Would you serve for your country?

5thElement

Would you serve for your country?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Would you serve for your country?

• Yes
    • No
    • Allready have

Basically, would you serve for your country in the Army/Navy/Air Force?

Yes, no or have you allready done it?

Just wondering how many people actually would or wouldn't, considering we're all obviously really into guns/military etc, but if it came down to it, would you do it for real?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the current situation stays stable...then no way. I wouldnt join up to fight for a monarch in any case, although that consideration runs a strong second to the fact that Im unfit and well out of shape!

However...if there came a time where Britain was under threat of invasion, Id be near the front of the volunteer queue.

It is not my first choice, but were I to be called up I would volunteer to do what I'm best qualified as - irrespective of the consequences (or lack thereof).

If I were to enlist (and I am strongly considering it after college) I would go in as a combat medic.

This puts it best:

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

nearly did back when I was a wee whipper-snapper knee-high to a grasshopper about 7 years ago.

Glad I didn't, all things considered...

I'd not join now anyway- I'm not the sort of person anymore who can take orders from anyone (ask nicely, and I'll always say yes. Shout at me and I'll nut you.) and I'm damned if I'm gonig to be used as a tool for what ever tit has managed to persuade the mob to vote for him at the next election.

I'd like to say I'd volunteer if ww3 broke out, but as I'm in the wrong country anyway, I'd probably have to get on a boat and sale home which, given how ww3 will probably play out, will mean I'll both be too late for the fighting and will be the only survivor :(

I'm considering joining the RAF or the Army.

But that's not really serving your country these days is it?

It's more serving other countries or the 'good of the world', helping out in disaster zones and whatnot. Let's not get into an Iraq debate.

I'd certainly be up for protecting England if it was under attack.

I wouldn't want to serve my country because it's my country, what England is being turned into isn't fantastic in my opinion, but I'd do it because it's where my family and friends are and because it's mine. Jonny foreigner is going to have to come through me before he takes it away.

Edit: Nice topic, hopefully it won't degenerate like many do.

Former TA, neck buggered up so i had to leave.

As it is then no I wouldn't if the circumstances were right i.e. the horde's are gathering on the other side of the channel, then yes you'd find me behind the nearest assault rifle, however I suspect that if it kicks off anytime soon I would find my country to be on the wrong side of the war. it's a difficult situation that I have been contemplating recently.

if I did consider my country to be fighting for the wrong side what would I do?

I couldn't fight for it, because it would be morally wrong. I couldn't swap sides because regardless of the politics(which is what it boils down too), I will never fire at my fellow countrymen, whom are too scared, ignorant (amazing how many people see 'them over there' as terrorists who need killing, thank you media <_< ) or fruitcaged by the system to do anything but what they are doing.

so that leaves me with two options do nothing as my friends and fellows go off to die or worse, or a medic which I'm not totally convinced I'd have the stomach for, and a red cross just makes a good target nowadays :( .

maybe go into journalism/ war photography, try to ensure that the courage on BOTH sides is shown and try to avoid just becoming part of the propaganda machine.

Meh i'm going into politics, the deluded youth who actually thinks he can change things.

Cheers

Mig

Archived