Reputation system added

As I said, I was largely indifferent to the issue. The forums were fine before its implementation, and I appreciate the strain the petty rep squabbles placed upon existing moderators such as yourself (which was the main reason I suggested, if it were ever to be used again, it would require additional moderators).

I agree with your point in regards to the actual meaning of the reputation, and as I said, remain largely on the fence with it. It did appear to be finally achieving a degree of behavioral modificiation in terms of the level of thought most posters were putting into comments that, previously, may have been off-the-cuff comments that achieved nothing other than fanning the flames of yet another flame war.

However, as a system it has been largely misused, and I'm not sorry to see it go. I think that it was certainly worth experimenting with, but now that we have seen that it was an unworkable system not being used in the fashion intended, we should put it behind us and get on with things. The eejits who want to appear more 'l337' to other posters still have their post counts after all... :rolleyes:

...Speaking of which, any chance of getting rid of that as well? ^_^

Edited by Marlowe
  • Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it'd definitely be good for both the rep system and the post count to be removed.

Neither give any real indication as to how knowledgeable a person is, IMO.

Although this forum is one of the few where I have never seen a post saying "stfu noob u only hav 3 posts i hav 3000 lolol".

I think it'd definitely be good for both the rep system and the post count to be removed.

Neither give any real indication as to how knowledgeable a person is, IMO.

Although this forum is one of the few where I have never seen a post saying "stfu noob u only hav 3 posts i hav 3000 lolol".

If it could be done, I'd like to see some kind of record of input into the forum shown as kb rather than posts. I see so many people rack up postswhich just say stuff like "Cool" or "I agree" or "Nope" and it'd be interesting to see the actually quantity of junk that each of us have spewed forth. ;)

Just out of interest really, not as a permanent post-count type thing.

If it could be done, I'd like to see some kind of record of input into the forum shown as kb rather than posts. I see so many people rack up postswhich just say stuff like "Cool" or "I agree" or "Nope" and it'd be interesting to see the actually quantity of junk that each of us have spewed forth. ;)

Just out of interest really, not as a permanent post-count type thing.

It's a nice idea, but you yourself picked up on someone posting bitmaps rather than jpegs - thats an instant kB boost. Unless it were limited it too text input, in which case it would still be open to abuse as people start wearing out ctrl+v.

For humour's sake I would like to see an excalmation mark index. Better scores arising from a higher character to '!' ratio. That would be worth seeing.

As someone fairly new i liked the rep system. When you looked at the rep records it provided an indication of the type of thing they were earned for. there are some people out there that have relatively few points - but they all consist of someone saying thanks for good advice. The fact that it also links back to where the point was earned has given me opportunity to read through helpful advice faster that the search engine provides at times.

I would suggest that ability to add/remove rep was taken away from the off-topic areas just to cut the over-zealous awards that can be seen, but it would be a shame to see it entirely gone.

I wouldn't, however, miss post counts. The newbie/member/adv.member should be enough.

Edited by XenoBait

There's a really simple solution to this.

MAKE IT POSITIVE REPUTATION ONLY!

It allows people to show they have contributed to the forum, or that someone has brightened their day, or has posted something they found useful.

Removing the option to neg-rep would prevent the stupid rep wars breaking out.

In addition, I would happily put myself forward to solely moderate rep, as I feel it's a worthwhile addition to the forums.

Maybe it would help if people actually considered WHY they've been given negative rep points? Most if not all of the "wars" that have broken out that I've seen have gone as follows: numpty posts rubbish/offensive material; forum users point this out in thread; numpty calls everyone faygits or some such term of endearment; forum users award -points; numpty squeals like a stuck pig before realising they are as popular as a nun in a brothel; numpty goes away to annoy other forums OR realises error of ways and shuts up.

Hmm, put like that, I really can't see a problem with the system. ;)

:zorro:

Maybe it would help if people actually considered WHY they've been given negative rep points? Most if not all of the "wars" that have broken out that I've seen have gone as follows: numpty posts rubbish/offensive material; forum users point this out in thread; numpty calls everyone faygits or some such term of endearment; forum users award -points; numpty squeals like a stuck pig before realising they are as popular as a nun in a brothel; numpty goes away to annoy other forums OR realises error of ways and shuts up.

Hmm, put like that, I really can't see a problem with the system. ;)

Quoted for truth.

it was an interesting concept, the rep point system but personally i think it should just be laid to rest. There's enough animosity without airsofters going for each others throats.

well, seems it only went away while arnie was implementing some new code- it'll back on line in a bit, apparently :(

I take your point sledge- one of the things it DOES do is shut numpties down really fast, especially if they are new to the forum- they aren't to know the rep point thing is meaningless, so it can be a useful policing device, so long as all the regular non-numpties understand that when they get -1'd by said numpty in retalition, it counts for nothing :)

ah, hey ho, guess we're stuck with it for a bit, whatever happens...

It comes back to the point I made about looking at the reasons someone has rep points. If you get a -1 from a numpty, point this out in your comment on it and move on. And whilst I see Snowman's point about not wanting to read 150+ reasons, surely it's worthwhile if you're about to commit to a deal involving hundreds of quids worth of gear?

... which leads on to another problem: people awarding rep points, but pressing the "+" button in the wrong thread. Then the link at the top right leads back to something irrelevant. So Uber_Killa_92F_Bod gets +1'ed for splendid advice on the G26. But leet_smegma presses the button in another thread, so you get the comment "+1 for great advice, really helped" but it seems to refer to the post "I like gorgonzola, except on Tuesdays." Makes it difficult to figure out whether the point is deserved or not.

