1911 Picture Thread

Hardboiled Cop - love the gun :) .

I was thinking about getting one of the Prime Ultra Compact kits myself, but was wondering if you have to have a certain kind of donor model (Defender/V10/Officer) due to the inner barrel length and spacer thingy behind the grip, or if you can use any gun and buy the other bits separately?

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For my Prime V10 kit, I used the V10 as the donor gun. If your wanting an ultra-compact it's probably best to use a donor gun that already has the right bits. i.e. stuff like outer barrel, inner barrel, recoil spring, recoil plug and mainspring housing which are unique to the compacts. Of course you can mod a 5" recoil spring, buy the outer barrel separately as well as the mainspring housing (but I don't know if it comes with the internals, plus it's quite expensive) But there would still be a couple of bits you need. (plus if you start with a 5" donor gun, you'll need a new compact mag)

definately start with a v10, the defender's ring hammer is ugly IMO and it'll save you a lot of time if you use a compact as the base gun..

The TF kit was relatively easy to fit, nothing on the frame needed modding apart from slight filing of the mainspring housing.. of course, the slide and frame both needed a lot of filing just to fit together, took about an hour of filing to get the two running smoothly together..

hbc.

So, for my Black Stainless Springfield, what grips do you guys think I should put on it?

Some Pachmyers like on this one?

frag19112gt3.jpg

Or just some standard black ones like this one?

cimg1083xf0.jpg

At the moment, i'm leaning towards the Pachmyers.

how did u get an RS mag??

you dont live in the u.s

me thinks me smell conspiracy

:P

edit, and i vote the standard grips, you dont want to mix the grey of the pachmyres with the 2 tone black and silver of the gun, it wouldnt look right imo

Edited by phoenix360mute

lol, I didn't take those pic's. They're just for reference. Although, I do have a load of real steel mags, including 1911 ones. They are pefectly legal here. Hell, you can own a 100 rd C mag for an AR-15 if your willing to shell out $200 (which I may do some day because they look so damn cool) Its just the guns and bullets customs don't like you having. And the Pachmyers are black, not grey.

Edited by hitmanNo2

...and on that note:

HM1911a7.jpg

HM1911a2.jpg

HM1911a5.jpg

HM1911a1.jpg

HM1911a4.jpg

HM1911a3.jpg

and the grips and silencer (one of 'em at least) is going on this one next:

000_0244levelled.jpg

:)

If anyone can get/has got the AMT Hardballer triggers, such as that found on the WA CDP, please let me know. I may have said this before but still, these would look ten times better with AMT triggers :D

Edit:

God it took long enough to get these pics up here :lol:

Edited by evilhippy

Very nice Evilhippy, the Pach's look quite nice on both of those. Im not really a fan of them but I do indeed dig them dualed up like that...especially with the silencers.

Here's another shot of my new SA with some more tactical and practical Warrior grips. I love these grips.

SAWarrior_001.sized.jpg

SAWarrior_003.sized.jpg

SAWarrior_006.sized.jpg

Wow....those Hitman's are beautiful. Aren't you afraid its gonna get all scratched up? Man I wouldnt want to use a gun like that I would just put in on the wall for display.

WA's get sad when you leave them on display, they WANT to shoot people :D

Love the guns EvilHippy, they look great, if they were metal I'd be dying with jealousy instead of my standard level of jealousy for your gun collection ;)

Viscious, I still think it would look so much more amazing with a silver finish, and with some custom parts off Xfire like a flat mainspring, skeleton trigger and hammer, and maybe some controls.. it'd look fantastic! (perhaps thats a bit of a push though :) I should stop thinking like this, I can't afford it myself )

cheers, hbc.

Hippy -

Excelente.

I don't know if I can really explain it, but the American Legend grips make the weapons seem really, like "moody." Not sure if it's the grips themselves, or the photos, but in any case, congrats ;)

Edit: Yeah, hopefully I'll get my *albatross* round to fixing my sights to my 1911 this weekend so I can take some picshaws (weather provided)

Edited by Lithium Jack

Evilhippy-

Wowzers, those look better than I expected! Outstanding photo-graffy too!

Vicious-

I am really jealous of your new TM-Springy there! That is my next piece for sure. hmmm maybe I'll do American Legend grips.... ;)

BTW, I wonder about the 'oxidized' effect the grey aluminum of the Springfield slide and frame- That is fine for a 1911A1 Military, but I wonder if you think it takes away at all from the Springfield? Is there anyway to buff the finish maybe and get a little luster rather than the 'chalky' effect? My WA 1911A1 in metal is that way and its the only thing I don't completely love about the gun.

-G

Yeah the Guarder metal does not have a very nice finish, no where near as nice as the PGC Colt kit. I don't know what you could do to make the finish better...other than giving it a roll-around with the glass beads. I'm content with it's current state right now, we'll see what happens when I get bored.

Yeah the Guarder metal does not have a very nice finish, no where near as nice as the PGC Colt kit. I don't know what you could do to make the finish better...other than giving it a roll-around with the glass beads. I'm content with it's current state right now, we'll see what happens when I get bored.

Cool- And I didn't mean to imply that it was ugly or didn't suit the gun or what you have done to it so far- I was just saying the Guarder oxidizing can be a bit much.

....I'll just stop talking before I lose my whole foot, ankle and leg in there :blush:

Ocelot,

Steel wool won't make it mirror shine will it?

-G

Edited by Guinness

No, it will only make it a little smoother to the touch. If you don't feel safe using steel wool, grab yourself a Scotch Bright, and use the rough side to smoothen it up. It's a little more gentle compared to steel wool. I've done this with my Strider PT, to smoothen up the bead blasted area, as the original finish was making it easier to rust.

NOTE: Of course, a few light rubs will do the trick. Don't go crazy with it.

Edited by r.ocelot

I love my PGC kit on my 1911, ill get pics shortly

1911gu4.jpg

I couldnt remove my damn grips, the little gold metal piece that holds the screw in kept spinning, so the screw was just going in circles, and i couldnt stop the metal piece from moving. :( So i just sprayed my grips, i was gonna get guner grips, but if i cant remove these

Edited by Milla
stick your finger in the magwell, push on the golden piece from the other side as hard as you can, then try to unscrew it. It worked marvels for me.

I tried that, i cant hold that piece and screw at the same time, it just wont work. Atleast not enough to put enough pressure on it.

1911oe4.jpg