Armalite Picture Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ Renegade:

Why do you dislike the UBR? I was reading various stuffs about it on the Real Steel forums like AR-15, etc and they were all raving about how awesome it was, yet you call it a mere novelty and say ya like the CTR more?

Could you possibly elaborate? Thanks!

Absolutely. Don't get me wrong, the UBR is cool. Cool enough that I didn't want to sell it and the mounting gear for offers cerca $350 (paid $250 for the UBR). At AR15.com, Magpul and LaRue gear is awesome regardless of its effectiveness. Granted, both companies have done a phenominal job with their parts but people are far less than objective. That said, the people who claim to love the UBR more than likely have never actually run around with it shouldered... Shooting at the range and shooting in the field (at least as close as milsim airsoft will let it get) are totally experiences. Just like there are chairsofters here, arfcom has couch commandos who would rather invest in a $1500 ACOG than a little training in using their iron sights.

The UBR collapses to about the length of the CTR and extends, again, to about the same length. Its not particularily ergonomic and the storage doors aren't useful either... Figure anything you want to put in there either will a) not fit; or B) rattle until you get ###### off enough to throw the contents on the ground. In addition, the increased size/bulk adds to the weight but not in a manner that I can positively debate. In the case of the PRS, the weight helps balance the rifle/aeg in a fashion that allows more precision shooting (+1 for a precision stock) and is, more importantly, a concequence of its awesome ergonomics. The UBR, however, does not provide me or any of my buddies with a similar feeling. The extra bulk can't reasoned, either. This is where I draw the conclusion that the UBR is kinda a median between the CTR and PRS. The PRS is pricy and very bulky (dubbed the Magpul Brick) but very comfortable and adjustable. The CTR is like a new and improved collapsable stock with a better cheek weld and lighter. However, it doesn't have any additional adjustability (understandable as far as making it lightweight, utilitarian, and cost effective). The UBR kinda takes on all the negative aspects of the CTR and PRS given that its bulky, rather heavy, not too comfortable, and very pricy. In the pro column is the notion that its collapsable, provides a good cheek weld, and has some storage (weak, but still a pro).

So yeah, it looks awesome. In fact, it looks so awesome that the form overshadows the poor function. Again, I'm not above having it installed because of how novel it is but I doubt I'll ever bring it to a game above my PRS or CTR.

I hope that clears up a few things... Lemme know if there is something I can clarify.

Cheers.

I definitely prefer the look of the UBR without the compartment doors in place. From what you've described, it sounds like the UBR isn't much better than the Magpul M93 Stock.

Exactly. The M93 was like the beta version of the UBR... Magpul is now trading M93Bs for the new UBRs. Damn shame too. Oh well, they have something new on the horizon called the ACS I think.

Exactly. The M93 was like the beta version of the UBR... Magpul is now trading M93Bs for the new UBRs. Damn shame too. Oh well, they have something new on the horizon called the ACS I think.

The simple fact is the UBR was designed for real steel cheek weld and really only that. Since this isn't even remotely necessary in airsoft the functionality of a fixed and non-moving cheek weld, ensuring unchanged eye relief, and sustained accuracy is completely lost to us air-softers, unless you go w/ it for real steel too and you use airsoft as a cheap way to better your CQB combat skills.

Form is unrivaled. I think I stared at the first picture of a UBR for a good minute in awe of it.

On topic: jdizzle very nice cqb, simple and smoothe

Alot of people are putting UBR's on longer rifle, ie rifles with 16 and 18 inch barrels. They say that the extra weight of the UBR helps balance the rifle.

I dont think i would ever put a UBR on anything 14.5 inches and below, it just seems like too much stock for such a small package.

The simple fact is the UBR was designed for real steel cheek weld and really only that. Since this isn't even remotely necessary in airsoft the functionality of a fixed and non-moving cheek weld, ensuring unchanged eye relief, and sustained accuracy is completely lost to us air-softers, unless you go w/ it for real steel too and you use airsoft as a cheap way to better your CQB combat skills.

Haha I don't buy that. The cheek weld on the UBR is almost identical to that of the CTR. Whether using the UBR on an AEG or AR15 is almost irrelevant - recoil on the ar15 is not that much and, more importantly, your face should never move relative to the stock/upper your body. In addition, the CTR has more pieces available to get the same improved cheek weld that was used on the UBR. I shoot my AEG in the same manner that I shoot my AR15 and I believe the cheek weld to be just as important (if not moreso given the wider range of targets).

I hate to call it eye candy, but I think it sits with the CAA stocks that just look cool but don't really add anything.

my $.02

Damn.... Well at least that saves me money :) Also, what outer barrel are you using on that beautiful gun of yours? Thanks for the help BTW... I am on the fence about a Magpul AR-15 DMR project, and you've sold me on the PRS :) Now to make another gun or not :P

Haha not a problem... I like trying to help where I can. On my GR16, its just the stock 14.25" Magnesium barrel that I polished with sand paper and a dremel. The GR16 SBR has a 10.25" ECHO1 steel barrel.

When removing my triangle gas block, I tore the *suitcase* out of my barrel. Little did I know that there is a little hex screw that put pressure on the barrel so I just decided to sand off the finish. Figure it'd look like a match barrel and I got lucky that it turned out that way. Still need to hit it with something to smooth it out some more. Aaannnddd I need to get a low profile GB :P

DSCN0761.jpg

DSCN0763.jpg

DSCN2373.jpg

Some the 'hard to sand' areas have some keft over finish which makes the barrel look more used. As for the PRS, well good choice. Its a fine stock and I think you'll really enjoy it.

DSCN0768.jpg

Cheers.

Nice blasters QDR, 1st Commando, and jdizzle.

How solid are the UBR's when extended? I want to get one for a 6.8 AR for hunting and was wondering if it was solid enough to not effect accuracy.

It's built like a tank so its damn sturdy at any length. You should probably ask someone at ar15.com which buffer spring to use though; I know the .308 needs something special and I don't know where the 6.8 lies between the .223 and .308.

Cheers.

It's built like a tank so its damn sturdy at any length. You should probably ask someone at ar15.com which buffer spring to use though; I know the .308 needs something special and I don't know where the 6.8 lies between the .223 and .308.

Cheers.

Thanks dude.

I was considering getting a FDE UBR for my FDE rifle except (1) it might be too much stock for my gun, and (2) I can't find the UBR in-stock ANYWHERE. :angry:

MFR-Blaster

How do you find that ambi-catch? All the ambi-catches of that style I've come across didn't do a particularly good job of keeping my mags in. The spring on the left side didn't seem strong enough. <_<

Corps, On my 15 I used a G&P one and took the spring that came with it to home depot for a replacement one that worked better, it holds in marui standards & hicaps as well as MAG and star magazines good now.

DTP Body.

Edited by Faint