Armalite Picture Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Technically the CQBR is just the upper receiver (just to avoid confusion).

Granted, but even if you overlook the fact that he's changed the grip, rail system, BUIS, front sight post (?), that you'd see on the standard Mk.18, the simple fact that it lacks the correct lower receiver makes it not a Mk.18. Which is why, as stated above, it might be more appropriate if he called it an EOD CQBR, even though that's not exactly what it is, either...but it's closer :P

the EOD CQBR is a Mk. 18 and said above, the CQBR is just the upper receiver on a M4 lower receiver besides the only difference between a mk 18 and a M4 is the barrel length and the slight barrel twist difference between the two. since in airsoft we dont have barrel twists, the only real difference between an M4 and a mk 18 is the barrel length.

here is a Mk. 18

qq8v91.jpg

it too has a different pistol grip, rail system and rear BuIS, and stock, but its still a mk. 18.

Edited by codegeek2004

Not necessarily, I've seen a lot of people label the EOD guns as Mk18s, but you can tell from the cut of the front receiver pin that it's an M4A1 lower, which is NOT a mk18.

There's a general level of confusion as to what a mk18 is and what a CQBR is, and a lot of people mix the terms up so images get labeled as such. I just pooled through about 30 EOD pics, and all of them were M4A1 lowers, which are CQBRs.

I hate to copy and paste myself from another thread, but...

A Mk18 is an assembled weapon used by NSWC for the Navy. It's NOT a CQB/R. The differences are, and they do look similar, is that a CQB/R is an upper assembly kit that is meant to retrofit M4A1s in service. The CQB/R is used by SEALS, PJs, EOD, etc etc.

The Mk18 is a complete gun that is assembled by NSWC, but manufactured by LMT (and a few others contributing parts like Colt, CQD, etc.)

The Biggest difference is that the CQBR is built on an M4A1 lower, whereas the Mk18 uses an M16A1 lower (you can tell because the cut near the front receiver pin is not rounded but a harder edge cut). Because of this Mk18s have CRANE markings on the right side of the lower receiver, on the magwell "in white laser engraving". There's also specific markings on the upper receiver as well. It's all real subtle, but it's there.

Because the guns look similar there's some confusion. Mk18s are issued to VBSS, CQBR's are issued to SEALs. However SEALs are used in VBSS missions sometimes so you'll see some CQBRs mixed in.

I hope that helps.

For example:

CQBR: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...ialWarfare2.jpg

Mk18: http://www.navy.mil/management/photodb/pho...N-4374S-001.jpg

Just to add to Titleist's information, here are some great Mk.18 reference pictures, courtesy of SilentScope.

mk18smie4.jpg

mk18sighta2ia0.jpg

mk18cranehy4.jpg

@ codegeek2004

The first thing I noticed about your AR is that it lacked the Crane, Indiana stamp on the magwell. I know this is a very small detail but that alone makes it =/= a Mk.18.

Correct, that still gels with what we're saying. People are mixing up Mk18 and CQBR as if they were the same thing. The CQBR is an upper receiver assembly kit issued to armorers, what EOD and whatnot are getting are the CQBRs coming with M4A1 lowers already. The Mk18s are still navy VBSS only, I have never seen a Mk18 outside of VBSS. It's plainly obvious because of the right magwell engraving that's NOT visible on EOD photos. As well as the front pin cut.

Code it's still a cool gun, your gun, it's just a CQBR in nomenclature.

I should probably just let the whole MK18/CQBR discussion die, but some VBSS guys do use CQBRs (with the M4A1 lowers), though they also labeled it as "MK18" on their inventory check list. So I suppose any AR VBSS guys use with a 10.3 or 10.5 in barrel, they'll label it as a MK18 in the inventory. But based off the most strictest definition, a "MK18" does have a A1 lower and A1 pistol grip.

realsteelcqbrie9.jpg

This belonged to a VBSS team. However, this is quite rare, since most of the "MK18"s I see do have the A1 lowers with the Crane logo engraved on the side of the receiver as well. I don't have a picture of the opposite side of that particular entry carbine, so I don't know if it has the engraving as well.

With that said, that gun partially inspired me to model my CQBR (not "MK18" by definition since it has M4A1 lower) with the 6 position stock (instead of LMT Crane stock) I posted here earlier...

sideanglewp9.jpg

Edited by Souske

companion pictures to the uscg mk18 that souske posted, originals were posted on the ar15.com mk18 thread

pa130023vn3.jpg

pa130027yf9.jpg

pa130011uq3.jpg

looks to be 10.3" barrel

also noticed that this one use a crush washer and a normal A2 birdcage flashhider, instead of KAC silver shims and KAC QD type flash hider as seen on SEALs CQBRs

Edited by srpg
i agree with onslaught... silencer looks well made. great work!

Thanks!

srpg, great find! I didn't have pictures for the inventory list, but looks like you found them.

Thanks drake, and nice blaster, I like the Vltor furniture on there.

Edited by Souske

Does anybody have experience with fitting battery packs inside a buffer tube? I'd like to get a CTR stock and was initially considering lipos but changed my mind after seeing a few fireballs. :P

I found this out of the blue and was wondering if the same can be done for a G&P buffer tube? If so, what would be the specs? I don't mind it not being able to fully collapse so long as it can be set to the 2nd or 3rd position away.

119-stock-battery.jpg

And if somehow I'm forced to live life on the edge, what lipo would be recommended? I recall seeing some 11.1v lipos at RSOV but not sure if a stock AEG with G&P T connector could handle that. Do they make such batteries in 7.4v flavor? And what charger is recommended?

I guess if all else fails, I could just modify another vltor modstock, but emod this time around. Emod tubes are a hair longer, right?

Emods are longer, but you really cant go higher that 9.6v 1500mah in there withough either modding the bubber end caps or having a cell in the stock tube... Although you *might* be able to fit in a 10.8v or 12.8v with very little mods to the end caps and no cells in the buffer tube... I am thinking of trying to figure out whether it would be feasible to switch to 10.8v 200 mah cells, but then I would probably have two cells sitting in the buffer tube.... Not sure if thats a bad thing or not...

I think Davedawg was thinking about having a NiMH battery inside the buffer tube ONLY. I had a couple of designs to try and work it out, but any of the cells that would fit in there don't have a high enough discharge rate to run an AEG well enough.

That was his first question... His second pertained to modding an EMOD stock, in which case he meant the battery tubes that Vltor stocks come with....