Yes I agree, but there have been times I've wanted to give someone a positive rep for some advice given via PM but you can't give points from their profile, or PM, so have had to seek out an old post of theirs....

Yes I agree, but there have been times I've wanted to give someone a positive rep for some advice given via PM but you can't give points from their profile, or PM, so have had to seek out an old post of theirs....

I'm sure that someone gave me a rep point that said it was from "In profile". I don't know how they did it because I too have not been able to find any options to do so, unless it was something Arnie took out.

There's a really simple solution to this.

MAKE IT POSITIVE REPUTATION ONLY!

Hate to say it but this really IS the most sensible solution.

Must admit, I'll miss the opportunity to give people -ve points for misuse of the word "gay" and for talking ###### but I guess that's the way the mop flops.

I liked the rep system, the fact that I only had nine points and that three of those came from Bad AssTronaut (on three separate occasions for three different MINIMI problems) didn't matter...

Making rep +ve only is a good idea but I think that one of the biggest changes I'd make would be to remove the Non-Airsoft forums from the equation.

As said before, the feature really should be removed from the Off-Topic Section as this has nothing to do with the reliability of a person's information nor does it indicate if they are worth trusting with X amount of money or equipment.

It was a good system when it was used correctly, as it is always nice to know that when you try to help someone that they actually acknowledge it and give you a +ve rep point for it. Although there is one problem that I think you have to have something like 50 posts before you can rep someone, which isn't a problem for most, but I was dealing with someone in the for sale forum, and they wished to give me a +ve rep for a good deal, as I had given them one, and they were unable to do so because of their post count. Now admittly it did not matter much as they were only something like 3 posts of off the 50 needed and where able to get 50 posts without spamming, but perhaps some of the spamming on some threads by the really annoying newbs is because they want to give someone -ve rep back because said person gave them -ve rep. Althought this is both good and bad as it may increase the amount of Rep Flame Wars, but may also reduce the spam in threads.

I, like Ghost_Rider, would quite willingly moderate the Rep System, if it meant keeping it, as I think it was a pretty good idea for all its faults.

Adam

... which leads on to another problem: people awarding rep points, but pressing the "+" button in the wrong thread. Then the link at the top right leads back to something irrelevant. So Uber_Killa_92F_Bod gets +1'ed for splendid advice on the G26. But leet_smegma presses the button in another thread, so you get the comment "+1 for great advice, really helped" but it seems to refer to the post "I like gorgonzola, except on Tuesdays." Makes it difficult to figure out whether the point is deserved or not.

Best post ever. Without a doubt.

If the rep point system was up, I'd give you a +10039 for that :P

I for one am surprised to hear that the system was for selling. Inst the good trader/bad trader threads for that?

I took points in two ways:

1. Airsoft forums are for fun. Rep points collate posts nicely and demonstrate the humor and interesting topics a person has posted, in either a positive or negative way. It told you something about what this persons popularity was on the forums. Given that a disruptive person will soon gain multiple minus rep points, it was useful to help new people to the forums a sense of who is who and who is numpty.

It is only a popularity rating, nothing more serious than that. Consider HKChick's rapid collection of points. Look at Hardcore Mitsuko's and you will quickly realise that boobs=popular=points.

I live in a too serious world outside the Internet already and frankly I rather liked the silliness. Points were part of that.

2. Airsoft forums are for information. Some people will post only in the more sensible discussions and make an effort to pass around some airsoft information. Points in a persons rep score that related to reviews or other information imparted was a useful way of gauging whether they actually were considered knowledgeable in that subject. I am quite capable of distinguishing between points from group 1 or 2.

Personally I would want, for my own collection of points, a little from 1 and a lot from 2 since I put effort into posting things that are constructive.

I guess the negative points arguments simply fulled whatever numpty'ness numpty's have for posting stupid, ignorant, or plain rude things in the forums anyway. The Internet is awash with disruptive idiots. Only last night a repeated Team Killer ruined a fine game of CouterStrike and was eventually kicked.

Perhaps simply withdraw moderator support from points? Or have a once a month point wash? Or wash all retaliatory point battles clean away?

Either way, if they come back not much will change. The Internet is what it is, a simple miss typed word can cause anguish in the minds of those who take things to heart.

Basho

I'd prefer if points were only given out for informational purposes. The silliness is nice and all, but you don't really have to give points for it. If you hang out on the Off-Topic/Humor sections, you know who tends to make topics and threads that you enjoy, whereas if you come onto the Tech section, you'd need some better information about who to trust when giving you advice.

I think it should be removed from off topic, as this is primarily airsoft.

I quite like the system overall, as it encourages members to be helpfull and discourages members from being unhelpful and stupid - nobody wants a pile of neg reps!

However, it is used stupidly sometimes. Despite this, I think it gives a reasonable idea of what members think of other members.

Should you get a neg rep and totally disagree, then just write in a comment below it, but don't lose any sleep.

I don't give neg reps unless I feel it's something which REALLY deserves it, in fact I think I've given either none at all, or maybe 1.

You don't need the rep system to decide who has half a brain on here and who is helpful, or not. That is apparent quite quickly, but I still think it serves a purpose and is interesting.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and the use of session cookies.