common law, not PRC law :P

Anyway RC sorry to hear about that, I hope everything gets sorted out in the end for you.  I would hope that other forums will be able to post what happened to you on their news page once you can disclose more evidence and at the very least you'll get more people that are on the fence about ARES stuff to boycott them.  Most veteran airsofters as far as I can tell don't even buy ARES stuff any more given they like to *fruitcage* up their guns in almost all their iterations. 

My advice RC? Post this on as many forums as you can, get the word out.

Yeah, I've been posting it in other forums where I've also documented the China Lake build. Thing is, it seems to be doing little in terms of smearing ARES' reputation as most folks' opinion about them is already bad to begin with. It's like trying to make a turd smell more like .

And to everyone who have expressed your concerns, thanks. It's always nice to know there's a good community you could lean on in this hobby when shitbag companies dupe you.

Sad to hear about this.

Anyway, since you seem to be into VN stuff, is there a chance of actually getting pics of the internals? Maybe if you state your case in real steel VN forums, someone can help you out. They are'nt floating around, obviously, can then you'd already have them, but some has to have blueprints or pictures of a disassembled RS CL.

IMO if ARES decides to release this then we should go to all the major retailers webstie and give them 1-star reviews on almost all of their guns. The only problem that could present itself is that if ARES steals the whole design, then it would obviously be a 5-star gun. We should jut lower the rating for every other ARES gun.

Dude they're in HK :P  We use common law, not PRC law :P

Anyway RC sorry to hear about that, I hope everything gets sorted out in the end for you.  I would hope that other forums will be able to post what happened to you on their news page once you can disclose more evidence and at the very least you'll get more people that are on the fence about ARES stuff to boycott them.  Most veteran airsofters as far as I can tell don't even buy ARES stuff any more given they like to *fruitcage* up their guns in almost all their iterations. 

Are you that sure, as HK companies have a habit of 'dissappearing over the border' when the laws are more convenient for them (happened to my company when dealing with two so called HK processing plants). ;)

'FireKnife'

This saddens me, admittedly this thread was the first I knew of your China Lake build and I went and read the entire thread of the build because it interested me.

Its disgusting that they're adding superfluous conditions to the deal though, after its been signed and you've handed all that data over. You were doing something amazing for airsofters and this company decides to take advantage of that.

Good luck in finding someone to sell to, really want to see this on the market and your hard work even more widely recognised.

Are you that sure, as HK companies have a habit of 'dissappearing over the border' when the laws are more convenient for them (happened to my company when dealing with two so called HK processing plants). ;)

'FireKnife'

Hard to do for Ares considering they have an 'actual' office here :P (not some small cubicle of what they call an 'office' so that they can establish a 'presence' in HK)  Doubt they'll 'close down' over USD 2k :P

Hard to do for Ares considering they have an 'actual' office here :P (not some small cubicle of what they call an 'office' so that they can establish a 'presence' in HK)  Doubt they'll 'close down' over USD 2k :P

Well that is a suprise, would have thought a company like Ares with all the they make and underhand handling they do would be trying to break every loophole they could. :P

Still hopefully a company with a decent 40mm system (have heard ICS are good) will take it up.

'FireKnife'

RC, you have my full support and word I wont buy anything from ARES EVER!

What I cant understand from Ares is they screw someone over 2k USD$... that is like pocket money for a company, it would have been so much easier to make things right and not face the flaming from users.

hope their facebook, twiter and such accounts are spammed and flamed to exaustion

What I cant understand from Ares is they screw someone over 2k USD$... that is like pocket money for a company, it would have been so much easier to make things right and not face the flaming from users.

Their first offer wasn't even money but a promise of 3 of their China Lakes if they make them plus a discount if I wanted a fourth. :rolleyes:

edit:

Sent an e-mail to ICS yesterday.

If it was my design, right now I'd be asking who amongst the other companies woudl take the design for free... And suggestions on how they could cut the manufacturing costs as low as posisble to undercut ARES, although with the *wheelbarrow* move by ARES, whoever else did it would probably sell better even if they priced it above ARES. :D

But then, I am a vindictive person...

So... maybe I'm not understanding this, but if you had an official contract with Ares to provide them with the CAD drawings and receive payment for this exchange, then why can't you take legal action against Ares for breach of contract?

It's going to be too expensive to do as an individual? So the next step is to find a company that will sue Ares to protect the design that you're intending to sell to this new company?

I feel for your plight, but if I'm a 3rd party to this arrangement, and you're trying to pitch me the idea that I should contract with you and then sue Ares to prevent them from developing a China Lake so that I can, in turn, produce one myself, then I wouldn't necessarily be buying.

What's the incentive for me to invest in a relatively niche (but very cool) launcher that I've got to immediately go out and protect via expensive litigation?

I'm honestly not trying to be a *rickroll*, and I do think that Ares gave you a raw deal, but I'm trying to play devil's advocate.

What's the incentive for me to invest in a relatively niche (but very cool) launcher that I've got to immediately go out and protect via expensive litigation?

That's only if ARES pushes through in making a replica based on my designs. If they don't then the other company won't have to go after them legally.

this is sad news indeed. it sickens me that major business do this to small time people with unique ideas. sadly tho this is how most of these companies get most of there unique ideas. i would have gladly purchased a china lake had it been legitimate to you but now i shall not even bother as i am almost in a similar position.

during the design of the REX i have thought about approaching manufacturers or even investors. i have contacted a famous british firearms producer of old and the md just doesnt want to pick up the phone. i have been warned of this occuring from a good friend of mine whom owns a patent firm and as the rex has several unique features he mentioned to me that there is no point in pattenting a product anymore for a few reasons; 1 it is very hard to get a world wide patent, 2 if the design is copied and slightly changed it does not infringe the patent and 3 so long as china is around there no f****** point. 

after weighing up all of these factors and without any sizeable investment to mass produce the rex it will probably only ever small production until someone decides to copy (if they do at all, it could be a big flop). however the next 8 projects/designs i have lined up will stay with me until i can protect them and mass produce them.

very sad to here about this RC. your design is truely fantastic and i shall spread the word here in the UK that it is your creation!

Archived